2008 Stashbusting CAL Game (winners posted #1835)

laughlovehook

What timezone are you in?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What timezone are you in?

• Outside of the US
    • Eastern GMT -5
    • Central GMT -6
    • Mountain GMT -7
    • Pacific GMT -8
    • Alaska or Hawaii GMT -9 GMT -10

The original skein can only be worth 2 points so you would get your 2nd point when all the little ones are used up.

That means I've been doing it right, which sure is better than having been doing it wrong and losing points. Looks like more granny squares today! Thanks for clarifying.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we get to count points for yarn used, but not really completed? I'm working on a project that uses three strands held together and when it's done, I will have used 3 skeins and probably a ball or two of scrap yarn. I'm about 75% done with each of the 3 skeins. Do I have to wait until I finish the skeins and/or project, or can I count one point each now for using more than half the skein of each?

You know, you get to count EACH skein and ball that you are giving away. So count them up! Also points count from Monday. So if you used any of the yarn before then, they don't count for this year.

You're kidding!!!! :yayI can count everything I pullled out on Tuesday!!!! :clapWOW... Now I have to go count them all tonight because the lady is coming to pick them all up tomorrow. I'll take a pic tonight.. just to prove I really did have that much to give away.

My closet is still so full it is scarry, but I'm really going to try hard not to buy anymore yarn until I use up some of these.

Question for all of you - when do you decide when a ball or skein is used up? I had some that were so low that they couldn't even do round 2 on a granny square, but I was able to semi-roll them. How do those count?

A lady in our Project Linus did one using a bunch of small scraps tied together. She just trimmed the ends so they were about 2 inches long and left it raggedy. It looked really cool.

I finished another skein last night on an afghan... so +2 more!

I'm almost done with the last plarn tote bag. I think I'm going to make another one with WW yarn for myself. I gave an elderly friend 2 skeins (+4) because she couldn't go out in the snow and ice. She said she would buy me more later, but I really hope she forgets. I'm doing good so far.

Ellie 13

OK, I'm in too ... I don't have as much as some, but I'm sure it's more than others. I have seven 58qt plastic containers cram packed full. I do more knitting than crocheting these days and that takes longer and doesn't use as much yarn ... but I'll take whatever dent I can get in my stash. ONly problem is that my MIL gave me a $50 gift cert to Michael's for Xmas that I haven't spent yet! UGH!!! BUT, I'm into making jewelry too, so maybe I'll spend it on beads and such instead of yarn. (Yeah, I know just another one of my addictions.)

Ok, as promised, here is a pic of the yarn I'm giving to my Project Linus group. It's three full kitchen sized garbage bags. It totalled

63 partial balls at 1 point each = 63

10 full skeins at 2 points each = 20

th_pics001.jpg

I will try to explain this all very simply, so as to avoid further confusion.

Any yarn already in your possession does not count against you. It is simply "there".

USING YARN:

- If it starts as a skein and you:

----> use it all up completely => SCORE +2

----> gift it, sell it, throw it out => SCORE +2

----> use enough of it that you roll it into a ball => SCORE +1

----> use some of it, but not enough to roll it into a ball => SCORE 0

- If it starts as a ball (ANY SIZE) and you:

----> use it all up completely => SCORE +1

----> gift it, sell it, throw it out => SCORE +1

----> use some of it, but not all of it => SCORE 0

GETTING YARN:

If you take yarn into your house in any way (gift, buy, grow)

If it is a "new" size, like you'd buy in the store => SCORE -2

If it is a "ball", some wound up size smaller than a new item => SCORE -1

Thank you crystal, sounds very clear to me. Only one thing, teach me how to grow it....:wink:hug

I was waiting for someone to see that! :lol

I saw that but was afraid to ask. My stash seems to be growing right before my eyes without buying or getting any from anyone, so growing it could be dangerous for me :lol:lol

I've decided I need to keep my skeins seperated so they can not reproduce...

Hee Hee Hee!!!:rofl

I'm in too...score zero right now, I have neither crocheted nor bought this year. Last year I did way to much buying though. Once when I was out of town I went to a Hobby Lobby and spent $200 on yarn. Ouch. It wasn't even expensive yarn. Just cotton colors that we don't have here, bernat camo, and a ton of Moda Dea Dream yarn that i got for $1.19 each (wowzer!!).

Time to get working on making stuff out of all that yarn....

Is it bad that my first thoughts as I read through the posts were about how to beat the system? Should I buy cones or pounders, since they will only count as one skein, or should I buy small balls of cotton since they will get used up fast. I had to stop myself, because that would completely miss the point of stash busting. I need stash busting.

How do I count the ball I am making out of scraps that are to small to use on anything else? I plan to make an "ugly" bag or afghan out of it when it gets big enough. For now though it is just a small ball of scraps about 2 1/2 in diameter. All acrylic ww yarn, and belive me this color combination will be ugly.

I assume that I can count the skeins I finish with just enough scrap left to go on the ball, as finished, but that I will have to count the scrap ball as a gained point once I add something to it this year. Once it is big enough to use then I suppose it should count as a skein gained. Does this seem right and fair?

Well, I did a lot of little projects tonite working up several small balls of yarn I had making coasters, dishcloths and a hot pad. My WTD total is getting better but still not as good as others! Oh well, I'm just wanting to be in the positive numbers at the end of the year!

I believe that my yarn stash has taken a clue from the dust bunnies and is multiplying... I've decided I need to keep my skeins seperated so they can not reproduce...

Oh my....I knew that feeling last year. I corraled them all into separate containers of single colors and made 2" squares with them until I only had skeins left and then I kept a really close one on those and the trouble makers had there own plastic totes.

I used up a 1/2 skein today making 6x9 rectangles for the troops +1

Sigh. I used up one skein making squares for the Warm Up America Crochet Along. Then I started my two afghans and had to buy yarn to make sure I had enough to finish. So now I'm at -8. But being part of the stashbusting group here did keep me from buying any more yarn than I absolutely had to have. My husband loves you guys.

What about returning yarn to the store because I bought too much? I know, that's bordering on sacrilege - too much yarn????

In my entire life this has never occurred to me :eek

Once I own yarn it is mine! It would be like returning the puppy. :no

:rofl

Returning it is like using it up or giving it away so it counts as +2 per skein.

I make the yo yo's or grannies daughters and then what's left I'm joining into a ball to make something with all the little scraps later.

Any ball no matter how tiny is a point. I usually weigh my skeins to see when I'm over the halfway mark but if I roll it into a ball before it's halfway I count the 1 point then wait till the other half of it gets used up to count the last point.

I used up 1 ball today on little squares so another +1 but I go to Micheals tomorrow with my gift card in hand and don't know what I'll come home with. :lol

I picked up 2 more skeins of Caron SS on my way to work so I had something to do before work.

Does anyone else feel a bit empty when all the holiday WiPs are done? I have other projects, but they're on hold until the yarn comes in. I really don't have anything else to work on that's on a deadline.

I picked up 2 more skeins of Caron SS on my way to work so I had something to do before work.

Does anyone else feel a bit empty when all the holiday WiPs are done? I have other projects, but they're on hold until the yarn comes in. I really don't have anything else to work on that's on a deadline.

Renee, I know what you mean. I find myself sort of wandering around the house looking at my stash and wondering what to do. So I started on the kitchen exchange items I am doing for another online crochet group. But I do feel a bit lost.

Archived