2008 Stashbusting CAL Game (winners posted #1835)

laughlovehook

What timezone are you in?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What timezone are you in?

• Outside of the US
    • Eastern GMT -5
    • Central GMT -6
    • Mountain GMT -7
    • Pacific GMT -8
    • Alaska or Hawaii GMT -9 GMT -10

I'm in. Since I am laid up from knee surgery, I am getting a lot of crochet time.

Good luck everyone.

:manyheart

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be my first year for Stashbusting CAL!I'm already at +2!:clap

I have a Wordpad document on my desktop.Here's today:

January

01:22yds:Turtle shell & 1rnd GS

93yds:Turtle body,2 stripes on Boyfriend hat & 2nd rnd on GS

35yds:5rnd GS & 3rd rnd on GS

+3

Editing to ask a question.

Is there a yardage minimum to count as a "ball".I sort my yardages into different projects,all the way from 2 1/2yds for a grannies daughter to 105yds for a Durango hat.I have a bunch of little balls I'll be using up for granny squares.Would it be more fair to count,say,20yds for a ball?

I am so glad I joined this CAL. The other day I saw a message on my local freecycle about a lady wanting leftover yarn to make squares. I kept it but didn't reply as I wasn't sure I had anything worth her making a trip for. But tonight I sat down and went through my whole stash! I've been meaning to for the last year because I only found out in this past year that I'm allergic to wool and I knew I had quite a few skeins in my stash somewhere. lol I've just bagged up 16 full skeins PLUS 2 small bags of odd bits (small amounts of leftovers, half skeins etc..). All ready for her to come pick up tomorrow.:clap

Also, joining this CAL made me think differently today when I was working on a hat for my DS. I started his hat with 2 partially used skeins and when I finished the hat, I normally would have tossed what was left into a bag and forgot about it but not this time.....I made a small drawstring bag and even had enough left to start a second drawstring bag! So when I finish that bag, I'll be able to add 2 to my score! Yeah!! Thanks so much for this CAL. I figure if I make little bags with leftovers, I'll have enough to give out next Christmas to everyone I know. lol

There are more! My SO is the stash police too. Actually not only is he that, but he is the craft FBI as well. I'm surprised he hasn't taken a job with the IRS and audited my stash to make sure I don't buy any new yarn. Which he probably should because I spent $150 between Joann's and Michaels on Dec 31. Poor guy. I had to find some good hiding spots in my closet. Its getting difficult though, there is no more room.

:lol:lol I hear you!!!

Well I used up 2 balls today making squares for a comfort shawl. Resisted the urge to hit Michael's for the 30% off on all yarn. Packed up 3 balls and 7 skeins for one friend but won't count it until it is shipped out. (I have this tendency to take stuff back, when it is something I really like):D. Also have 3 skeins and a few balls of rug yarn to send out. Does rug yarn count too?

So I am at +2 until the other stuff is shipped out.:) Gotta go fix my siggy.

when I have just a little left over I make grannie daughters or just circles and put them in a bag... the squares I add extra rows to until they are about 5 rows then join them and make lapghans for charity... the circles I join together and make toys... a row of circles joined with a string up the middle make good arms and legs then I just make solid bodies... sometimes I just make a length of circles and hang them for my kitties to play with...

sometimes I just start crocheting a granny square and tie on a new scrap of yarn when I get to the end of one... these I use in the car... for my grandgirls baby dolls... to throw on the floor for the grandgirls to play on... I don't even bother to tuck in ends on these... the girls like the little tassels...

Just call me the 'Trail Blazer' of this Cal :lol:lol

And when the yarn calls your name, you can't buy just one skein. It looks so lonely in the cart that it either: 1) tells you to buy more of it's friends...or 2) it tells it's friends to just jump right in the cart, that you won't mind taking them all home :rolleyes

:think I can never understand how they do that. Just go in for one or two things and the next thing I know is when I get to the line the cart is full!!!

:hook

I want to join in.

Question: This only counts for yarn and thread? We dont have to count other craft related items? (like stuffing for amigurumi, buttons, snaps, sewing needles, etc?)

I certainly hope not, :eek. I would go nuts counting all that, besides if we are trying to reduce our stash and not buy more, we need to have something to put in our carts, ;):lol

I'm gonna join in on this one. My DH has started getting that look when I bring home a bag that has yarn in it... you know the look that says "You got MORE yarn?!?!" :lol Eh... he loves me in spite of it. :D

I bought one of those hanging sweater organizers (the ones with shelves) to store my yarn. It's full to busting and I've still got boxes and bags of yarn threatening to take over my closet. I figure if I use up a good bit of my stash this year I might be able to see more of my clothes and shoes! :yes I hope to get through 4 skeins of RHSS this week making winter gear for my kids that I didn't finish last year. We'll see how that goes. Back to :crocheting for me. I'm almost done with my step-son's hat. :D

Editing to ask a question.

Is there a yardage minimum to count as a "ball".I sort my yardages into different projects,all the way from 2 1/2yds for a grannies daughter to 105yds for a Durango hat.I have a bunch of little balls I'll be using up for granny squares.Would it be more fair to count,say,20yds for a ball?

Normally we count a ball as anything less than 1/2 a skein. So it's really up to your judgment what you want to consider a point worthy ball.

I want to join in.

Question: This only counts for yarn and thread? We dont have to count other craft related items? (like stuffing for amigurumi, buttons, snaps, sewing needles, etc?)

We only count points for thread and yarn. Not supplies.

Does rug yarn count too?

Like Krystal said, Rug yarn counts

I am so in I am working on using up 3 skeins as we speak making itty bitty squares for a quilt gahn. I also have some skeins and balls I am working on using up for the Groove Along. So this cal should make my b/f happy he hates it when I buy new yarn and always yells that I have to much when we go to the store and I pet it lol.

SO far, so good.... +2 for a lb'r I just finished up on a RR. I'll hafta quit that one for the night tho, the tub I need to get to with the new skein is 2 or 3 down in the pile & I'm not in the mood to be moving those things right now :lol

Glad to see I'm not the 1st one in the hole!! :rofl

No, you aren't. I bought 2 skeins today at Micheal's for the Warm Up American challenge. **sigh** I need to finish my roomie's sweater first, but I wanted to have them on hand so I can jump right in.

I am so glad that I found all that yarn on sale... last week instead of this week :rofl:whew

I am working it...but I am way too slow, or I guess lacking in focus to get through yarn quickly.

Normally we count a ball as anything less than 1/2 a skein. So it's really up to your judgment what you want to consider a point worthy ball.

I will count individual 35yd balls to make 5-rnd gs as 1 point.I will count the smaller balls when they complete a project(turtle,hat,etc).

Final count for today:

January

01-22yds:Turtle shell & 1rnd GS

93yds:Turtle body,2 stripes on Boyfriend hat & 2nd rnd on GS

35yds:5rnd GS & 3rd rnd on GS-red

35yds:5rnd GS & 3rd rnd on GS-hunter green

35yds:5rnd GS & 3rd rnd on GS-violet

34yds:5rnd GS & 1rnd GS-camel tan

34yds:5rnd GS & 1rnd GS-grass green

+7

Ok. Today I was supposed to teach my friend to knit, but due to several detours, we only managed to stop in Michaels and pick up 2 skeins of yarn and I showed her the basic knit stitch. I DIDN'T BUY ANYTHING! Woo Hoo! Thats the good news. The bad news is I've given someone my addiction and her husband is gonna come after me in about 6 months when her stash is as bad as mine.

Plus I gave her 1 full skein and 2 balls from my stash so I guess that gives me 4 points. This is turning out to be a positive day!

I just finished using another skein of yarn :clap:clap

I am making a scarf for my future DIL. It is working up fast....2 skeins so far today. At this rate, I will hopefully be back to zero or even on the plus side soon :hook

Archived