2008 Stashbusting CAL Game (winners posted #1835)

laughlovehook

What timezone are you in?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What timezone are you in?

• Outside of the US
    • Eastern GMT -5
    • Central GMT -6
    • Mountain GMT -7
    • Pacific GMT -8
    • Alaska or Hawaii GMT -9 GMT -10

A continuation of 2007's game. With the start of the new year, you get to start with zero's for your point score. Participants from the 2007, wipe the slate clean and start anew! If you want, keep your 2007 score in your siggy as a reminder to "DO BETTER". :cheer

If your new to our very addictive game, here are the rules!

Everyone who's going to join us, put a line in your signature for Stashbusting Score. Example: Week to date (WTD) +6 Year to date (YTD) -615

Post your scores by 8pm on Saturday. Shortly after, we'll tally the scores and see who is that week's winners. To help us find your final score among the other posts, make it obvious! Like this: My final score for this week is -56 but we hope that your scores will be positive! :eek:clap

Posting time is 8pm EASTERN TIME Saturday.

For every SKEIN of yarn you use up completely, you get 2 points.

For every SKEIN of yarn you turn into a small ball, you get 1 point.

For every ball of yarn you use, you get 1 point.

For every SKEIN you buy, get given or inherit, you LOSE 2 points!!!

For every BALL you buy, receive or inherit, you LOSE 1 point!

Clarification: for those of you confused by my terms. "A Skein" is a brand-new bundle of yarn, a whole unit you buy at the store (or its equivalent, if you wind into cakes) "A Ball" is when you use up half or more of the skein and have to wind it by hand to prevent it from getting knotted.

You will only get 2 points total for any one skein. 2 points if you use the whole thing all at once. Or, one point if you're using a partial skein started on another project and FINISH it off. Or, a point if you start a skein and use it on a project, then have to store it because your project is done.

It's just a fun game for some of us who have a bit more than we need to bring our stash down to manageable proportions.

Of course, when your stash is gone, the prize is that you GET TO BUY MORE!!!! :rofl

This is an on-going CAL - Feel free to join at any time!

This was brought up a few times in the old thread:

When you start playing with us for the first time, you DON'T count what's in your stash. For some of us, that's just impossible! You get points when you use up what's in your stash, or lose points when you add to your stash. Also, points are counted if you crochet OR knit.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds like a load of fun. I have a good amount of stash that I inherited when my grandmother passes away in 1999. I am so thankful that I kept it even though I wasn't crocheting at the time. Can't wait to get started.

I'm in. I do have a question though. If you buy a skein because a comfortghan (or other charity project) calls for a color you don't have on hand, does that skein count in the totals?

Edited: I've got my spreadsheet already made up and I'm ready to go.

I zeroed out my stashbusting score when the rules for signatures changed, but I'm still tryng to bust some stash, so I may join back up for 2008. I don't have much money right now to buy yarn anyway, which I suppose is a good thing. That ought to help with the whole stashbusting effort.:lol

That's why I decided to join this one. I need to seriously save some money this year and get my finances back in order. I'm hoping by having to be accountable it will make me think twice before I buy any yarn just because it's pretty.

I'm in! I really need to use up some of my stash according to my DH and DS. :lol

Now just so I make sure I understand....we add our stashbusting totals to our signature and update that whenever necessary AND once a week come to this thread and post our score??

To answer an earlier question: everything counts even if you buy it for a comfortghan. The good this is if you use it right away, it'll come right out of your score!

I'm back in for this year. My stash is a bit smaller this year, but I'm moving soon so I need to get it under control a bit more!

Now just so I make sure I understand....we add our stashbusting totals to our signature and update that whenever necessary AND once a week come to this thread and post our score??

Most of us update in the thread when we use something up. Feel free to check the old thread and see how we have been doing it. But at least, post on saturday with your weekly total.

Any chance we can get extra points for using our stash to make 7X9 Warm Up America squares for the Caron SS group contest that Crochetville is entering?

No extra points. A skein is worth 2 points no matter what it's used for. We have to keep the rules the same for everyone.

Considering my YTD in the current Stashbusting CAL sits at -2114, I believe I should join this one too :rofl

It just wouldn't be the same with out you! :lol

:think Is this limited to only yarn? Does thread/kitchen cotton count?

I have more thread than yarn, and would love to use this "game" as an incentive to use this up, too.

Yes, thread counts too! But in the same point rules as well. So a super big thing of thread, like the ones that are over a mile long, still only counts as 2 points when purchased and 2 points when the WHOLE thing is used up. If you use up one that is 1/2 gone, then you'll still get one point. So your point progress will be very slow when using up thread, but they still count!

I'll join in on this one. I lost count of what I was using and buying these past few months so dropped out of the 2007 game but I just bought a ton of yarn for a couple projects I'm planning for 2008 so this will help a lot.

I'm so glad you're doing this again for 2008! I didn't join last year but kept wanting to and decided if there was a new one for the new year I'd join in so COUNT ME IN! One of my goals for the new year is to really take control of my stash and to try and tame my spending on new yarn when I don't need it!

P.S. I'm making a scarf right now with a skein of yarn I've had for 2 years. Can you believe how much I procrastinate when I buy yarn? I love buying it but then I can never decide how to use it!

woo-hoo! ready to start the year off on a "positive" note...guess that means i should wait and finish my almost-done sweater on the 1st and buy a bunch of yarn now before '08! ;)

yeah right, like that will stop me from buying more...but i'm in!:clap

I'm confused about how you get a positive total for the year without a huge stash of yarn. In theory if you use exactly what you gain, your total will be zero. My stash isn't very big (I've seen what many of you have in yours - my 12 skeins and 8 balls is nothing :P). I feel like I would definitely end the year in a negative status and that doesn't seem very motivating to me.

I'm confused about how you get a positive total for the year without a huge stash of yarn. In theory if you use exactly what you gain, your total will be zero. My stash isn't very big (I've seen what many of you have in yours - my 12 skeins and 8 balls is nothing :P). I feel like I would definitely end the year in a negative status and that doesn't seem very motivating to me.

My stash isn't large either. I found 42 skeins of yarn, but still looking around the house for more. And this doesn't include thread, which I'm going to try and inventory tomorrow. But my goal is to use as much of this as I can. I really don't have the storage space for much, so I want to use up what I have because my DH thinks I have too much stuff just laying around this tiny house! oooh if he only saw what some of you have for stashes he'd die!!!

Cesa.......to answer your question you dont count what you already have on hand, but what you purchase, get as a gift or such. If you go purchase 2 skeins then you would post a -4...2 points for each....

If you use 2 skiens from your stash that you already have you would post a +4. hope this helps.....

And please count me in again this year.....i am trying to use up those negatives!

Those people who have HIGH YTD scores basically chipped away at their stashes and used up a bunch more than they bough. If you've only got 20 skeins of yarn right now, then the most in the positives you could get is to be +40. However, this shouldn't deter you, because you could use it as a way to make sure your stash doesn't GET out of control!!!

Archived