2008 Stashbusting CAL Game (winners posted #1835)

laughlovehook

What timezone are you in?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What timezone are you in?

• Outside of the US
    • Eastern GMT -5
    • Central GMT -6
    • Mountain GMT -7
    • Pacific GMT -8
    • Alaska or Hawaii GMT -9 GMT -10

I'm slowly making squares and am not finishing any skeins up (yet). I am also heading out of town tomorrow morning and won't be doing any crochet wile I'm away. My score will stand at zero until after the 13th.

Good luck to everyone else :cheer

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna give this a try! Luckily for me, my stash isn't too unmanagable right now and I'm working on 3 seperate projects that use yarn I already have on hand. Unluckily (and luckily) I also have a gift card BURNING a hole in my wallet. Actually that hole has burned thru the wallet into my purse. Must-----resist------temptation!!

I have been trying to use up my stash for my charity projects. :crocheting Joining this Stash Busting game will help and keep me motivated to use what I have on hand. YEAH RIGHT!!:rofl

Have not been able to pick up a hook for a couple weeks and won't be able to for a couple weeks more (cyst on my hand) Talk about having withdrawls!!:thair So I will start the count as soon as I get the o.k. from the dr. Just watch how fast that yarn disappears then.:crocheting:crocheting:crocheting

The bad news is I've given someone my addiction and her husband is gonna come after me in about 6 months when her stash is as bad as mine.

Aaaah, that's what *I* call PAYING IT FORWARD!!! :lol:rofl

I also have a gift card BURNING a hole in my wallet. Actually that hole has burned thru the wallet into my purse. Must-----resist------temptation!!

Yep, had that happen - better spend it before it burns through the purse and falls out - what a disaster!

I am now in the positives! I finished a skein last night!

Wow, it's great to have so many people playing this year! Welcome!

I finally finished the sweater and it's AWESOME. To that end, I finished 8 skeins tonight/today. I'm exhausted just thinking about much work went into this thing. I'll get a picture up as soon as she puts it on.

Well ...I've had a wake up call.....kind of......

Last night I was working on a project, adn needed a certain color...I knew I had purchased several months ago. So...I went stash diving. :help And I realized that I have waaaay to much yarn...some of which I have no intention of ever using on anything in particular. I did eventually find the skein I was looking for.....at the bottom of one of my totes. :P

So...I guess it's time for me to see if I can do a little stash busting in 2008. I have 2 scrap 'ghans going right now, so I should be able to get some stash out.....if only I could finish up the last 2 Chrsitmas gifts! :blush

So...I'm in!

My only problem with stashbusting (other than buying more yarn :)) is that I don't know what to do with under a skein of a bunch of different colors that totally don't match. I tried making a scrap project with them, but neons and earth tones really look terrible together (duh). I finally settled on making squares and just piling them back somewhere until there's enough to make a decent looking blanket, but that could take a long time.

Moving right along I did more on the comfort/prayer shawl. Used 1 ball and 2 half skeins (rolling remainder into balls). So how does that work? I know that the 1 ball used is +1, but how do I count the half skeins? Is it +2 for 2 ball sized used, or -2 for 2 balls gained although I already had them as skeins, or do they cancel each other out?

Wow, I have really confused myself. :confused. I think it should be +2 but just have this need to check, even though the stash police don't really care as long as it isn't a stranger coming into the house....:lol.

Okay, I'm in! I added the siggy line and it looks very nice with little round zeros now, but it'll be changing way too soon ... I'm heading to Hobby Lobby later to get some yarn for a specific project. Hopefully those 2-3 skeins will be the only ones to jump in the cart ... but I'm not making any promises LOL!

Yay! My first CAL!

Count me in again this year, will keep my score from last year in my sigi.

Needed to buy some more yarn today to complete a project, they didn't have the yarn I needed so bought an alternative instead and a contrasting yarn just cause it was in the bargain bin.

2 balls -4

Used up 1 full ball of cream and 1 partial ball of cream making sqaures +3

So that makes me -1 so far this week.

I used up two balls yesterday trying to finish up a long overdue WIP. Hopefully I will finish the project tonight and be able to get it off my conscience. So that leaves me +2 for the week so far.

Sara

My only problem with stashbusting (other than buying more yarn :)) is that I don't know what to do with under a skein of a bunch of different colors that totally don't match. I tried making a scrap project with them, but neons and earth tones really look terrible together (duh). I finally settled on making squares and just piling them back somewhere until there's enough to make a decent looking blanket, but that could take a long time.

That seems to be your best bet right now. It doesn't matter how long, but some day you will need a quick blankie, and they'll be there waiting for you. Of course there isn't all that much of a problem with buying more, as long as you use them right away....:D:lol, and the stash police don't catch you..;)

Okay, I'm in! I added the siggy line and it looks very nice with little round zeros now, but it'll be changing way too soon ... I'm heading to Hobby Lobby later to get some yarn for a specific project. Hopefully those 2-3 skeins will be the only ones to jump in the cart ... but I'm not making any promises LOL!

Yay! My first CAL!

It's not the 2-3 skeins you need for your project you have to worry about, it's all of it's friends that don't want to be left behind :lol

You have to be very sneaky if you only want to buy 2 or 3 skeins.....you have to stand there, look at it all, find what you need, grab them, throw them in the cart, then run real fast away from the yarn section :yes:yes

Moving right along I did more on the comfort/prayer shawl. Used 1 ball and 2 half skeins (rolling remainder into balls). So how does that work? I know that the 1 ball used is +1, but how do I count the half skeins? Is it +2 for 2 ball sized used, or -2 for 2 balls gained although I already had them as skeins, or do they cancel each other out?

Wow, I have really confused myself. :confused. I think it should be +2 but just have this need to check, even though the stash police don't really care as long as it isn't a stranger coming into the house....:lol.

The point is that any given skein is only worth 2 points either plus or minus.

You do not count balls that are formed from yarn you already had. You can claim 1 point for the yarn you did use from a skein and then when that skein is totally completed, you can get your other point.

I think it might help if you refer to the general rules about what is a skein and what is a ball.

A skein is an unused quantity of yarn as purchased.

A Ball is what remains from a skein when you have used some of it and possibly rewound it to a smaller shape. I think you are using the opposite words... :think

Oh I am sooooo in:D I need this really bad, my stash is just way out of control. :lol I added the signature also and I am hoping this helps me not to buy yarn!:eek

I'm in. I read the rules and got them, however I read somewhere that you get pts from keeping a crochet journal which I do. Was it another game? Or I am confused one more time? LOL :P

It's not the 2-3 skeins you need for your project you have to worry about, it's all of it's friends that don't want to be left behind :lol

You have to be very sneaky if you only want to buy 2 or 3 skeins.....you have to stand there, look at it all, find what you need, grab them, throw them in the cart, then run real fast away from the yarn section :yes:yes

I can just see the looks on my girls' faces ... they'll be wondering if I've finally flipped LOL! And they're no help either ... they like the pretty yarns just as much as I do ... hmmm ... maybe I should start a stashbusting line in my siggy just for their skeins LOL!

I'm in!!!! I just cleaned out my yarn closet and have 3 full bags of give away yarn (for my local Project Linus group) but still have a full closet.

I used 6 full skeins last week doing a round ripple. I have lots of WIP's to finish, so hopefully I can use more of my stash quickly. I also promise not to buy any more yarn, at least until I finish what I'm working on now.:devil

My total for this week is: +6

I'm in!!!! I just cleaned out my yarn closet and have 3 full bags of give away yarn (for my local Project Linus group) but still have a full closet.

I used 6 full skeins last week doing a round ripple. I have lots of WIP's to finish, so hopefully I can use more of my stash quickly. I also promise not to buy any more yarn, at least until I finish what I'm working on now.:devil

My total for this week is: +6

You know, you get to count EACH skein and ball that you are giving away. So count them up! Also points count from Monday. So if you used any of the yarn before then, they don't count for this year.

woo woo:cheer

Im in! My stash has taken over my closet and the pathway to DH's dresser:eek...oh and under the bed...and in DD's bedroom...and um well I need this challenge:blush

Archived