2008 Stashbusting CAL Game (winners posted #1835)

laughlovehook

What timezone are you in?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What timezone are you in?

• Outside of the US
    • Eastern GMT -5
    • Central GMT -6
    • Mountain GMT -7
    • Pacific GMT -8
    • Alaska or Hawaii GMT -9 GMT -10

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in. I don't have a huge stash, but I don't need it geting any bigger. I'll be happy if I end the year at a 0, thrilled with a +.

Unfortunately, yesterday I went out with one of my friends and picked up 6 :eek skeins. It's for a project I'm starting tonight, double stranded at that!

So, I guess for this year I'm already and a -12, but hopefully in a week or two will be back to a 0!

i used 3 skeins on a baby blanket.....+6

but then the other skeins didnt match so i have to start over....and my dd needs 2 for friends so went to the store and came home with 12 skeins....-26

so the grand total so far for the week is -18! arg!

Oooh...can I join in? I have a fairly large stash...not complete rooms or anything, but it takes up a fair amount of space in the closet. Didn't have a terrible stash until a year or so ago when someone gifted my friend with two large orange trash bags full of yarn. Like any good friend, she gave me half. I told myself that I need to use some of it up before I buy more, but I keep forgetting. :-)

I used up two balls of Homespun yesterday on a scarf. That would give me +2, right? Oh, wait, I bought a skein of yarn as well. That brings me back to 0. Drat. Oh, well. I'll be working on the scarf again tonight, so maybe I'll get back into positive numbers soon.

I'm in. 3 skeins just showed up at my door on Dec. 30 (late X-Mas gift?). Since Jan. 1st I've used up 2 large plarn balls (+2). If I just make a enough to finish the 5th tote bag, the score would be 0. I'm not sure what to make in 2008. I hope to think of something soon.

Ellie 13

i didn't get near a Michaels - they don't sell Caron in Canada anyway - but I did buy a new coat so now I need a hat and scarf to 'go with'. This should be good for a pounder gone :yes

My SIL was gifted 6 skeins of dk-weight merino gold yarn.She had no use for it,so she gifted it to me,last year.She said I could have whatever was leftover after I made a hat for the lady who gifted the yarn to her.

I used 2 1/2 50g skeins,using my Cheyenne hat pattern,holding 2 strands together.I also made a flower pin with one strand,for the hat.The leftover 1/2 skein,I used on a neckwarmer I designed specifically to use up the last 57yds.3 full skeins used!:clapI also used 3 old buttons(my second weakness behind yarn:blush)on the neckwarmer & 1 button on the flower pin.

I can see that I will be designing quite a few things for small bits of yarn to keep my numbers up.

The point is that any given skein is only worth 2 points either plus or minus.

You do not count balls that are formed from yarn you already had. You can claim 1 point for the yarn you did use from a skein and then when that skein is totally completed, you can get your other point.

I think it might help if you refer to the general rules about what is a skein and what is a ball.

A skein is an unused quantity of yarn as purchased.

A Ball is what remains from a skein when you have used some of it and possibly rewound it to a smaller shape. I think you are using the opposite words... :think

OK, got it. Then it is +2 for using the yarn from 2 seperate skeins, and what you are saying is that I cannot count the balls I already had, only new ones I make? Which will mean finding a new storage bin for new 2008 balls as I have a bunch from 2007 skeins I had gotten and used part of.

What confuses me is if this is a stash busting thing, how come I get to count my full unused 2007 skein, but can't use a ball left from a 2007 skein. They are both part of my stash.

Example: I bought 5 skeins in December for a shawl and used 3 and 1/2 skeins, leaving 1 and 1/2 skeins (I rolled the half into a ball). when I use them I will get +2 for the skein and nothing for the ball? Is that right?

Only the second day of the year and I'm in the negatives. How does this happen? I bought five skeins or random yarn today for no realy reason other than I want to see how the colors go together.

-10 so far.

what you are saying is that I cannot count the balls I already had, only new ones I make?

What confuses me is if this is a stash busting thing, how come I get to count my full unused 2007 skein, but can't use a ball left from a 2007 skein. They are both part of my stash.

You can count any ball you use , including any you had left from 2007. That is how you get your numbers.

You can count any ball you use , including any you had left from 2007. That is how you get your numbers.

OH, thank you. That certainly makes life a lot easier....

ya know what...When School starts I won't have as much time open for crocheting, but I think I'm going to join in this year...I'm worried because I know I have a problem (I've come to find that buying yarn seems to be a common addiction) But maybe this will get me to kick it in gear and get some things done :) Anyway...I'm in!

One question....I'm not much for smaller or scrap projects, so I like to take my smaller "balls" (anywhere from 1/8 to 1/2 skein) and gift or RAOK them to others....do these count in my score?

I used up a ball today on a square for +1 :yay but I'm probably going to Micheals on Friday so I better get more yarn used up before then so I don't go so deep in the negatives after that shopping trip :lol

ya know what...When School starts I won't have as much time open for crocheting, but I think I'm going to join in this year...I'm worried because I know I have a problem (I've come to find that buying yarn seems to be a common addiction) But maybe this will get me to kick it in gear and get some things done :) Anyway...I'm in!

One question....I'm not much for smaller or scrap projects, so I like to take my smaller "balls" (anywhere from 1/8 to 1/2 skein) and gift or RAOK them to others....do these count in my score?

Yes, anything that you use/give away/sell/etc counts in your score.....

With that being said above, I sent off a gift package today with 4 different balls of yarn...so my score is +4.....yay! I hope to also finish off another skein (and hopefully another WIP) tonight...so we'll just have to see! Luckily, I bought my 6 skeins for my next project about a week and a half ago so it doesn't hurt me any, lol But I know better then to get too excited, I know I'll buy more!

OK, got it. Then it is +2 for using the yarn from 2 seperate skeins, and what you are saying is that I cannot count the balls I already had, only new ones I make? Which will mean finding a new storage bin for new 2008 balls as I have a bunch from 2007 skeins I had gotten and used part of.

Example: I bought 5 skeins in December for a shawl and used 3 and 1/2 skeins, leaving 1 and 1/2 skeins (I rolled the half into a ball). when I use them I will get +2 for the skein and nothing for the ball? Is that right?

Ok I am explaining this all wrong.

You will get 2 (+) points for using your full skein and you will get 1 (+)point when you use the ball that you have. using up the stash is the whole idea and you get points for doing so.

You will never have the (currently owned) skeins and balls counted against you because you already have them. (- points) it is only yarn that you buy from now on that will get you into trouble.

I think I should shut up now because I can't seem to make it make sense... anyone else able to answer this?

I'm so excited! I've already started with a plus score! Temps are supposed to be down to 18 tonite (it doesn't usually get that cold down here in Florida) and I realized I didn't have a scarf since I always give them away when I make them so I whipped one up using a skein of yarn from my stash! WOO-HOO!

This really is a lot of fun! I hope this really helps me keep my stash under control! Of course, my best friend got me a JoAnns gift card for Christmas so I will probably be in the minus department once I go shopping! LOL

One question? Since I am in the middle of working on 2 major WIP's, one of them being an afghan with 3 colors how does that work? Do I not count anything until I use up an entire skein of something? I do a little each night but I'm using Caron One Pounders for the 2 main colors so won't have those run out for awhile... Just wondered....

THANKS everyone!!!

I will try to explain this all very simply, so as to avoid further confusion.

Any yarn already in your possession does not count against you. It is simply "there".

USING YARN:

- If it starts as a skein and you:

----> use it all up completely => SCORE +2

----> gift it, sell it, throw it out => SCORE +2

----> use enough of it that you roll it into a ball => SCORE +1

----> use some of it, but not enough to roll it into a ball => SCORE 0

- If it starts as a ball (ANY SIZE) and you:

----> use it all up completely => SCORE +1

----> gift it, sell it, throw it out => SCORE +1

----> use some of it, but not all of it => SCORE 0

GETTING YARN:

If you take yarn into your house in any way (gift, buy, grow)

If it is a "new" size, like you'd buy in the store => SCORE -2

If it is a "ball", some wound up size smaller than a new item => SCORE -1

I wandered into Micheals today and some yarn threw itself at me (-8 for 4 skeins) but I gifted 4 skeins to charity today as well (+8), so my score hasn't changed. I've got a lapghan going at the moment, so I may end up positive this week.

Archived