2008 Stashbusting CAL Game (winners posted #1835)

laughlovehook

What timezone are you in?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What timezone are you in?

• Outside of the US
    • Eastern GMT -5
    • Central GMT -6
    • Mountain GMT -7
    • Pacific GMT -8
    • Alaska or Hawaii GMT -9 GMT -10

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in. This will be helpful, maybe. I'm glad it starts tomorrow. I just bought 9 skeins of yarn. I know I'll have to buy three more in the next couple weeks (as soon as Michael's restocks the yarn that I bought out), but maybe I'll even out my score by then!

Thanks for clarifying my quickness. I am think I am done using for the year. Hopefully, I'll start the year out on the right foot and work up some stash.

Well unless you want the other award :rofl The shoot the moon! Sometimes there's more of a battle for that award than first place :blush Nght ! :devil:lol

MOI?!???

:angel

I'm confused about how you get a positive total for the year without a huge stash of yarn. In theory if you use exactly what you gain, your total will be zero. My stash isn't very big (I've seen what many of you have in yours - my 12 skeins and 8 balls is nothing :P). I feel like I would definitely end the year in a negative status and that doesn't seem very motivating to me.

i think the idea is more to motivate yourself to shrink your stash and less to compete points-wise...the points are kind of just for fun. and, in case it helps, even with a ridiculously large stash i am almost certain to end the year in a negative status due to my addiction to buying yarn (and a great discount store in town with a huge yarn section)

so you could still join and have fun:lol

Well I got 6 more skeins today so hopefully I won't have to buy any for a bit and can get my positives going this year. :) There is still that pesky little gift card to Micheals hanging around though. :hehe

I tried and failed misrebly at this last year. i will try again this year since as of lately I have been using up alot more yarn than I have been buying. So, I'm in! maybe I can keep a posotive score this time. hehe

Well, I HAD to buy 2 more skeins of yarn.....I got them after the 2007 scores were tallied, but before midnight, so I don't know where to put them.....doesn't seem fair that those skeins wouldn't count. So I'm going to put them on my score for 2008....so basically, it's not even midnight and I'm -4 in the hole!!! :eek:blush

This is my first year at the game...I had a gift card plus Michaels was having a sale and I had a list of projects, so needless to say, I had a good buying day yesterday. There really isn't a need for me to purchase anymore yarn for a while but we know how that goes. I've got an afghan, scarf and doily in the works right now.

Well I ended the year getting the shoot the Moon... it wasn't my fault people kept GIVING me yarn... plus I had to go buy 8 skeins yesterday for the quiltghan I'm starting today... so I need to start the year off right ... today is a good day to crochet Parade then nothing on TV but football (I don't like football)

I finally decided on a sweater pattern for DD. I've started several, and either she has a growth spurt before I'm done with it or I end up not liking how it's turning out. So either way, it ends up in the :frog pile. The one I found is from the bernat site, Flower Cardigan. Except I'm using HL I love this yarn and no flower design on it.

Hopefully the darn :frog will stay away from this one. I think I'll make her a skirt to go with it, one of Christina's patterns. So I start the year with a -1 no thanks to the darn :frog.

This is my first year at the game...I had a gift card plus Michaels was having a sale and I had a list of projects, so needless to say, I had a good buying day yesterday. There really isn't a need for me to purchase anymore yarn for a while but we know how that goes. I've got an afghan, scarf and doily in the works right now.

Oh, I didn't know they had a good sale on too... I also have a gift card to Michael's and was planning on going yesterday so I wouldn't accrue that yarn in the new year. However, it was snowing pretty good when I got out of work, so I decided to take the negative points instead. :(

Well, wouldn't you know it. I have a chance to go to Niagara Square tomorrow and they have a Michaels. :sigh

I need some Caron SS to participate in the Charity drive so I guess I should get ready to check the depths of the hole I'll be digging for myself over the year :eek

Well you have to do something to keep this game interesting.

I was just this morning :dreaming of getting all of my stash gone... what a wonderful idea it seemed. again :sigh

well we can but try... I just need to get the :hook going so I make up for this little thingy.

Well ladies, I'm already in the hole :eek

I didn't work yesterday so I stayed home all day and enjoyed the quiet of my day alone. After work today I went to Michael's and bought 5 skeins of yarn. I couldn't help it...when I walked out of work I could hear the yarn calling my name...honest, it was calling my name. See what happens when you work in the same strip mall as a yarn store??

I do have a scarf to make today, and she wants it real wide and long, so I should be able to use up 4 skeins on it.

Am I the first one to go in the hole?

Am I the first one to go in the hole?

think of it as blazing the trail where the rest of us will soon follow. :rofl

I too admit that yarn calls our names. They know we are so weak :sigh

I'm looking at this challenge as an excuse to organize my stash, maybe purge a bit of it, and then take pics and post my inventory to Ravelry...all the while make as many things to use up as much as possible because this is the year we (or me first) move back to the states...there's a method to my madness in all this.

I don't think I have any big plans that requires me to buy any new yarn or crochet cotten, but I can relate to all of you that walk into a Michael's or Joann's or where ever and the stuff just calls out to you like a siren call...it's very hard to say, 'No, no a 1,000 times no," before giving in to the siren's call...

think of it as blazing the trail where the rest of us will soon follow. :rofl

I too admit that yarn calls our names. They know we are so weak :sigh

Just call me the 'Trail Blazer' of this Cal :lol:lol

And when the yarn calls your name, you can't buy just one skein. It looks so lonely in the cart that it either: 1) tells you to buy more of it's friends...or 2) it tells it's friends to just jump right in the cart, that you won't mind taking them all home :rolleyes

I would like to be counted in also. I don't have a tremendous stash, but I had vowed a few months ago not to buy any new yarn...so this is perfect. This is my first time joining something like this, but I am SO looking forward to it! I'll update the signature by this evening. Thanks!

Chris

:rofl:rofl Unfortunately in my house there are :yarn"stash police":yarn. My DH and probably a lot more people out there think that is their job. :lol:lol

There are more! My SO is the stash police too. Actually not only is he that, but he is the craft FBI as well. I'm surprised he hasn't taken a job with the IRS and audited my stash to make sure I don't buy any new yarn. Which he probably should because I spent $150 between Joann's and Michaels on Dec 31. Poor guy. I had to find some good hiding spots in my closet. Its getting difficult though, there is no more room.

Archived