Am I the only one that hates Homespun yarn?

Jempast

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried it. Tried it again. Gave up and gave it away. Inconsistent texture, color, and thickness. Knots, lumps, and tied in the middle of a skein. Hard to work with. Not a pleasure, and not worth the trouble.

It's just vile. I know there are die-hard fans out there, but why, I just don't know. The stuff is bad enough to crochet with but completely impossible to knit with. Anything you make with it stretches like crazy afterwards. Also, not only is it inconsistent in color within dye-lots--it's also inconsistent in color within THE SAME SKEIN. I swear, one time I was crocheting with it and it CHANGED COLOR. Not just the usual slight color variations common to Homespun, but a completely different color. Also, like someone said, it gets thick and thin. To top it all off, it also gets a weird fuzzy texture to it after washed.

nope, don't like it. made some tube socks one year, gave some away as a gift before I washed mine...what a NIGHTMARE! they came out so bad (and I used the hand wash cycle and everything). That was AFTER struggling with the un-fun texture. It does have some nice colorways on occasion, but it has never been nice to me. :(

I haven't been able to crochet anything other than sc scarves out of homespun. However, I've had no problems with knitting it once I understood the pattern. I can knit it up with smaller or large needles. I discovered it can make pretty snuggly shawls.

I haven't washed anything I've made out of homespun yet, so of course that could change my outlook on it entirely! ;)

I am not a fan of homespun. I was making a one color throw and when it started to get to the end of the skein the colors where so different not even close to the begining colors. I emailed lionbrand and they acted stupid like they could not understand what I was talking about and wanted me to send them the yarn. Yeah right like I was going to do that. which is just what they wanted for me to go away so they didnt have to deal with the problem. It splits and I had about 3 feet of real skinny then all of a sudden it got real fat they didnt understand that either wanted that yarn also. So I have just stopped buying it.

It's not my favorite. The next time I start thinking I wanna use it again I hope somebody slaps me upside the head! :lol I have made some really nice afghans with it but for the price, it shouldn't be such a royal pain to work with.

LOL...Seems there's not much middle ground on Homespun. Ya either love it or hate it.

I happen to be in the love it camp. It is so soft and snuggly and pretty.

Guess I've been fortunate in that I've never ran into any of the problems others have such as inconsistency in color and thickness. I've made several scarves and a poncho and am going to be making a Serafina shawl for me once I finish up a few other WIPs.

I will admit that the first time I used it, I used a few bad words til I got the hang of crocheting with it, but now rarely have a problem.

Different strokes for different folks! :hook

I love it! It's one of my favorite yarns! It's like spinach - you either love it or hate it! :P I've made afghans, shawls, shawlers, sweaters, scarves, etc... never had a problem washing it either - it washes up nicely. I usually don't put it in the dryer though - or if I do, it's on very low heat and only for a little while. The only thing I don't like about it is, if you make fringe, it sheds like a cat unless you knot the end of each and every strand!

I have a love/hate relationship with Homespun. I love the feel of it and the look of a finished project. HOWEVER, it does take some getting used to and well - someone else mentione dirty words - I used some choice ones myself when working with this yarn for a hooded car coat - which ended up with my SIL. She saw it, fell in love with it, so I gave it to her. I still need to make another one for me and that was 2 years ago :eek

I have had problems with inconsistencies in the skeins but have always managed to work around them. The only other problem was when I combined this yarn with a LB chenille to make a winter blanket. When I washed it (on delicate) it fell apart. Poor blanket is now an emergency cover up riding in the trunk of DBFs car.

So yes I love it and hate it.

No, you are not the only one. I just will not buy the stuff BUT I just made a prayer shawl out of the similar baby blounce yarn of Hobby Lobby's Yarn Bee and it worked up well. The reason I bought the yarn was that it was a real bargin but to do a big afghan in the stuff - forget it!!! :yes

Archived