Jempast

Am I the only one that hates Homespun yarn?

I crocheted an afghan with it...shell stitch corner to corner. It has stretched out over the years....I also knitted a shawl for my DIL...that has stretched too.

I don't like working with any boucle yarn...but I do when I want that effect...my niece, on the other hand loves the boucle yarns - especially homespun. I always over buy when getting yarn and all my leftover boucle goes to her. She crochets very tightly and doesn't seem to have the stretching issues.

I tried knitting and crocheting with it, and gave up. Will never buy it again. it's too much of a struggle to use.

Hate it, hate it, hate it!

I have a love/hate relationship with Homespun. I love how it looks and feels when finished, but I hate working with it. Right now I have two items I'm making with homespun - a shrug and a Shawler. After these two WIPs are finished, it'll be a long time before I touch homespun again.

Hugs, :hug

I'd like to have a shawl out of it, but it's just a nightmare to work with. The thick/thin stuff drove me nuts and it split a little bit, but what got me more than anything was that it kept coiling up on itself. I would do a few stitches and then I'd have to stop and uncoil the yarn. Pain in the ......

FC1123 and I both have a question about substitutions for Homespun yarn. She posted the ? under yarn talk, but I thougt I'd bring it here too as the discussion was about Homespun. She has a cape she would like to crochet...I have seen a bunch of patterns I like but they call for Homepsun. Will regular 4 ply WW work as well?

Thanks for your help!

FC1123 and I both have a question about substitutions for Homespun yarn. She posted the ? under yarn talk, but I thougt I'd bring it here too as the discussion was about Homespun. She has a cape she would like to crochet...I have seen a bunch of patterns I like but they call for Homepsun. Will regular 4 ply WW work as well?

Thanks for your help!

Homespun is bulky weight - it's a fatter/fluffier yarn than worsted weight, so your gauge won't turn out out the same at all. If you want to make the pattern in WW, you'll probably have to add stitches/rows to your project to get it the proper size.

I personally love using Homespun - so long as I'm using a big hook! :hook With too small of a hook it's a nightmare.

I feel for you! I bought enough to do an afghan because I thought it would be so soft! I couldn't work with it. It has to be one of the most difficult yarns that I've ever worked with. Wound up trading it for something else:yarn

Huh - call me crazy but I don't mind the stuff and I love the shawls I make for the nursing home as they are quite warm. I have not had the experience about them stretching or being hard to crochet or knit with & I'm a very novice knitter. The die lot issues I can agree with!

Homespun is bulky weight - it's a fatter/fluffier yarn than worsted weight, so your gauge won't turn out out the same at all. If you want to make the pattern in WW, you'll probably have to add stitches/rows to your project to get it the proper size.

I personally love using Homespun - so long as I'm using a big hook! :hook With too small of a hook it's a nightmare.

I have used double WW yarn to make a pattern calling for Homespun and the gauge comes out about right with very little adjustment.

I run a home business selling personized crochet orders.

Right now one of my clients bough 11 skeins of Homespun and wanted hats, headbands and scarves. I found that the yarn yes does tend to snag and yes it can stretch and yes it does tear a bit but i found that it is a very warm yarn and it does crochet up really easy once you get into the rhythm that the yarnwork requires to be steady.

I found that if you want some stretching in your work like for hats or headbands or such its a great yarn and forgives easily but i think LionBrand could have done better in the sterdyness of the yarn.

I do think though.. that the color choices aren't fantastic... but they're very... "home- dyed" which is what i think they were going for.

As for color variances.

Out of 11 skeins I haven't seen any color variances.. and thats 22 projects I made from the stuff.

Not saying it doesn't exist. But I think it might be a fluke thing or a mistake in their dyelots which can happen when you mass manufacture things.

:yes :yes :yes :yes :yes :yes Can't see my stitches either.

:thair :thair :thair :thair :thair :thair

I bought some last night to make something and am having trouble seeing my stitches.

I absolutely love it and anyone who wishes to de-stash theirs, PM me for my address! :) :) :)

YUCK. BLECH. UGH.

I despise Homespun.

I love homespun and all eight of my scarves are made from homespun. I used a loose dc stitch. I will have to say that I have ran into a few issues everyone once in a blue moon - but I still love it...

i too really love homespun--i have made a jacket, ponchos, shawls, hats and scarves. also baby blankets, baby sweater, and large afghans. after you get the rhytm, it really is no problem for me to work it. you dont really SEE the stitch, as much as you just know where to put the hook. the problem i have noticed is i tend to turn my hook too soon out of the stitch and can snag a portion of the stitch i just made, kind of stranglenig my hook and restricting its movement. so every once in a while i have to slow down.

i guess it is personal preference. i really despise the light and lofty by red heart-- i know it is alot like homespun, i just cant get the hang of it!!

karen

I don't know if I'm going to like the LB Homespun or not; I was given about 8 skeins of it and also some RH light/Lofty, they look similar except for the colors. I guess maybe i will try a scarf in the lb, but I don't know about a large piece, if the stitches are hard to see, I may be in for some trouble with that:)

I despise that yarn. It gets caught and just is a pain to work with. I bought a ton once to make an afghan and the first little inch I tried to crochet I just gave up and returned it all. I'm a very patient person too so that says alot.

I just started working with Homespun for the first time and have had no trouble at all with it.

Currently I am making a scarf using an M hook and loose dc stitches. It is very pretty and is working up quickly.

Not a fan either for all the reasons already mentioned.

I just started working with Homespun for the first time and have had no trouble at all with it.

Currently I am making a scarf using an M hook and loose dc stitches. It is very pretty and is working up quickly.

i've never seen an m hook. interesting. the scarf should be fine. it's the larger projects that the homespun fails at. i've made many afghans with it (prior to knowing and seeing how the yarn wears and washes). it isn't a long-term yarn. too much money for a crappy yarn, imo.

I want to add that I tried a skein of Homespun to see if I could work with it because I so badly wanted to make the Shawler. Just tried making a simple scarf! Now what do I do with my Shawler pattern? I really don't want to make it using a double strand.

:thair:thair:thair:thair:thair:thair:thair:thair:thair:thair:thair:thair:thair:thair:thair (oh, why do the smilies do that?)

I'm not a big fan of Homespun because it is bulky weight and I don't care for using anything bigger than an I hook. When I was newer to knitting, I tried using it then, but had no luck. I'm sure it was a lack of knitting skill and not the yarn. I do like the muted colors, though.