Am I the only one that hates Homespun yarn?

Jempast

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought some to make a sweater with. Did it ... it stretched ... took it apart ... did it again ... it stretched again ... took it apart again. Then I had a brain storm! I crocheted with it and used a carrier yarn [RH I think]. I made a coat-poncho out of it that is warmer than my winter coat. But, all that said; NEVER AGAIN!

I made two blankets for my son with Homespun and they are warm and he loves them but last weekend my DIL brought one to me and asked if I could fix the hole in it. The yarn just stretched out and broke apart and I didn't have the same exact color but he didn't care so I patched it and it looked pretty good.

I have never in all the years of using different kinds of yarn have ever had that happen so I won't use it again for blankets or anything really because even if you make hats they stretch out too.

I just finished a shawl using Homespun, because that's what the pattern called for. It took some getting used to, but once I got the hang of it, it worked up very quickly with no problems at all. I used an N hook.

The fringe, however, was a real problem. As it turned out, the person it is going to opted for a shell border which I think turned out much better.

I posted it on my blog and now I have a few other friends that want one. After hearing all the problems with stretching, etc, I'm not sure I should try Homespun again.

What would be a good alternative? I don't like using double strand, and want it heaver than regular worsted.

I have made several afghans with this yarn and I just love how soft they are. You do need to use a larger hook and not an intricate pattern, that won't show up much anyway. Mine get a bit fuzzy, but I wash them in cold water on delicate and dry them in the dryer part of the way then lay them out for the rest of the drying. I have made over 50 scarves with Homespun and I just love how they turn out. Fringe is a problem, so I use a worsted weight yarn that matches for the fringe or do a loop fringe with the homespun. I never had any complaints about homespun until I read this post and found so many people not liking it. It is what it is....so if you can work with its particular qualitites, use a bigger hook and use loose patterns, it works very well. I just love the color changes as too. :manyheart

its a nice warm soft yarn but too expensive and not a good broad color range :P and yeah.. definately not a long term project yarn..

I know...isn't that just a kicker? To think you could get yarn in the same price range at a LYS that would be way better quality and color.

I do, however, like someone's suggestion of using a carrier yarn, to avoid stretching...

• 2 months later...

i made a scarf with it using an N hook and didn't have too much trouble- and I'm a newbie. I love the muted colors of Tudor. I did find that it sometimes tangled, but all in all it is a very soft warm scarf. I'm making a shawl with homespun now- so we'll see how that comes out

i think Im the only one on here that likes working with it :lol. I use a K hook and i make a simple v stitch prayer shawl or scarf and i have to say they come out quite lovely and they are quick and easy. I have washed my own shawl a couple times in the machine (delicate) and it came out fine. I do notice however that when you are purchasing it, that you have to compare the skeins even if they are the same dye lot as sometimes the colors are way off. my daughter wants me to make her an afghan in cobalt blue so I will let you all know how I like it then .:lol...Teresa P.S. I dont think I would use a larger hook than a K I think it would be too loopy.

I like it teamed up with a ww so that you can see your stitches. I do have a hot pink scarf that I used the hot pink homespun along with orange ww and it turned out really great. It gets fuzzier each time I wash it and I like that in a warm scarf.

But other than that, it's not my favorite choice of yarn to use.

:manyheart

i have an afghan or two or three or four ;)...out of homespun. the one crocheted with two strands of yarn together has held up really well. regular wash cycle and it still looks good after years of washing. the others have frazzled a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gee, I thought it was ME! I bought some for a project, ended up just making the poncho that was on the wrapper. HDC, so that at least went fairly well. I went back to the store and picked up some eyelash in the same hue, and made a mock turtleneck w/ eyelash trim, as well as making the poncho longer than instructed; added a trim w/ eyelash there as well. All and all the result was good, and it was soft and yummy feeling. I gave it to my then daughter-in-law, cause I'm not a poncho-person. After hearing about how badly it washes, I'm glad I sent it to her, 'cause she didn't wash very well either!

The next time I start thinking I wanna use it again I hope somebody slaps me upside the head! :lol

Too funny, I just had to laugh. :lol I always look at it in the store and then have to remind myself that I just don't like working with it!

You have to have a lot of patience with it. I end up loosing stitches in the fluffiness and have to "feel" my way through a pattern. I've only made one afghan with it. It did turn out pretty but it was a battle working with the "stuff". I have enough in my stash to make a whole other afghan, I've tried different patterns and just keep ripping it out and buying more yarn (different)! :P

I use Homespun to make prayer shawls. Bet they are either all dc or all hdc, so I've never tried anything too difficult with it. I do have issues from time to time, but I think the end result is worth the aggravation!

Archived