Am I the only one that hates Homespun yarn?

Jempast

Not worth the price. Poor quality-as said before, wacky color variations within same die lot, huge sections of skeins not even 'spun' (just fluff with no thread holding it together). I made a sweater-coat with it and it stretched well over a foot. I didn't find it THAT hard to work with, but there is much better yarn out there for that price.

But, I do like spinach :lol

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bought some to test a pattern and I had heard some of these horror stories before. My scarf came out SO beautiful! I absolutely love it! However, there was no inconsistencies in the yarn. I did struggle with it splitting and catching a LOT and that was a pain in the you know what. However, for the beautiful scarf I ended up with...I'd do it again!

I still have nightmares about this yarn.:yes I just do not care for it, I think I'd rather shear a sheep, and spin my own yarn before I use this yarn again, and trust me my option would be painful because I'm allergic to wool lol:yes

I only KNIT with the homespun yarn. I made my oldest dd a scarf, turned out really nice and I made myself a shawl. Keeps me nice and warm!! :hook

I made DH a nice scarf once with it when I first learned to crochet and boy it was a pain with the splitting and thick and thin area's but I did get used to it and did actually finish that scarf. I is so warm and snuggly. But I am not a fan of it and will not go out of my way to get it. :lol

I just tested a pattern using homespun and had no problems at all with it. And I used a J Hook.

I made a lapghan a while back and love it. It is so soft and warm.

I guess I have been lucky and not had the problems a lot of you have with it.

I will use it again.....when I find it on sale. I'd love to make a full size ghan with it....maybe a RR :lol (see siggy)

Homespun has been the most horrible yarn I've EVER worked with, so I gave it away. One of my sisters found more in her stash and gave it to me. HA! I gave that away too. I figure there are so many yarns that are nice nowadays, why be bothered with yarn I have to struggle with?

I only KNIT with the homespun yarn. I made my oldest dd a scarf, turned out really nice and I made myself a shawl. Keeps me nice and warm!! :hook

How on earth do you manage to knit with it? :think

When I tried to knit with Homespun, I found that the yarn bunched up and split like crazy. Also, it didn't slide on the needles at all, which drove me nuts. What type of needles did you use? Aluminum? Bamboo?

I used homespun to make an afghan for my MIL(ex) after I was finished it I discover a broken stitch in the middle. there was no way to repair it without frogging half the afghan and I was not going to do that. I sent the manu. a no so nice letter and of course I never heard back,not even a sorry for your trouble type of letter.I will mever purchase HOMESPUN again.

I'm using it right now to crochet the Rustic Squares Afghan out of "The Story of Homespun" book. Using a K-hook and the Regency Colorway. If I wasn't so invested in actually finishing it, I would have given up. But it's an easy to memorize pattern that works up quickly.

The larger hook really helps. I'm a tight crocheter, so I'm sure that helps with the look of the finished product as well. And it feels like manual labor to work with it. I'm fighting the yarn with near every stitch (mainly the tip of my hook getting caught in the thinner binding threads of the yarn).

One thing I've noticed is that you have to go extremely slow in order to prevent tearing or splitting the yarn. I've found a pace that works for the most part, but I really had to "get there" yanno?

I'm actually undecided on whether or not I like this yarn. Again, the end result is so soft and amazing to look at (especially with the "painterly colorways") that it the pain of the journey almost seems worth it.

I'm going to try some smaller projects (scarves, shawls) with different colorways to see if I'm truly over it by then, but so far, so good. I'm bigger than the yarn. LOL!!!

I have not yet used homespun, but am currently knitting a baby saque jacket in red heart baby clouds, and it looks lovely, but I don't like working with the fuzzy, uneven texture. I bought this on clearance and if homespun is like this I won't be buying it anytime soon.

I like it and so does my knitting daughter. I haven't tried it for clothes (except shawls and ponchos) but it makes nice warm afghans and I love the striped effect from many of the colors. (Even some that look dingy on the skein look nice after they are crocheted.) The quality can be uneven, though. I needed one more skein to make a shawl and, while my old skeins were perfect, the new one had some flaws.

Oh my goodness...I was thinking about posting a thread about this...I just bought 2 on Wednesday...started a project Wednesday evening...ready to :thair 5 minutes later!!!

:thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown

Must have been a man that came up with that yarn !!!:rofl

I made a Sweet Pea shawl with it for my Mom and had a difficult time. I used a J hook and found it difficult to find my stitches, but thankfully that wasn't an issue after the crocheting into the chain with this pattern. I would consider using it again (and was given some so I will!) and trying a bigger hook~I think that would really help me in seeing the stitches. That shawl did wash up just fine on the gentle cycle. (((((HUGS))))) sandi

I have made quite a few things with it. mostly shawls. I recently made a 5 1/2 hour afghan with it. That was interesting...thats was four strands of the stuff. It worked really well. Personally I have found that you can't use anything smaller than an N hook with it. just my 2 cents

Archived