Crocheting Heresies

All this talk about yarn shops leads me to one of the (many) things I'd like to do when I retire: open a yarn store that sells all types of yarn, from RH and Caron to Debbie Bliss, Rowan, Tahki and even that $36/skein stuff I saw at my LYS the other day. And in a wide variety of colors, not just two or three. It would cater to crocheters and knitters both. People could come in at any time of day/evening and work on their projects over a cup of tea, but there would be no pressure to buy. I'd stock all the magazines. And there would be absolutely no discussion about any sort of rivalry between C's and K's.

I don't think I've ever seen a yarn shop that sells everything from RH to Debbie Bliss...Anyone else?

Please let me know when you open up. I will be a regular customer!!!! :hook

For what it's worth, I think I should clarify my own comment about yarn snobs. People who prefer high-end yarn and can afford them are a-ok with me. It's those who use only the high end yarn who find it necessary to look down on or critisize other's projects that are made with cheaper yarn or insinuate that a project is not good enough or would be better in a more expensive yarn, are the ones I have no patience for. And there are alot of them out there. There has been an incedent or two on this board in the past where some one's project was deemed "not good enough" or "not done well" simply because they choose to use a cheaper yarn. And that's just not good craftsmanship. In short, it's not the fact that one prefers high end yarn that makes one a yarn snob, it's how they treat others who choose to use cheaper yarns.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carol,

The words and phrases that you used in your post read as judgmental and critical. For example:

I object to the term "yarn snob" in reference to those of us who would rather shop at the LYS. I am not rich; DH and I are barely middle class. But I realized a long time ago that if I could afford a huge stash of RH and Lion Brand, I could afford to go the LYS and buy better quality, natural fiber yarns I like, just less of them -- which means I can afford to buy yarn only when I have a project in mind. So that is what I do now. I had to develop some discipline to do this, and it has cut way down on my stash, to be sure, but it's worth it to me.

Your comment: "....if I could afford a huge stash of RH and Lion Brand, I could afford to go the LYS and buy better quality, natural fiber yarns I like, just less of them....". Why the assumption that the person who buys RH and LB has a "huge stash"? Why the assumption that the person with "a huge stash" bought (implied by "could afford") the yarn? They may have received some of the yarn as gifts, trades, giveaways, inherited windfalls, etc.! And even if that person did buy all of the yarn in the stash, that's that person's decision - and OK.

That sentence: ".... I can afford to buy yarn only when I have a project in mind. So that is what I do now. I had to develop some discipline to do this, and it has cut way down on my stash, to be sure, but it's worth it to me." Are you implying that those who buy yarn without a project in mind, have not developed any discipline?

I still use Paton's Grace, Caron SS and Vanna on a lot of projects, and I'm going to try the HL ILTY. But if I'm going to put a lot of work into something -- like a special dress for my niece's new baby -- I'm going to use the better LYS yarn. And it depends on what the project is, too: I used Misti Alpaca for a sweater for my newborn grandson, but the hoodie I made him for everyday was acrylic. I made a decorative shawl out of Colinette, but my everyday winter shawl is acrylic.

"But if I'm going to put a lot of work into something -- like a special dress for my niece's new baby -- I'm going to use the better LYS yarn."

But, what do you recommend the crocheter do if she (or he) is "going to put a lot of work into something" but doesn't have the money or desire to buy "the better yarn"? Don't make the item at all?! Because it can't possibly be worth the "lot of work" if it's made of some not-better yarn?

I realize some people really like RH and Lion Brand, so, fine, use what you like; that's my point. But when I hear people imperiously say, "I'd love to go to the highfalutin', ritzy, expensive LYS, but I'm on a budget, etc." and I know they have 16 plastic barrels of RH in their garage, that's a form of yarn snobbery, too, just in the reverse.

How do you "know they have 16 plastic barrels of RH in their garage"? Or is that your assumption based on some of the postings here. And even if someone has written in a postthat they have 16 barrels of yarn in their garage - do you know that its RH? And, even if it's RH and that's what the crocheter wants, that's OK. Even if she (or he) wrote that "I'd love to go to the highfalutin', ritzy, expensive LYS, but I'm on a budget, etc." - that's still OK. Because it's the poster's description of the poster's situation.

This is the longest post I've ever written. But, I felt compelled to reply. We are all here at the 'Ville to celebrate the love of the art we want to create with a hook (of whatever material) and a length of string (of whatever fiber). This is a place where we can meet in that common cause -- and I'd hate to feel that anyone was not welcome here because the yarn she (or he) uses did not cost enough. Or cost too much.

(PS: In the interests of full disclosure, I do buy yarn without a project in mind. And I have RH, Caron SS HL ILTY, and LB, as well as yarn that's considered "better" yarn.)

All this talk about yarn shops leads me to one of the (many) things I'd like to do when I retire: open a yarn store that sells all types of yarn, from RH and Caron to Debbie Bliss, Rowan, Tahki and even that $36/skein stuff I saw at my LYS the other day. And in a wide variety of colors, not just two or three. It would cater to crocheters and knitters both. People could come in at any time of day/evening and work on their projects over a cup of tea, but there would be no pressure to buy. I'd stock all the magazines. And there would be absolutely no discussion about any sort of rivalry between C's and K's.

I don't think I've ever seen a yarn shop that sells everything from RH to Debbie Bliss...Anyone else?

:eek This is my plan exactly! I have the place all picked out in NC. My friend wants me to add fabrics too since the only thing they have in the area is Wal-mart and they are getting rid of so much of the craft stuff!

I love going into yarn shops, I really like to annoy the snotty proprietors that think you can't crochet with certain types of yarn and are dumb enough to say so! Most though in my experience are very nice.

Carol,

The words and phrases that you used in your post read as judgmental and critical. For example:

Your comment: "....if I could afford a huge stash of RH and Lion Brand, I could afford to go the LYS and buy better quality, natural fiber yarns I like, just less of them....". Why the assumption that the person who buys RH and LB has a "huge stash"? Why the assumption that the person with "a huge stash" bought (implied by "could afford") the yarn? They may have received some of the yarn as gifts, trades, giveaways, inherited windfalls, etc.! And even if that person did buy all of the yarn in the stash, that's that person's decision - and OK.

That sentence: ".... I can afford to buy yarn only when I have a project in mind. So that is what I do now. I had to develop some discipline to do this, and it has cut way down on my stash, to be sure, but it's worth it to me." Are you implying that those who buy yarn without a project in mind, have not developed any discipline?

"But if I'm going to put a lot of work into something -- like a special dress for my niece's new baby -- I'm going to use the better LYS yarn."

But, what do you recommend the crocheter do if she (or he) is "going to put a lot of work into something" but doesn't have the money or desire to buy "the better yarn"? Don't make the item at all?! Because it can't possibly be worth the "lot of work" if it's made of some not-better yarn?

How do you "know they have 16 plastic barrels of RH in their garage"? Or is that your assumption based on some of the postings here. And even if someone has written in a postthat they have 16 barrels of yarn in their garage - do you know that its RH? And, even if it's RH and that's what the crocheter wants, that's OK. Even if she (or he) wrote that "I'd love to go to the highfalutin', ritzy, expensive LYS, but I'm on a budget, etc." - that's still OK. Because it's the poster's description of the poster's situation.

This is the longest post I've ever written. But, I felt compelled to reply. We are all here at the 'Ville to celebrate the love of the art we want to create with a hook (of whatever material) and a length of string (of whatever fiber). This is a place where we can meet in that common cause -- and I'd hate to feel that anyone was not welcome here because the yarn she (or he) uses did not cost enough. Or cost too much.

(PS: In the interests of full disclosure, I do buy yarn without a project in mind. And I have RH, Caron SS HL ILTY, and LB, as well as yarn that's considered "better" yarn.)

I don't think that Carol's comments were at all intended to be judgmental or critical. I think she is simply saying that "yarn snobs" can come in all varieties.

I don't think that Carol's comments were at all intended to be judgmental or critical. I think she is simply saying that "yarn snobs" can come in all varieties.

I totally agree, she was speaking from her personal experience with her own yarn buying. It was not meant as a criticism to others personal experiences with their craft. I feel the same way as Carol. :yes I own all kinds of yarn but my goal is to buy the best yarn I can afford and have stopped buying the less expensive yarns unless I really like it. Most days you can find me hunting for fabulous yarn bargains on Ebay! :clap

Kim

Carol,

The words and phrases that you used in your post read as judgmental and critical.

I agree. So far, this thread has been hilarious and entertaining. I don't think this is the place to argue the merits of each others' yarn choices. I think we can all agree that crochet is enjoyable regardless of the fiber used, and leave it at that.

Just my two cents.

Amanda

P.S. I'm not saying Carol volleyed first shot, either. I just felt compelled to reply at this point.

I have read through this thread, and I really don't feel anybody has meant to talk down to others about their own personal choices. Everybody seems to be talking about their own personal preferences, which is fine.

I would like to caution everyone to remember to speak about your own preferences, and try not to generalize about other people. It seems that comments about what others should do or could do or ought to do are the ones that sometimes end up causing hurt feelings. And I'm sure it's not the intent of anyone posting in this thread to hurt the feelings of anyone else reading the thread.

So please focus on your own preferences and try not to generalize about others. If this thread degenerates into a bunch of negativity and picking at each other, I will have to close the thread.

I think it's cool how so many of us want to open our 'dream' shop someday.

I know I want to. Doubt it'll happen but it's fun planning it. :yes

I was thinking the same thing!:yes How cool would it be if Crochetville opened a 'virtual' yarn store and everyone contributed in some way? (I know I'm in fantasy land with this thought so it may have sounded better in my head...;) )

Kim

I'll join this franchise:yes . This is why I'm enjoying reading Debbi Macomber yarn books even though there's very little crochet. I love reading about the yarn shop.

I was even trying to think of a place I could put the shop where I live... :hook

Debbi

I'm in!! :hook

By the way...Well said Amy. I like to think we're all very passionate people when it comes to what we believe and what we think, most especially about out craft. And that's a good thing!!

For the record, I was speaking my own truth. Those were my thought processes as I figured out how I could use more expensive yarn. I have plenty more to say, but I will refrain. I don't want Amy to close down this thread; it's just too entertaining.

• 4 months later...

I know this thread has been dormat for awhile, but I just had to add my list.

I love RH

I rarely use recommended hooks in patterns

I NEVER gauge

I NEVER block

I weave ends in as I go

I think dye lots are bogus

I hate plastic hooks

I love Boye hooks

I love ponchos and shawls

I too, am afflicted with crochet ADD :hook

I've read several pages of this thread and see that few people like Red Heart Super Saver, and the ones that do, like it 'cause of the color choices. For those that don't like it, have you tried to "kill" the yarn? Some yarns just have a mind of their own, but if you "kill" it, you get a much softer, more supple product. I learned about this at a knitting machine conference last year in Portland, Oregon.

To "kill" your yarn, you first crochet your item (so this doesn't improve the experience of crocheting, just the finished product). Then, lay your item out on your ironing board or other surface that you have protected with a couple or three layers of thick towels (don't do this on your good dining room table). Then, you use either a steam iron (don't touch your iron to the fabric AT ALL, just use the "burst of steam" option), or, even better, a "steam machine" and "steam" your item, gently moving it into shape (key = gentle). Let your item lay in place until it's dry, which can take some time.

This works wonders! The yarn becomes soft, forms into the pattern more evenly, and you get a better "drape" in the fabric. You can use this on any type of yarn, BTW. (again, don't touch your iron to your fabric or you'll damage your item and may have to replace your iron)

Hope my writing is clear enough for you to follow. Let me know if you have questions.

~~Novena

Don't block.

Don't use a gauge.

Do a lot of stuff instinctively and am usually happy to discover it's 'right'.

Love granny squares because they are so quick and versatile and use up tons of scraps.

Don't like fancy wools, just cotton or cotton blend.

Don't like the SNB book - much ado about nothing - and I don't like the patterns. If I weren't a crocheter, they would have put me off the craft :P

1. I love RHSS and use it almost exclusively

2. I rarely use the designated yarn for a project (see 1.)

3. I Hate Ripples! (Have only successfully completed 1)

4. Granny squares generally bore me

5. I love intricate patterns (cables and such) but they have to follow a sequence so I can free myself from the pattern

6. I rarely purchase all the yarn I need before starting a project.

7. I love no dye lot yarn (see 6.)

I grew up in the 70s and thank the godesses I never saw one of those... those are as bad as clowns!!! What was somebody thinking? And why would someone want one? eeewwwwwwwww!!! :eek

Amen! Creep me out! Reminds me of cabbage patch dolls. I never could figure out what those dolls things were for! Loooove this thread!!

I really don't get the elitist attitude of knitters and LYS's. A LYS sells yarn. Crocheters use as much yarn as knitters. Why alienate that large a portion of your client base just because you don't like their craft?

Actually I once read that crocheting uses MORE yarn than knitting so a LYS that snubs crocheters is really stupid! :P

I can't believe that I haven't written in this thread yet.

*I enjoy making granny squares and joining them but I really, really, loathe weaving in all the little ends.

*I don't see the big deal over ami. Some are cute and some look like decapitations or worse.

Ok, so there's my 2 cents worth.

I love this thread....:clap

I never make swatches

I almost never block

I don't follow patterns to the letter

I don't always wash my hands

I know crochet more than other tecniques, but I don't see the big deal about favouring one before another.

I've been trying to stay away from this thread for some time, because I don't want to get started on my prejudices and vices. Sigh..:blush I just can't resist anymore. I hope I don't offend anyone with what I say. It's all just my personal opinions.

1. I LOVE doilies, and don't understand anyone who doesn't.

2. I stopped doing knots, but I learned a better way for myself. Instead of one slip knot to tie off, I tie off three times. I have to really make sure that I don't need to frog before I do, because it will not come undone.

3. I work my ends in as I go.

4. (This sounds sooo snobbish, and I don't mean for it to be.) There are not many books out there that get me so excited anymore that make me want to buy them. I like to be challenged, and the only ones that really get my juices flowing are the republished ones from the 1800's and early 1900's. I LOVE the lacework that they did.

5. Rarely do I follow a pattern all the way through. Usually, I go off on my own.

6. If I look at a picture of someone's work that I really like, I refuse to look at their instructions, just in case I want to ever make something similar.

7. I don't talk to many of my friends about my crochet work, I mean really talk, like how we do. I get sooo excited over it, and I know it sometimes comes across as prideful. The fact is, I think in crochet designing so much, that it's practically my whole world.

8. If I make a mistake, but can cover it up, I will. I'll take shortcuts if I can without harming the design. I will frog if it's noticable, but not if I don't have to.

9. I adore other people's more difficult aphgans, but I'm not sure if I can ever get myself to make me one. I don't much care for the simpler aphgans.

10. I hate fridgies, toilet paper covers, towel toppers, and such like.

11.Here's the biggest heresy. I LOVE LOVE LOVE PICOTS!!! There I said it. It's all over for me now. LOL.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes as to what they like to make or what kind of yarn they enjoy working with... I can't see spending $8- $10 or more on a ball of yarn, when I can't afford to eat steak, and barely have enough to pay my bills each month. But that's just me. I was raised to be frugal, and I'm too old to change!

Also.. and I hope I don't hurt any feelings here... but if I am going to spend money on yarn, patterns, etc. I want to crochet some things for myself. Nothing wrong in giving to charity, or enjoying the look on someone's face when they are given a beautiful afghan or even a pair of socks... but I read so many here who claim they don't keep any of the items they make... and that is just unbelievable to me!! For gosh' sakes, make something for yourself once in a while!! Why spend hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars a year on yarn, patterns, not to mention the TIME you spend making it just to give away? Well.. if you do it for profit... selling it in bazaars or something, that makes sense... but to just give it all away?? I can't see that.

My husband does a lot of woodworking, and while he sells some of it, he also gives some things to family. But now and then he makes something for our house or for me personally. A hobby, to me, is only enjoyable if you can benefit from it as well as someone else. I enjoy crochet, it relaxes me... and I really enjoy looking at the finished product... but I don't always care to part with something I've spent months completing. Call me selfish.... I want to treasure my works of art once in while myself!!

I can understand your point of view, but I'd be a bit different. I've crocheted a couple of afghans for myself but frankly but the time they are finished I'm sick of them. :lol I crochet baby blankets to sell in aid of our local children's clinic because a lot of the pleasure I get is the working with colour, the design and the planning. So I don't mind giving them away - by the time I get to the dreaded sewing together stage, my mind is already on the next one.

As far as wool is concerned, it really is a personal choice. Some people prefer to buy a lot of cheap'n'cheerful clothes at a chainstore, others prefer to save up and invest in one 'good' item. That's up to you and vive la difference, as far as I'm concerned. The same goes for wool-buying. If we all had the same yarn-buying habits, most of our favourite stores would be long out of business.

I never swatch

I hate plastic hooks

I love to make granny squares but hate to join them

I almost always tie knots

I don't understand the point of doilies (although some are pretty)

I hate scrap projects with random colors (I think I'm to OCD for that)

I weave all my ends in when I'm finished

Archived