Crocheting Heresies

Over on the Knitting Forum, they have a topic called "Knitting Heresies" -- all the taboo things that people do that "just aren't done."

I thought it would be fun to start a similar topic here, only for crocheting...

My Crocheting Heresies:

I'm NOT a fan of the Stitch & B Happy Hooker book. I think most of the patterns in it are lame and I hate her writing style.

I do tie knots, unless it's going to look painfully obvious in the work.

Don't understand what the big fuss is about the Crochet Me site.

I do knit as well as crochet. I enjoy doing both, and do not think one is better than the other. Granted, I do enjoy crocheting more...

Not a big fan of doing Grannie Squares. I think it's because EVERYONE seems to do them, and I like being different.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll second the granny square thing.

I haven't even looked at the SNB book... actually, I don't understand the gaga over most books...

I HATE Red Heart Super Saver... yes, I'm an almost yarn-snob.

I have absolutly no desire to learn Tunisian or anything like it.... (it seems to be the 'hot' thing right now...)

As I just finished making the Prepster Jacket from HHSNB (but in totally my own style...really revamped that pattern for my own purposes) I can't say that I don't like the book...but most of the patterns are not my style (although I'm dying to make the bunny slippers...

I just joined the Crochet Me site, but I have my reasons for doing so...

Be that as it may, I'm totally with ya on everything else...I do tie knots, I work my ends in as I go along...

I don't always use the recommended hook

I don't always block

I don't make up a swatch to check gauge...in wearables I measure as I go along and usually don't have a problem (with exception of the prepster jacket and I'll take full responsibility for that...)

I'm so not going to get into felting...so help me, I'm not gonna do it...

I knit too and I don't think one is better than the other, however, my personal preference is crocheting, only because it's faster and I'm good at it.

I hate the phrases, "...not your grandmother's, mother's (fill in the blank) crochet..."

I love vintage patterns crochet, knit or sewing of almost any kind, mainly from the 40's...but since I lived through the 70's, I'm not entirely fond of what passes for 70's vintage wear...especially from crochet.

I see nothing wrong with kitchy crocheting...whether it be from Annie's Attic, or from a new book called Kooky Crochet that I just saw in the bookstore tonight...

I see nothing wrong with doilies...

I see nothing wrong with Red Heart, Lion Brand, or acrylics and blends in general, nor do I see anything wrong with the LYS that carry the higher end stuff...they all have their purposes...

I HATE Red Heart :irk

It never softens for me no matter how I wash or dry the rotten stuff! Maybe it's our water because other people love it but I refuse to buy any more.

No dye lots are a lie. Even yarn with the same code stamped on the label varies!

My DD loves making granny squares and I like joining motifs!

I love working with thread and tiny hooks.

I don't care how the patterns are written, symbol or long hand. I just want them all !

Michelle in Southern AZ

I don't like round ripples. I don't understand a round blanket.

I hate that almost all baby clothes are in baby pastel colors. How about a red sweater? Why does it have to be baby blue?

I love to buy old doilies at my thrift store, but I have zero interest in learning how to make them.

I always tie knots and then weave in the ends...but not as I go!!!! I do it at the end! (Oh the horror!)

I don't crochet in the car during trips. Makes me dizzy.

My Crochet Heresies--more than I thought I had :lol

I love Acrylic, or cotton. I don't even want soy, silk or fancy alpaca or other yarns that are "to die for".

I don't like felting much, probably because I'm not fond of wool.

I don't "get" free form Crochet at all.

I am guilty of not swatching sometimes.

I am sometimes guilty of not sticking to patterns either.

Often I don't frog if a mistake is 15-20 + rows behind me. :blush

90% of the time it's not going to ruin the project. If it will really cause a problem I will frog it though.

I like my items to look nice but I don't have a need for perfection.

I tend to like granny squares, myself. They're very functional and you can do loads of stuff with them, other than just sewing them together...

I don't like Red Heart Super Saver, either. I tend to avoid it when I can, but several instances leave me having to go for it, because they offer a color no other yarn does sometimes. Caron's Perfect Match is a very good alternative. And, lately, it doesn't seem to cost any more than Red Heart SS does. The Michael's in our area was selling Perfect Match and Super Saver at the SAME PRICE! But, even if it's a few cents more, I'm taking the Perfect Match. It pays for itself in how it feels while you work with it, and beyond.

I never block.

I tie knots.

I never check my gauge.

No felting for me!

I agree with someone else's sentiment that there's no such thing as "no dye lot".

I don't like baby yarn. I don't think there should be as MUCH emphasis on babies with crochet projects. I saw an entire BOOK of bootie patterns for babies. Why would you need that many??

I like to use bright colors in nearly everything, when it seems like most others would use something neutral.

I think crocheted underwear is going a little too far...

As I just finished making the Prepster Jacket from HHSNB (but in totally my own style...really revamped that pattern for my own purposes) I can't say that I don't like the book...but most of the patterns are not my style (although I'm dying to make the bunny slippers...

I just joined the Crochet Me site, but I have my reasons for doing so...

Be that as it may, I'm totally with ya on everything else...I do tie knots, I work my ends in as I go along...

I don't always use the recommended hook

I don't always block

I don't make up a swatch to check gauge...in wearables I measure as I go along and usually don't have a problem (with exception of the prepster jacket and I'll take full responsibility for that...)

I'm so not going to get into felting...so help me, I'm not gonna do it...

I knit too and I don't think one is better than the other, however, my personal preference is crocheting, only because it's faster and I'm good at it.

I hate the phrases, "...not your grandmother's, mother's (fill in the blank) crochet..."

I love vintage patterns crochet, knit or sewing of almost any kind, mainly from the 40's...but since I lived through the 70's, I'm not entirely fond of what passes for 70's vintage wear...especially from crochet.

I see nothing wrong with kitchy crocheting...whether it be from Annie's Attic, or from a new book called Kooky Crochet that I just saw in the bookstore tonight...

I see nothing wrong with doilies...

I see nothing wrong with Red Heart, Lion Brand, or acrylics and blends in general, nor do I see anything wrong with the LYS that carry the higher end stuff...they all have their purposes...

yeah! ...what she said :yes :yes :yes

saw this thread and just had to reply:

I see a few posts that sound a bit like me,lol

I don't block..haven't tried it don't know if I will

I don' do granny square.....maybe one day but since I don't care much for them I think it unlikely.

I don't like working with baby yarn, it's too thin for me

I don't like thread, just to small for me to work with (I like it and would buy it, I just can't seem to do it)

I do knit and don't think one is better than the other.

I don't understand filet, don't think I will ever try it.

I don't like the texture of homespun or anything similar (rh baby clouds for example)

I don't like plastic crochet hooks, the yarn just doesn't flow smooth enough for me.

I don't like very small or very large hooks or knitting needle. The small ones are to tedius for me and the relly big one have to many holes.

I like doilies, but cant stand using those skinny little hooks...so I make doilies out of worsted weight yarn and large hooks (a K hook usually)

I use knots.

I weave my yarn ends in at the end of the project usually.

After years of never wanting to attempt sewing granny squares together, I finally did it a couple of weeks ago, and ended up with a neat dog blanket (dog blanket is now a DOLL blanket because my aunt's granddaughter saw it and thought it was for her)

After years of saying that I dont like knitting and would never do it, last year I learned how to knit, and now I've got the same number of knitting WIPS as I do crochet WIPS (more than 5 of each)

I love Red Heart Super Saver.

I hate most yarns made by Lion Brand.

I especially hate fun fur.

When I offer crochet help, it's a bit annoying if the person I'm helping never responds back to say if I actually helped her, or that I confused her. Which makes me not want to help people (which is a bad thing, since I'm the moderator over at About.com's crochet forum...so I still help)

I dont block.

I rarely check gauge.

I hate Boye crochet hooks, but I love the Susan Bates hooks.

I have more scrap yarn than new skeins of yarn.

I give finished projects away to people impulsively. I gave my dad's little sister a scrap yarn shawl that I really liked...now I have to make myself another scrap yarn shawl because I miss the one I gave my aunt.

I hate wool.

I have to touch the yarn before I buy it (I can't buy blindly online unless I've used it before)

I never check gauge, or swatch

I only recently learned what 'blocking' means and have yet to try it.

I will only buy a crochet book if I like 3 or more patterns in it.

I hate Boye hooks with a passion and will only buy Susan Bates.

I don't understand the fuss about Vanna's Choice yarn, I've seen it and don't see the big deal about it.

I like Vanna's older books, I am not too fond of the newer patterns that she's come out with.

I've never worked with a wood crochet hook. I'm afraid it'll break too easily, and I have a toddler that likes to break things as well.

I won't frog if it's quite a few rows down from where I am, or if it's an annoying pattern that I just want to finish and it's just an extra loop.

I have to chime back in...I have both Bates and Boye hooks and I'm not fond of the Bates hooks, but love my Boye hooks (aren't humans the darnedest creatures?) and I do have a wooden hook (a Jimbo) and oh my goodness...it really is so nice...

I HATE FUN FUR! where do they get off calling it fun?

Don't like thread

No swatches here, gauge? what gauge?

Hate thick fluffy yarns.

No plastic hooks

Cringe at the thought of felting

Alpaca? Al paca you mister!

Why are all baby sweater patterns so girly?

Give me some time and I'm sure to have more!! :)

I rarely block

I dont check gauge

I love to felt

I love cheap yarn caron ss is my fav so far

I love making squares, but not joining

I didn't know what SNB was for a long time

I didn't used to weave my ends in, just cut them short oops

for years i would crochet everything in the back loops because it gave it a different look

I only recently figured out what frog meant.

Vintage patterns are waaaaaay cool!!!!!!

I don't like "acrylic hooks"

Red Heart is a mainstay with me but I will work with ANY kind of yarn. I find novelty yarns a real challenge and enjoy the whole fun fur deal.

I enjoy making granny squares that are novel and have unusual patterns.

I HATE JOINING granny squares into projects (probably why my granny square stash is beginning to overflow the storage tub)

I think grannie's daughters are cute and fun. Have BIG stash of them....have no clue what to do with them.

Felting is too much fussing. When I finish crocheting a piece, I don't want to mess with it again. (see the HATE JOINING fetish above)

Crocheting in the round is a pain in the .........!!! It forever comes out "wrinkly".

And I can't for the life of me figure out why ANYONE would want to crochet a pair of "spats"??????????

Wow, you can put several of these together and that is me, LOL

I hate wool

Will not felt

Don't like Caron super soft

Don't like big hooks

Don't like rug yarn

Love thread

Love little hooks

Love old patterns

Love doilies/tabletoppers

Love granny squares alway crochet them together

Love this site

OK, more loves than nots......LOL

I love RH SS and even make clothing out of it!

I don't like the SNB book, I don't like the title at all and the projects are so so. Althought the Fat Boom Bag looks nice (don't like the name, luckily I don't have a fat bottom, just fat belly:blush )

I tie knots on just about everything.

I don't weave in ends until I'm done unless they're in the way (hardly ever).

I change patterns a lot.

I don't check gauage and I don't do swatches (well I have but onlly 1% of the time although putting them together could make a cute afghan)

Haven't tried felting, like someone else said, I don't want to fuss with it when I'm done. (Plus I need a new washer)

I don't really block, doilies I wash and lay flat to dry (iron in a box in a hall closet gathering dust).

I love trying new yarns, but stick to RH for other items.

I love quick items, even quick afghans, but also more detailed ones.

I love doilies but after years of doing those, I'm doing more with yarn.

I love crochet shawls (wearing one today as a matter of fact). Nothing "granny" about them.

Debbi

I HATE JOINING granny squares into projects (probably why my granny square stash is beginning to overflow the storage tub)

They are great for pet snugglies. add a few rows of edging and donate them to a local animal shelter or Vet's office.

I love to try new squares so this feeds my addiction and helps others. :wlol

I love granny squares - I learned crochet specifically for granny squares, when everyone else seemed to not like them so much.

I love kitschy old vintage patterns (and kitschy old vintage colours, too).

I cannot stand "baby colours" (i.e. soft pink, soft blue, etc).

I dont mind weaving in ends.

I'm sure theres other things I do that many would be in shock about... I tend to make up my own stitches and ways of doing things - mostly because I'm stubborn.

I figure I'll throw in my bit of it.

I almost never swatch. I don't make wearables generally so I figure why bother.

I use a hook that is "around" the size that's called for.

I HATE the felting thing. I don't like the feel of it even though I think some projects look really cute but that whole texture thing. *shudder*

I almost never buy the nice fancy yarn and live by Caron One Pounders.

I dislike RHSS most of the time because my yarn is always different thicknesses even if they are the same dye lot at times.

I refuse to mix acrylic yarns. TLC goes with TLC, RHSS goes with RHSS, Caron goes with Caron. end of story.

I am actually afraid to use my boucle giant granny square simply because I don't want to ruin it!

I'll second (or third or whatever...) that thought on swatching...

I almost never stick to a pattern

I would never decorate with a doily, let alone make one (but that's not to say I don't think some are beautiful... just not me)

I agree about the whole baby colors things.. see my post about Daniel's blanket...

Why can't we get a wider variety of colors/weights of yarns that AREN'T Novelty/funfur/etc at the 'big box' stores? Anyone seen any 'fingering' weight yarn at their local box store? I haven't!

Why are 'big box' stores concidered verboten by knitting purists?

Let's see, my heresies:

I don't understand the appeal of *most* freeform crochet - to me it looks like dust bunnies stuck on a hair ball combined with what my cat horked up on the floor this morning. I've seen a FEW pieces done by people with experience in other arts that are more organized, and I could see the appeal in them, but even those were not to my taste. But most of what I've seen is the horked up hairball look, to me anyway.

I, too, will never felt crochet. Why in the world am I going to hide my beautiful stitch work by felting it???? That's what knitting is for, lol! (I am trying to learn to knit, and while it has many admirable traits, the beauty of a single knit stitch is not one of them <grin>).

I like tissue box covers. There. I said it out loud. You may commence pelting me with hooks and yarn now. I will keep whatever I can catch, though.

I love tacky 1970's granny square clothes. I grew up as a small child in the latter half of the '70s so when I see those clothes, to me, they are "teenager" clothes, and my inner 5 year old wants to wear them. As a result, I now own a sizable collection of Woman's Day crochet books and magazines of the era.

I hate Caron Simply Soft I know it's very popular as a substitute for RHSS, but the few things I've made of it are ridiculously heavy as garments. Also, it's splitty, and I hate splitty yarn.

I like Homespun yarn I'm making a Lace and Bobbles afghan using mostly Homespun (not for the Bobbles, though), and I love it. I wash stuff made with it on gentle, dry it on super-low (I have a front loader, so maybe that makes a difference) and it holds up fine.

Hmmm, oh, and I never hold my hook the same way twice, lol!

Hmmm...

No matter how many times it has bitten me in the you-know-what, I still don't normally make a gauge swatch. And it has bitten me...

I stitch really tightly, so when everyone else needs an H, I need a J (or K if I'm stressed)

I crochet over my ends as I go unless it's impossible.

I love thread and making doilies, but I have nothing to do with them afterward (I give them as gifts - let them figure out what to do with a doily).

If someone gave me some wonderful, expensive, designer alterna-fiber it would sit in my closet for years while I look for the "perfect" pattern for it, because I'd be afraid of wasting it on a silly scarf or hat or afghan.

The much-maligned acrylic yarns work great for me for most projects, but I like Wool-ease or Cotton-ease for clothes (or thread).

I like old stuff. I was born in 1979, but I seek out pattern books that are older than me.

If my husband would let me, I'd cozy everything in the house, just because I could. (And I might, anyway.)

I use fun fur and boucles and other "textured" yarn, but I hate them all. They are a pain to work with (I can't see my stitches!!).

***I had to come back and add: I have never worn a poncho, shawl, capelet, bolero, shrug, or any other shoulder covering device. And I don't intend to make one of them either.(I have to admit that there are some very pretty shawl patterns, but I would look funny in my soccer shorts, tennis shoes, t-shirt... and shawl)

Archived