Crocheting Heresies

I live in Central California where the humidity is pretty low. RHSS is just really itchy here, even after a Downy wash. :shrug

I live in Atlanta, it's pretty humid here. I'm wonderng if it's a change in how it's made.

I used to use Red Heart for years because nothing else was available to me and there wasn't an internet nor did I catalog shop. It was pretty soft and as mentioned softened even more in the wash.

I still use it occasionally for things and still had no problem.

Until a couple of weeks ago. I bought one skein of dark green. It didn't hurt my hands but it sure had a rough texture. It actually worked for what I made but no way would I make a scarf or hat with that.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so totally off topic but reminded me of something that happened when DH and I were dating. We were in the college cafeteria and it was the middle of the winter and this girl was wearing flip-flops. So I remarked to DH then boyfriend, "look at that girl wearing thongs!" And he said, "How can you tell?" :eek:blush He about got smacked for that one!

Oh, dear, I was really hoping you meant footwear...:eek

When I was growing up in the late 50's, early 60's they were called thongs. :yes My mom always used to say go get your thongs on, we are going to the lake. :hook

They were still thongs (aka flip flops) in the early 80's...I had a pair as a kid, and we still called them thongs.

BTT, my heresies...

I only do gauge if I want to

I tie when I want

I don't like S&B, RH/LionBrand,Homespun, funfur

I like traditional, elegant, not grannies or "hip" projects (I'm girly girl)

I love some of the longer skirt patterns (like drew's latest, and my own...still in testing)

I "blame" this forum for everything, like my growing stash! :) (C'mon y'all admit it) :rofl.

My daughter is 9 and has been crocheting since she was 7. She looked in the book once for help with a stitch and came back to me asking about a phrase it the book that was totally inappropriate. I got it for a gift and really hadn't read it until that moment. I thought good grief it is a crochet book, how bad could it be, well . . . . . it was immediately deposited in the circular filing system . . . yup garbage!
Perhaps I'm more naive than I thought becasue I love the book and didn't feel anything was inappropriate about it besides the typos. I mean there's not crocheted lingerie in there or anything. lol. Even if there was I wouldn't complain.

I must be more out of the loop than I thought. Is it sad that I'm married and don't get most "dirty" jokes and phrases?

Please don't laugh at me!

I have used the boy beanie pattern quite a bit from the book. My brother wears his all the time. Which is great becasue I can't tell you how many things I've made for him and he hasn't liked. I was so happy to find something that worked. I also only paid five bucks for both my SNB books becasue I bought them used through e-bay and amazon. :) (I love used books sometimes you even get notes and things in them great stuff. )

I am working on the unseamly sweater and I found the stitch pictures were extremely helpful with me being dyslexic and very much a visual learner. :) I have gained so much more confidence in my skills since getting the book. :)

But to each his own!

I live in Central California where the humidity is pretty low. RHSS is just really itchy here, even after a Downy wash.

That's my point. Some suggested it was the different humidity areas. I'm suggesting maybe they've just changed the yarn at the manufacturing level. Because it didn't used to be rough but the one I bought two weeks ago was.

:)

Crocheted thongs, i can only think of two words when i see them: PERSONAL CHAFING.

Cool.....around here they call them butt floss or crack floss. Very distasteful sounding, but also very accurate:devil

:cheer

:think In NZ & Australia, a Thong is worn on the foot.

It is what you might call a Flip Flop in the US and more often called a Jandal in NZ.

The sort of thong you are relating to, my husband calls a "B u m Jandal" others call "B u m Floss"

(Sorry if B u m offends anyone.)

:eek There is no accounting for what other people like to crochet and wear.:eek

"To each his/her own" as the saying goes.

I also thought of the very personal discomfort but then I would not wear underwear of this sort.

Give me "Granny's big bloomers" any day.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Cool.....around here they call them butt floss or crack floss. Very distasteful sounding, but also very accurate:devil

My cousins call them "salads" and I'm not really sure why!?! I guess they are just strange.

I hate wooden hooks.

I refuse to buy $150 worth of premium yarn for one lousy sweater; I don't care how nice it is.

I like knots.

I hate the feel of wool, but darned if I don't want to felt something.

If I end up in H-E-double hockey sticks, I'll spend eternity joining edges of stuff, I'm sure.

Love thread projects; hate working with thread.

Gauge should be standardized.

I hate that thin yarn costs more than bulky. Put some thin yarn on sale, people!!!!

Thongs=Flip Flops=Zorries!

"Just because my lips aren't moving doesn't mean I'm not counting shh!"

I don't make gauge swatches

I hate plastic hooks

I LOATHE Red Heart yarn - the stuff we get here is so rough that it's not worth using, IMO.

I can't stand joining granny squares

I usually have 4 or 5 projects on the go

I hoard patterns

*weight has been lifted*

That was fun!

what an entertaining thread, I am not sure how I missed it before. Here are mine:

I so dont get crocheted dishcloths. I have been sent a few, and tried to make a few, and I think they are a waste of crochet cotton and a bigger waste of crochet time :eek ( sorry I dont mean to offend). Give me a scotch scourer or dishwasher any day!

I love crochet in bright colours, lime green, orange and purple. I even like them all intogether. I know what not to crochet often picks on these colours but I think they are fabulous.

I still dont get the whole amigurumi craze. To me stuffed crochet and knitted toys have been arround for ages. The British and Europeans have been making little crocheted/knitted dollies and animals for centuries.

I love grannies, they are a part of my crochet heritage.

I dont like crocheted clothing for adults other than accessories - hats, scarves, shawls. I prefer crochet as an embellishment on clothing - a collar or motif, but not the whole darn thing.

I think shrugs are silly. If I am cold I will put on a jumper.

I think crochet slippers are dangerous and refuse to make them for older people. I also dont like crochet socks, mainly cos no one ever sees them so why bother? I would rather see it on a toilet roll or tea pot.

I knot.

I believe every yarn has a use, hence I have a cupboard full of different types. I am a wool snob though, it HAS to be pure Australian wool. I may settle for New Zealand wool if it is a good price, or I am in New Zealand.

I frog cos I am a perfectionist with pattern and stitch count.

I am in too much of a hurry to guage or block, (mainly cos I have spent so much time frogging, counting and shopping for more yarn).

I so dont get crocheted dishcloths. I have been sent a few, and tried to make a few, and I think they are a waste of crochet cotton and a bigger waste of crochet time :eek ( sorry I dont mean to offend). Give me a scotch scourer or dishwasher any day!

I'm with you on this for the washing dishes part. However, I use cloths to wipe counters and tables and faces and hands.

~I don't generally use Red Heart because I don't care for the texture. However, I also do know that it's good for some things and has many good qualities (wears like iron, is great for making toys, and has a great selection of colors, etc.) To each his or her own, I say!

~It drives me nuts when people put down other people's work in a mean way. Not just "knitting vs. crocheting" but fiber snobs, and project snobs. We have enough people who don't understand our craft without us turning on each other. While I don't necessarily like tp cozies, I know that someone worked hard to create one because they had a vision, and I appreciate that.

~It drives me nuts when people call it a crochet needle. I know it's referred to as a needle sometimes, but for pete's sake, it's a crochet HOOK!!

~I don't like crocheting in public because I hate it when people stare, or worse, pretend not to stare! I'm a NYer, and I don't generally welcome conversation from complete strangers on the subway. Sorry, but I'd rather read a book and save my crochet for an environment where I feel safe and comfortable.

~Another pet peeve is when people say they like to crochet dishclothes. Why would anyone want to dress a dish? It's dishcloths.

That's all that comes to mind. Incidentally, I don't have a dishwasher. Not everyone does! But I also think crocheted dishcloths are too thick. I prefer knitted. :lol Go figure!

[quote name='belant;963820

~It drives me nuts when people call it a crochet needle. I know it's referred to as a needle sometimes' date=' but for pete's sake, it's a crochet [i']HOOK[/i]!

~Another pet peeve is when people say they like to crochet dishclothes. Why would anyone want to dress a dish? It's dishcloths.

Glad to see I'm not the only grammar freak...

I never gauge swatch...sometimes that has hurt me, but most of the time it doesn't. my tension is usually consistent/

I use acrylics because they are what I can afford...i do like some of the acrylic blends and those tend to be used for gifts when I do buy them

I don't like the typical granny square, but I like ones that are lacy and have different stitch variations

I love making scarves...i have made about 15 for myself and others and I will continue to make them. they are easy and fashionable.

I like the look of felted items..especially when it's been done in the same stitch over the entire piece.

Archived