Crocheting Heresies

I went to one of the two local yarn stores here. I was wearing a sweater vest that I'd designed and made for myself. The owner of the store and her employee thought it'd be fun to ridicule my sweater and point out the mistake I made on the shaping. (I was going to look for a button to cover it up and make it a design feature)

I spent a little time in the store, looking at the yarn, and asked about knitting classes (this was before I taught myself how to knit...boy did I save money doing that)

I was about to buy a skein of yarn and was looking at buttons when I heard the manager and employee talking down about crochet and about my sweater. I quit looking at the buttons, left the skein I was going to buy on top of the stand where the buttons were, and left.

Went home, found a site online that had reviews for that particular yarn store and wrote a scathing review about how rude that place is. (most of the reviews for that store mentioned how rude the people there are) Then I emailed the store with a link to the site that had all those reviews for their store.

I dont wear my sweater vest any now...the people at that store kind of ruined it for me.

That is just so RUDE...thankfully, we have one LYS here that doesn't poo-poo crocheting. In fact, they have classes for learning crochet, plus a few of their project classes are for crocheted items.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to one of the two local yarn stores here. I was wearing a sweater vest that I'd designed and made for myself. The owner of the store and her employee thought it'd be fun to ridicule my sweater and point out the mistake I made on the shaping. (I was going to look for a button to cover it up and make it a design feature)

I spent a little time in the store, looking at the yarn, and asked about knitting classes (this was before I taught myself how to knit...boy did I save money doing that)

I was about to buy a skein of yarn and was looking at buttons when I heard the manager and employee talking down about crochet and about my sweater. I quit looking at the buttons, left the skein I was going to buy on top of the stand where the buttons were, and left.

Went home, found a site online that had reviews for that particular yarn store and wrote a scathing review about how rude that place is. (most of the reviews for that store mentioned how rude the people there are) Then I emailed the store with a link to the site that had all those reviews for their store.

I dont wear my sweater vest any now...the people at that store kind of ruined it for me.

I'm with the others: Wear it well, girl!

In my newbie-ness, I didn't figure any yarn store would have issues with what you did with the yarn. :think There are two (in opposite directions from me, of course) and while one is very knitting heavy, she does find my crochet interesting. The other one is marvelous. She has both crochet and knitting projects displayed around the store, and rocking chairs for working on whatever you wish! She even offered to help me with any crochet questions, because she crochets, too. Oh, and there is coffee...ummmm....:manyheart

So, when I have the $$ I'll hit 'em both...in the clearance aisle!! :rofl

The people at that store are truly predjudiced (did I spell that right?) against crochet. They were really snotty about knitting...I was asking if they knew anyone who I could hire to knit my mother and her sister each a sweater out of yarn that I inherited from my maternal grandma (she was a knitter) and they told me that "knitters dont like to make things for other people, or for hire, they like to make things just for themselves" (ok, I paraphrased that, but it's basically what they said)

I was like, geeze...what a snotty yarn store.

They were just seriously elitist about knitting.

I went to one of the other yarn stores in Omaha (A String of Purls, the best yarn store in Omaha...so far, there's a third store here that I have yet to visit) and someone gave me some names of knitters who could make a sweater for my mom and aunt. And they complimented me on the red Groovy sweater that I made from a pattern I printed from the old Groovy Crochet website before it went bye bye from the internet. (it went away in 2000, so I've had that pattern hiding in my binders for years)

So, at least there's one yarn store in Omaha that is crochet-friendly and I at least attempt to buy something whenever I go into A String Of Purls.

the Rude yarn store is being forced to move. The hospital that's next to them owns the land the store is on, and wants to expand the hospital. So the yarn store is having a free standing building built several blocks away supposedly. I'm hoping that when they move, they'll leave the rudeness behind at the old store, since from what I read in the newspaper, it sounds like it'll be a neat store to visit from the description of their plans.

I started posting to this thread a couple of days ago and then realized that I have so many I wouldn't be able to finish the post before it was time to go to work, so I stopped. :lol

I NEVER make swatches. Especially if I'm working with a fancy yarn (meaning boucle or fur or anything nubby) because with the fancy yarns you can't frog them easily without doing damage to the yarn itself. Fortunately I've always managed to come out OK. So far. :::fingers crossed:::

Although I don't begrudge anyone else doing it, I just don't see the charm in felted items. In the past, when I have had things "felt" on me because of washing accidents or otherwise incorrect handling on my part, I've thrown them out.

The SnB book - the only two patterns in it that I like are the Fat Bottom Bag and the Short N Sweet sweater. I have yet to make either one. I started a FBB a couple of months ago the day the book arrived, but never found a pair of handles that I liked so it remains a UFO. I now have a pair of leather handles from a mortally wounded Louis Vuitton purse that I had, but they belong on a bag the likes of which I have not yet found a pattern for. Maybe someday.

I really don't get the elitist attitude of knitters and LYS's. A LYS sells yarn. Crocheters use as much yarn as knitters. Why alienate that large a portion of your client base just because you don't like their craft? Nobody is pointing a gun to your head and ordering you to "crochet or die". If you don't like crochet, don't do it. Some of us like it. Live with that.

I don't "do" cozies. Well, tea cozies are one thing. But the whole "cozy" thing has gotten WAY out of hand. I saw a pattern online the other night for a lipstick cozy. Do lipsticks get chilly? Perhaps even a lacy looking cozy out of thread might be pretty for something cosmetic, not that I would make one, but knitting worsted? :think

I don't understand kids summer clothes made from knitting worsted. Nothing says :blink like a child in 90 degree weather wearing shorts or a halter top made from Wintuk.

I reuse and recycle yarn. If a sweater in a thrift shop or yard sale catches my eye, I bring it home and frog it for the yarn.

I love, love, LOVE yarn lot sales on :ebay !!!! I don't care what's in the box, just give me a big old box of yarn at a great price and I can have fun with the stuff for WEEKS!! It doesn't have to be expensive yarn. Any old fiber will do! :hook

Elle

I don't like RHSS.

I have become a yarn snob and am proud of it.

I tie knots.

I will frog only when necessary.

I only swatch when making clothing. And only if the swatch is smaller than a gazillion stitches by a gazillion stitches. :)

I crochet at church during the sermons. (Oh the horror and how rude and disrespectful! - To whom? Not the pastor and not to God. Anyone else can - well, that's between them and God.)

I'm sure there are more, I just cannot think of them right now. :)

I really don't get the elitist attitude of knitters and LYS's. A LYS sells yarn. Crocheters use as much yarn as knitters.

Elle

Actually, I do both, and crochet takes more yarn to make a piece the same size. This is not a plus or a minus, just different.

Crochet does things knit won't do, knit does things crochet doesn't quite do. (and sometimes I put both methods in the same object!)

The big Yuppie LYS store that is only knitting and needlepoint oriented, is a place I go only when I need something specific RIGHT NOW, and can't get it elsewhere and can't wait for an Internet order...

The little friendly "any yarn craft" store is a great place to go and even JUST HANG OUT, even if I don't actually need anything. Though every time I go there, I seem to buy *something*...

You know, I've never understood the whole attitude of yarn stores. I've been in one LYS in my entire life, and it seriously warped me.:lol They looked down on the fact that I knitted with aluminum needles and used RHSS, and seemed to make a value judgment about me as a person based on my yarn choices. Guess what--I used what I could afford at the time, which did not happen to be their expensive yarn. I'd hate to see what would happen if I walked into the same store today and wanted some yarn to...CROCHET with! They might run me out of there, brandishing size 50 knitting needles at my head. I'd rather buy online or anywhere other than a place like that.

This has been a really interesting and fun thread to read. :lol

I really don't want the ends to come loose in the wash so I knot and weave in ends.

I rarely swatch mostly because I haven't crocheted anything where getting exact gauge is really important yet.

I think a lot of crocheted garments out there will look a whole lot better with a good blocking.

I'm not into felting but I might try it one day just to see what the fuss is about.

I'm not a yarn snob but I do prefer natural fibers like cotton because I live in a tropical country and it helps to wear fibers that breathe.

I don't understand the fuss about Annie's Attic. I don't like 90% of the patterns that I've seen so far.

I wish there're more good crocheted garments patterns out there instead of just afghans, afghans and more afghans.

I prefer to crochet functional items that I'll actually use instead of decorative ones.

I can appreciate the hard work that goes into crocheting an intricate doily but it's not my decorating style. I've no use for one so I'll never make one unless it's intended as a gift.

Same for round ripples. I prefer my blankets to come with 4 corners.

And cozies. I don't understand why teapots or toilet paper rolls need cozies. The only time I'll even consider crocheting one is for my mobile phone or iPod as protective covering. Even then, I won't do it in worsted weight.

I've been lucky so far in that I've never been treated badly at LYS or anywhere else for crocheting. I'm truly sorry for anyone who had to experience that. Having said that, as someone who both crochets and knits, I'm tired of the rivalry between both camps, tired of some knitters who are overly offensive/defensive and tired of some crocheters who are overly defensive/offensive. Why can't we all get along and ravel in the fiberly love?

And cozies. I don't understand why teapots or toilet paper rolls need cozies. The only time I'll even consider crocheting one is for my mobile phone or iPod as protective covering. Even then, I won't do it in worsted weight.

Tea cozies (or cosies to the Brits) actually do have a function. They slow down heat loss when brewing tea. What I don't understand are tea cozies that don't have openings for the handle, spout and lid so you have to remove them before pouring.

Toilet paper cozies, OTOH, I just don't get.

I don't get what all the fuss is over 2-strand afghans. Sure, I love making RoseRed's flannelghan and you can only get that look with 2 strands, but having ever pattern out there be 2-strands WW and a Jumbo (not Jimbo) hook... :think

I don't like synthetics for any garment other than a sweater or the like. I want my fabrics to breathe and not get icky when I sweat. WW should only be used on sweaters too, sport, fingering/sock weight or thread makes a much less bulky fabric and I definately don't need any additional bulk!

Why would you want to make socks out of WW?? I mean, I can understand slippers, but socks?? I wouldn't be able to fit them in my shoes!

I think many of us crocheters would get along fine with knitters, and vice versa, but in some camps, it has almost become the "thing" to do to put down whichever craft you don't do, and that's led to a lot of hurt feelings for people. I started out as a knitter, and have great respect for the craft, but I found that I was better at crocheting, and have more pleasure overall from it. I might pick up the needles again one day-who knows. Then I'll be bi-stitchual (I read that somewhere, and thought it was a cute description of a crocheting knitter/knitting crocheter.)

Now, for my heresies:

Put me down for the "usually don't swatch crowd."

I did Tunisian crochet before it was cool. Heck, afghan stitch is the first one I learned.

I usually have to go up a couple of sizes of hook.

I have to change the color scheme of most patterns.

I'd like to try crocheting socks, but why oh why do all the sock patterns call for worsted or sport weight yarn? I think I've found one crochet sock pattern that actually uses sock weight yarn.

Won't felt, uh, uh, not gonna do it.

I'm another one who doesn't get free form (AKA scrumbling).

Hate plastic hooks with the exception of the Clover's light up hooks.

I got the SNB book for two things: the detailed directions on how to crochet flat rounds, and the iPod cozies. I don't actually plan on making the iPod cozies you understand; I want to adapt their technique for putting in a plastic window to a cell phone case.

Not a fan of Fun Fur or most novelty yarns.

I do make dishcloths, in nylon cord. IMHO, cotton yarn isn't sturdy enough to do a good job of scrubbing.

You know, I've never understood the whole attitude of yarn stores. I've been in one LYS in my entire life, and it seriously warped me.:lol They looked down on the fact that I knitted with aluminum needles and used RHSS, and seemed to make a value judgment about me as a person based on my yarn choices. Guess what--I used what I could afford at the time, which did not happen to be their expensive yarn. I'd hate to see what would happen if I walked into the same store today and wanted some yarn to...CROCHET with! They might run me out of there, brandishing size 50 knitting needles at my head. I'd rather buy online or anywhere other than a place like that.

I've never understood it, either. You'd think they'd be tickled pink to sell us yarn, seeing as our craft requires so much more of it...

All this talk about yarn shops leads me to one of the (many) things I'd like to do when I retire: open a yarn store that sells all types of yarn, from RH and Caron to Debbie Bliss, Rowan, Tahki and even that $36/skein stuff I saw at my LYS the other day. And in a wide variety of colors, not just two or three. It would cater to crocheters and knitters both. People could come in at any time of day/evening and work on their projects over a cup of tea, but there would be no pressure to buy. I'd stock all the magazines. And there would be absolutely no discussion about any sort of rivalry between C's and K's.

I don't think I've ever seen a yarn shop that sells everything from RH to Debbie Bliss...Anyone else?

Don't let rude, clueless, thoughtless, class-less people keep you from wearing that vest:( If i made a vest, i don't care if one armhole's bigger than the other, i'd wear it because i made it, and that i completed it without ripping my hair out lol.

All this talk about yarn shops leads me to one of the (many) things I'd like to do when I retire: open a yarn store that sells all types of yarn, from RH and Caron to Debbie Bliss, Rowan, Tahki and even that $36/skein stuff I saw at my LYS the other day. And in a wide variety of colors, not just two or three. It would cater to crocheters and knitters both. People could come in at any time of day/evening and work on their projects over a cup of tea, but there would be no pressure to buy. I'd stock all the magazines. And there would be absolutely no discussion about any sort of rivalry between C's and K's.

I don't think I've ever seen a yarn shop that sells everything from RH to Debbie Bliss...Anyone else?

That sounds like heaven, I hope you live in the Pacific Northwest.:manyheart

I've only seen the higher-end yarns in the LYS, I'd love to buy them but I can't afford $8 a skein. I only see the Red Heart and Lion Brand types in big box stores. I'd love to have a place to find them together.

Tea cozies (or cosies to the Brits) actually do have a function. They slow down heat loss when brewing tea. What I don't understand are tea cozies that don't have openings for the handle, spout and lid so you have to remove them before pouring.

Toilet paper cozies, OTOH, I just don't get.

Thanks for the explanation. Now that makes complete sense.

I have only been crocheting for a few month but in that time I have made 9 shawls. I found a nice yarn shop in Maitland Florida. On Tuesday nights they have an open time so you can come in and work on a project, ask for help, even buy something. The owner is very nice and says that she loves to see me come in because the "girls" buy more when I am in the store. I went in last night to say hi and show off the last four items I had done and get some color advice. All of the ladies like my work and one even called me their crochet king. I wish that every one could have a shop like this.

I bought a book of crochet sock patterns and I think I would make a pair out of WW because I hate cold feet in the winter but I don't like wearing shoes inside.

Lis if you don't mind I am going to use a quote from you because it is to good.

"Why can't we all get along and ravel in the fiberly love?"

Most of the time I tie and weave my ends but sometime I just weave. I like natural yarn but would not turn down a good buy or free yarn. I will frogg even for one mistake but I hate every inch of it.

Well, I'm probably risking getting flamed big-time by saying so, but this is my biggest heresy:

I object to the term "yarn snob" in reference to those of us who would rather shop at the LYS. I am not rich; DH and I are barely middle class. But I realized a long time ago that if I could afford a huge stash of RH and Lion Brand, I could afford to go the LYS and buy better quality, natural fiber yarns I like, just less of them -- which means I can afford to buy yarn only when I have a project in mind. So that is what I do now. I had to develop some discipline to do this, and it has cut way down on my stash, to be sure, but it's worth it to me.

I still use Paton's Grace, Caron SS and Vanna on a lot of projects, and I'm going to try the HL ILTY. But if I'm going to put a lot of work into something -- like a special dress for my niece's new baby -- I'm going to use the better LYS yarn. And it depends on what the project is, too: I used Misti Alpaca for a sweater for my newborn grandson, but the hoodie I made him for everyday was acrylic. I made a decorative shawl out of Colinette, but my everyday winter shawl is acrylic.

I realize some people really like RH and Lion Brand, so, fine, use what you like; that's my point. But when I hear people imperiously say, "I'd love to go to the highfalutin', ritzy, expensive LYS, but I'm on a budget, etc." and I know they have 16 plastic barrels of RH in their garage, that's a form of yarn snobbery, too, just in the reverse.

I'm not going to flame you. :manyheart

When I think of "yarn snobbery" I think of those who purchase expensive yarn and look down on those of us who like RH, and the look down on RH or the people who buy them simply because of the price, not even the quality and some (I admit not all) is good quality. Or any type of inexpensive yarn. I have made vests, sweaters, baby items, slippers, scarfs, hot pads, afghans etc., out of RH and they turn out fine.

Debbi

PS: I don't have 16 bins, I have a few weekender type bags that are getting less as I'm using them up. ;)

I am not going to flame anyone for using a good yarn and supporting the LYS in their area. My problem with the LYS here, is that they stick up their noses the minute you say you are going to crochet something. I was going to make a very nice dress for my cousins little girl and went in to look at the yarn and probably buy it. When the woman came over and saw the pattern I was holding and the yarn I was looking at, she scoffed at me and said I can't believe you are even thinking about crocheting with that yarn. That is for knitting. The sad part is that it was the very yarn that the pattern recommended. I looked at her and said thank you and walked out. I will not set foot in that store again. Funny, I thought you could do what ever you wanted to do with yarn.

Archived