Crocheting Heresies

I Also hate it (also to add to above) when My Son questions me about Can i HE learn to crochet.. and I Tell him yes... but yet he WORRIES ppl will call him a sissy or tell him crochet is for girls. I"m PROUD he wants to learn.

I say hooray to your son wanting to learn! Just remind him that being unique is what makes cool people cool!:D

and also - THANK YOU, what in the heck is the purpose of "food related cozies"?!?!?!?! I have wondered this for so long!!!

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Also hate it (also to add to above) when My Son questions me about Can i HE learn to crochet.. and I Tell him yes... but yet he WORRIES ppl will call him a sissy or tell him crochet is for girls. I"m PROUD he wants to learn.

I think it's beginning to change. When my SnB group was at Starbucks, a young guy came over to our table with his girlfriend and told us he crocheted. Hey, who knows? Your son could grow up to be the next Crochet Dude! :lol

hmm.. let's see:

I almost never follow patterns exactly; I tend to use them more as a guide.

I don't get felting or blocking.

I never check gauge.

I love amigurumi

I didn't learn how to crochet by making dish clothes, I started with amigurumi

I love working in circles.

I will start working on one project the see something else I want to try and start it, so it takes me forever to get the original project done.

And that's all I can think of right now.

Lets see

i don't always use the correct hook size but my project usually comes out just as good anyways.

I lOVE RH super savers but also love the eyelash yarn too.

I don't care much for the 10.99 and up yarns to me their just not worth it.

I only use sugar and cream cotton.

I hate making doilies

I hate making granny squares.

• 1 month later...

What a great thread! I am so glad there are so many folks out there just like me! I love patterns and have a bunch, but rarely follow the pattern all the way through. I think one of thethngs love most about yarn is color, color, color, and more color!!!! I think Red Heart SS has definitely gone downhill. It used to be better and softer-wonder where it's made?

I tie KNOTS! I don't find any other way to make a piece hold up to use. And I intend my pieces to be practical!

I do like felting, but it is still hard for me to watch a HUGE purse that I have put nine million stitches in shrink to a teeny clutch. I have only machine felted and may have to try hand felting.

I like to make almost anything=except cozies to coffee cups-sorry I use insulated cups!

I have got to start posting more often-you guys sound like a hoot!!!

Hmmmm..... it's been a while since I've added to this thread.

I usually don't tie knots but do tend to weave several inches of tag ends into the crocheted fabric.

I like novelty yarns for trim but really struggle with stitch count if I am using the yarn for a bigger project.

I absolutely love to make doilies and out of necessity have found dozens of alternate uses for them....lol.

I collect waaaaaay too many patterns, pattern books and on line favorites but can't seem to stop myself.

I love the feel of Simply Soft but wish it didn't get "wear weary" after several washings.

Always have several projects going.

Not keen on making kitchen items.

Make more lapghans now than afghans.

This is a terrific thread.

Got rid of my Susan Bates hooks

Vanna White pattern books need to be tested before release

I don't do swatches (but the swatchie patterns are cute)

I positively loath the word BLANKIE

will never felt

I think doilies are pretty, and I make them, but, I do not want them, I give them away

Shame on Walmart, downsizing craft departments

I am still new to crocheting but I ...

love homespun for some projects (such as some of the hats I am making)

Love the Pound of Love projects

Love working in thread

Really enjoy doing edges to items

Need to build up my stash at this time its just one small plastic bin

Love susan bates plastic hooks right at this time they seem to slide easily when hooking

Think its a shame Walmart has reduced its craft department.

Love Vintage pattern books (ebay is a great resource for these)

Hmm... Can't wait to start my projects for my Christmas tree for next year.

• 10 months later...

i somehow ran across this thread during a search for a scarf pattern! it was so much fun reading it, i had to bump it up! lol...it has put my mind to rest about all of my crochet "quirks". i found myself in so many of the posts.

i'm so waayy outside of the box in many areas of my life, crochet included! now i find i'm not so out there after all. *sigh*

i will have to post a picture of my rainbow rag shawl. with knots tied. purposely made for the knotted ends to show. it totally rawks.

I will not crochet food items, makes no sense to me.:think

Dislike plastic hooks.

I tie knots too, then weave in the ends.

I stay away from patterns with too many color changes.

Find granny squares boring.

Will not crochet clothes. Simply because sleeves always look a bit bulky around the elbows.

I will not crochet food items, makes no sense to me.:think

Dislike plastic hooks.

I tie knots too, then weave in the ends.

I stay away from patterns with too many color changes.

Find granny squares boring.

Will not crochet clothes. Simply because sleeves always look a bit bulky around the elbows.

I make the food items for kids' play kitchens. Some of my relatives are moving away from plastic toys so the crochet food has been a HUGE hit.:lol I can make much of it from my stash so its a stash buster.

I also have seen some interesting holiday displays. Where people used to buy the plastic fruit and veggies, there are some really cool crochet displays.

I have done a few hats, scarves, and shawls, but I refuse to get into clothing. (Other than dolls. The children in this family have dolls with more extensive wardrobes than most of us do to my Mom and I. :lol)

I have no understanding of felting.

It has felt so good to realize I am not the only person who uses knots. I have read all the reasons not to use them, but still feel compelled.

I am useless with thread and any yarn under a 2. I often substitute 2 level yarn for thread when I can get away with it for doll's clothes and other projects. Lustersheen has been my friend.

I prefer Caron Pounders to Red Heart because it is softer and with sales I can get more for my money.

I love ami's and other styles of toys. I have used Sugar and Cream and Bernat Cotton and have no preference. I like Bernat because my box store has the large ones on sale frequently.

I can knit a little, but respect knitters. My Mom and Aunt both knit and it expands the types of projects we can make for the family. I buy my Mom knitting patterns for toys and doll clothes and I crochet. The kids get a broader variety than if we shared one talent.

I refuse to use a crochet hook smaller than an F. Anything smaller and my eyes cross.

I will leave the thread work to those who enjoy it. I will personally stick to learning more and getting more advanced with the regular size hooks.

I LOVE redheart yarn.

I have absolutely no want or need to learn felting.

The only reason I am learning to use my long afghan hook is that I have had it sitting in a drawer for years and felt like it was time to do SOMETHING with it.

I usually have about 4 WIP's at a time. I get so bored with a pattern or sick of looking at the same color yarn that I just have to work something different for awhile.

I have had a few times in my life (most recent july 2010) that I have a mental breakdown and freak out to the point where I purge everything that I feel makes me happy.(because at the moment of my meltdown I didn't feel like I deserved to be happy with the things that were happening in my life at the moment.) That included all my hooks,yarn,fabric,everything. Once I got all my brain cells back to normal I had to start from scratch and replace everything I gave away or tossed out.

I did try knitting and respect those that can do it and keep their sanity.

Archived