Crocheting Heresies

I have found the last few issues of Interweave Crochet uninteresting.

I am one of the few people who seem to like Lionbrand Homespun yarn.

I refuse to gauge except for clothing.

I always make shawls larger than called for.

I tie yarn together on some projects.

I like nice soft acrylics as well as more natural fibers.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Swatching is for those without a sense of adventure. :devil

I will not frog unless I caught it right away or it's really noticable (I use the husband scale; if he notices it, it needs to be fixed)

I crochet from left to right & backwards, and I don't care that it's wrong.

I like acrylic yarn for crochet, wool or silk for knitting.

I prefer patterns that are in "shorthand" or have symbols.

I wll not make something for sale unless I have been paid beforehand.

That said most things if you ask I'll just give it to you.

I crochet at work.

Oh, and I never ever tie knots. I've never had anything unravel.

And, um, sorry, but tp covers are gross. Fiber tends to absorb odor, and, well...it's in the bathroom....:scared

Let's see...

I don't swatch.

I've never worked with a bucle or other fun yarn and I don't want to.

I want to learn to knit

I have bought only 2 books with patterns - the Crochet Stitch Bible, and one of Celtic knitted sweaters/vests/jackets

I almost always deviate from the pattern and make it the way I want to

I really don't have a stash

Lately I seem to be keeping more than I give away

I have never crocheted for charity (we really don't have any around here that I am aware of)

DH is currently sleeping under a blanket that I am still working on

I tried Tunisian once and didn't like it

I discovered that large acrylic items turn out the same whether they get blocked and pressed or not (as long as you wash them)

I like wool but I hated the Lion wool

I rarely get yarn from anywhere other than "wallyworld"

I work over my ends as I go (even sew over them) instead of weaving them in

I've become really good at fudging to cover up mistakes (even if they're only one row back)

I'm sure there's many more

After "accidentally" felting an afghan that my grandmother had given to my aunt, I have no desire to "felt" anything anywhere anyhow. (Seems it's really popular right now.) I was trying to restore that afghan, had no idea that it was made of wool, and I washed & dried it in the attempt to brighten it up. I ended up writing down the colors of each square, and making a complete new one. If anyone's interested in "Maw-maw Pohlmann's Heirloom Afghan", I have the pattern!

What, exactly, IS the SNB book?

It is called Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker and it is by Debbie Stoller who also wrote a series of knitting books. I think it is a love or hate type of thing with the book because I really like it and it helped make me a much better crocheter, but there are others who really don't like it.

It is called Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker and it is by Debbie Stoller who also wrote a series of knitting books. I think it is a love or hate type of thing with the book because I really like it and it helped make me a much better crocheter, but there are others who really don't like it.

I just can't stand her whole style of writing, but that's probably because I'm an old fuddy-duddy. Also, I'm not bowled over by any of the projects -- give me Melissa Leapman, Jean Leinhauser, or Rita Weiss anyday...

Lets see....

I only use Susan Bates hooks, except if I am using a steel crochet hook to work on a thread project, then it has to be a Boye.

I am teaching myself how to knit. So far so good but I have found that I only like bamboo knitting needles.

I hate red heart clouds, patons nuance, & homespun...other than that I like all types of yarn.

I only frog if the mistake is really noticeable or will mess up something else later on.

I was pretty disappointed with the SNB book.

I only swatch when I'm making a wearable.

I don't like Tunisian crochet but like hairpin lace and want to learn broomstick.

I'm an impulse pattern buyer. I can easily spend $10 or $15 at lunchtime buying a pattern online. Especially if there is instant gratification by being able to download it immediately.

I do most of my crocheting on the train to and from work everyday.

I work over my ends, when I can.

I read most of the thread... here're mine:

-I always use knots to join two colors and I don't tuck them in until I'm all done.

-I don't block. I had to ask my mother what that was the first time I saw it in a pattern

-I don't make a test swatch, although I'll check the gauge if size is important

-I'm not quite sure what a granny square is

-I was surprised to learn you could make a blanket by crocheting back and forth (until then, the only blanket I'd made was done in the round).

-I like working in the round.

-I'd never heard of frogging until I joined this forum.

-I only pull out my work if it's not coming out right at all. If I can work around a mistake, I do.

-I absolutely hate the magic circle. There's nothing magic in them for me.

-I can't follow diagram patterns. I need them writtern out. (that might be because I'm left-handed.)

-I'm not sure I even want to learn the Afghan stitch.

-I'll use single crochet for anything, given half a chance. :yes

-The fancy yarns give me a headache, but I'll put up with them in order to get the effect. :devil

-The idea of making lace with a thread and a hook is actually wat got me crocheting again. (I made a handkerchief for my sister's wedding.) :yarn

That's it for now...

hokay...

- I AM NOT A FAN OF ROUND RIPPLES

- I weave in my ends as i go. what??!? :) I tried knotting a few times and it bugs my conscience too much.

- I own more books, patterns, stash and tools than I'll probably use in my life time, and don't feel guilty about it.

- I once made a double stranded cotton dishcloth and gave it to my dad's girlfriend, even though i thought it looked like crud.

hehe i better stop there! :) thanks for the thread -jr

Hi everyone,

I am new here but I love this thread.

I never block.

I tweak patterns to suit me all the time.

I use acrylics. Don't like Red Heart but will use it. Like Vanna and Caron.

I rarely worry about gauge....probably would it I made clothes but I make only afghans.

No Dye Lot is a joke at least with RH.

I like Granny Squares because they are so portable but rarely make the traditional....have made several afghans using squares and combinations of squares from Jan Eaton's 200 Crochet Squares book. I like putting them together but there are books and patterns out there now that you join as you go but I haven't tried one yet.

I usually leave about an 8" piece and crochet over half of it then weave in the rest.

Ok now one question...several of you have mentioned that you tie knots......when do you tie these knots? when joining colors?

Cindy

• 8 months later...

This is a fun thread

Knot tie-r here too, though I use the Russian join lately

Don't like putting granny squares together

I love Homespun too!

I don't block

I don't make a gauge sample

I don't use the hook called for in a pattern

I prefer wood hooks that I make

Fun yarn is not fun

Either is felting

Painted doilies look fun but thread hurts my eyes

I also make shawls bigger than called for, who likes a small shawl?

No desire to learn to knit

Love my Boye hooks, have them in every size

You can never have too much yarn!!

THOU SHALT NOT STEAL MY CROCHET SCISSORS TO TRIM YOUR MUSTACHE WITH!!

I tie knots if I feel the need.

I crochet my ends into my work and trim off whatever I miss.

I like lots of different yarns-it's all about how they feel to my hands. I will admit, I go to Michaels, just to molest the yarn.

I work a lot with RHSS, just because it's inexpensive and I know how to make it soft enough for newborn skin. (cheap hair conditioner as softener, soak, rinse, fluff dry!)

I don't block most of the time.

I have never in my life completed a pattern from beginning to end without changing something. I don't think I know how!

I have no idea how long it takes to complete something because life happens right when I'm almost done!

THOU SHALT NOT STEAL MY CROCHET SCISSORS TO TRIM YOUR MUSTACHE WITH!!

Oh boy, I am in complete agreement with this one! :lol

Have you ever tried doing it the other way around and seen the reaction? Have you ever borrowed the mustache scissors for your yarn? You would have thought I had borrowed them to shave a yak from the reaction I got! :lol It's OK to use my scissors for whatever task is at hand, but let me borrow the precious facial hair scissors to clip one little piece of yarn and I practically have to sign an affidavit that it will only involve a piece or two of yarn and the scissors will be returned to the shelf in the bathroom immediately upon the completion of the task. I wouldn't care if he actually used them to trim his facial hair, but there they sit, and nothing on the face gets trimmed until I grab him by the earlobe and drag him into the bathroom, use my good hair scissors, and trim up his face myself! Sure, he has the scissors, but they must remain in pristine condition while the hair under the nose grows unchecked until he looks like a party favor when he sneezes :eek unless I take matters into my own hands!

:::looks around sheepishly::: Sorry for the rant.

I also tie knots.

I never make a test swatch, which often bites me in the butt. I just cannot bring myself to do it.

I am a good started, but a terrible finisher. Lots of UFOs in my craft room.

I also am not fond of 'fancier' yarns. My friend bought me mohair yarn and I hate that it sheds all over me. It also makes me itchy, which worries me.

I look at patterns for inspiration, but usually just wing it for most projects. My bags and scarves are spur of the moment creations.

I tie knots faithfully

can knit but not very well I prefer Crochet

I do not do gauge swatches unless its a garment

I dont always use the hook called for

Granny squares I will make but not to fussy on putting them together unless they are 8" or larger

my yarn scissors are not for cutting things out in the garage when the wife is not looking or not home Ugh that drives me batty takes me 30 minutes to find them out there.

I will not use fun fur because it is hard to work with

I will not make Granny Squares one I can't remember how to and when I try it still doesn't come out the way it should so no thanks there

I'm not picky on my hooks I use whatever I have on hand

I hate when people think one craft is better than the other I just think each craft serves it's purpose and whatever floats your boat

I love almost all yarns except the first one mentioned I will not use Patons Divine again either it is just too hard to work with I did make one scarf with it but will not be buying anymore of it

can't think of anymore but give me more time and I'm sure I will

I don't make guage swatches

I like whatever yarn is on sale/clearance- esp if it is cotton

I use the same purple H hook almost all the time if I can get away with it

I love ami, but it hurts my hands to crochet that tight, so I collect the patterns knowing I will never make them

I have completed one afghan EVER and will never make another again

I rarely finish anything- and it always becomes something else a few more times

I like thread, but I use an F hook so it looks all spider-webby.

I hate RHSS too, but I use it because its cheap. I mainly hate how depending on the color, each skein is softer or scratchier or thicker or thinner- so when you put several colors together it actually looks like all different kinds of yarn

I like SS Eco better than the regular kind because it is much less splitty

I like making granny squares- but only once. To make 30 or more to get an afghan would make me want to shoot myself. I do NOT like traditional granny squares!

I hate crocheting when I have to finish something quickly for a gift. Makes me want to throw it out the window and go buy a gift card.

I love making purses, but I would never carry one.

I hate tunisian

I have to change at least one thing to every pattern

I like patterns simple enough to read once and not have to waste paper and printer ink

I don't understand freeform crochet- crocheting without a pattern is just crocheting- and if it looks like something that washed up on the beach, why be so proud of it?

I love big ugly beads

I hate fringe

I love crocheting flower themes, but am not a flower kind of girl

Everything I crochet has cat fur intermingled in it and I couldn't be bothered less

I hate balling yarn- my scraps go in a big box in a tangle and I fight with them when I absolutely have to

A lot of brown and red dyes in yarns upset my allergies big time, but I keep crocheting and just pop a couple Benedryl.

I absolutely love making dog coats- intending to sell them- but really never trying to.

I do not do the 'crochet by request' thing very well UNLESS they are paying me really good money!

I hate novelty yarns but I still buy it if it's cheap.

I don't see the point of spending more on yarn to make something you could have bought in the store cheaper.

I will never pay more than $3 for ANY skein of yarn.

I am cheap (if that wasn't obvious by now)

so glad I found this thread !!!!!All of you echo so much of how I feel !!!

BUt, I love red heart for alot of things

There is no such thing as a NO DYE LOT.

I dont like fringe on baby things

I dont like making something that has "a million little pieces"

I hate that I feel guilty if I dont finish something

I dont think the Vanna Baby yarn is really Baby yarn.....looks and works up bigger

I hate acrylic yarns...yes I am a yarn snob.

I love to make granny squares but hate to sew them together.

I hate all of my metal hooks and wish I could afford jimbos hooks.

I love my bamboo knitting needles.

I don't block.

I rarely make a gauge swatch.

I love to try all new stitches.

I love to collect patterns.

I tie knots and save my weaving in till I finished with the project.

• 11 months later...

1. Gauge? Swatch? Block? What are they? Anything like ironing, dry cleaning, or housework?

2. Hate ends, leave them to the end, sometimes make knots, sometimes weave them in.

3. Tried tried tried TRIED tried tried to learn to knit, quit, and now my life is better for it.

4. Never used anything except acrylics or cotton, but maybe someday I'll experiment.

5. Hate Boye, love Bates (especially Quicksilver); only wooden ones I ever tried were Boye (or Boye based).

6. Don't see the reason for symbols.

7. Don't understand the fuss people make about "oh, I can't crochet (or can't do that project) because I can't read the pattern." Just do it, people! The list of abbreviations is right there.

8. I'm scared of real clothes (sweaters, etc.), maybe because I'm lefthanded.

9. I don't mind RHSS. In fact I haven't met a yarn yet I wouldn't use again.

10. I've never used SNB so I don't know if I like it, but I suspect not.

11. Hate having what I'm doing called knitting.

12. Older I get more I dislike fun yarns.

13. I remember my great aunt making bed dolls and TP covers in the '50s. I was shocked to learn that people still do!

14. Revelation to read that I'm doing lots of things I don't have to. I may stop them after this.

Wouldn't it be great if the people who hate ends (or whatever) could have them done by people who don't mind them? I have an aunt who doesn't crochet, but loves ironing and starching doilies (PM me for her address [just kidding])

1. Extra fluffy fun yarns are like trying to crochet dryer lint.:bang

2. Gauge? Pffft!

3. Tunisian...uh...no.

4. I tie knots but only surgeon's knots. They lay flat.

5. Weave ends as I go.

6. Size 'H' is good for almost everything.

7. Can't knit. My life will go on.

8. Have given up all hope of keeping nice scissors. I'm down to the Crayola fun scissors. How embarrassing. :blush

9. Brand of yarn makes no difference to me - if it's free. :P

10. When in doubt - rip it out.

I have a good one.... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to crochet picots. Sigh. I know. It's almost like a curse, but I do love making them. I put them in so many projects that I do.

I love making doilies.

I hate anything crocheted for the bathroom.

I don't like any yarn that is rough or scratchy to the skin.

I think it's silly to dress your pooch, but I am a pooch dress designer. hee hee.

I've recently fallen in love with felting, but before never knew what the big deal was before.

I love perfection if you can't see all the mistakes that I fudged. snicker

I don't look at people's pattern instructions, because I don't want to be accused of copying their pattern.

Wow, I love this thread. I've only read a few pages but it's made me feel a lot better about some things.

I tie knots. Not all the time but at least half. Any time I don't knot my ends have worked their way out and the project has started unraveling.

As much as I want to buy "nice" yarn, I can't bring myself to do so. All my yarn has been RHSS or some other acrylic other than 4 small things of Lily Sugar n Cream that I found on sale one day at Michael's. I can't afford to spend more money on less yarn. I made a huge afghan for my bed that cost me about $20 that had I bought a cotton or even a nice acrylic would have cost me closer to $50

I don't buy all the yarn I need for a project at the beginning. This goes back to not being able to afford much. Even though most people say that there is no such thing as "no dye lot" that;s what I stick to and I just make sure to buy from the same store and hope there's no noticeable difference.

I want to learn to knit but probably never will.

I like making granny squares but don't think I'll ever stitch a bunch together.

I once made 2 large grannys as babyshower gifts. The colors were the same and by the time the showers got here I had forgotten who's was who's. So I looked them over and decided which had the most mistakes in it and gave it to the person I like the least. I also thought they wouldn't appreciate it as much as the other person would.

I love thread crochet but I don't want to make anything that requires color changes or any form of attaching new yarn because I don't think I could hide the switch and I'm sure a knot would be very noticeable.

Archived