Crocheting Heresies

I used to be embarrassed by how I held the hook....it never matched anyone else's method. Hey, you guys taught me that it doesn't matter as long as it works for me....uh huh, uh huh, uh huh!!!!!!

out of curiosity, do you hold the hook like this too?

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85326

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Sugar", I watched your video. No, that is not how I hold my hook but it sure was neat. Others tell me I hold my hook like I was "using a knife to cut steak"!!!! When I started crocheting I never could accomplish the "standard position" for the hook so I just figured out something that works for me. Thanks for sharing your style.

I also use wool...it is not cruel to shear an animal...

Nope.

You should see my two ewes do the "shearing dance" when they see me comming.

They can't wait to get all that heavy wool off their handsome little behinds and go frolick in the sun again. (They get very letharigic if I leave them too long.... wool + Texas = Unhappy sheepies.)

Plus they look so PRETTY after a shearing! Young and lamblike again.

I never heard of Patricia Waller before now, but those aliens on her front page crack me up! (Disclaimer: If you're particularly easily offended, don't go look. They're not wearing any clothes.) I also found a website about knitting and crocheting for nerds (can't remember where though :( ). Fun stuff!

"Sugar", I watched your video. No, that is not how I hold my hook but it sure was neat. Others tell me I hold my hook like I was "using a knife to cut steak"!!!! When I started crocheting I never could accomplish the "standard position" for the hook so I just figured out something that works for me. Thanks for sharing your style.

Ah, haha :)

I'd like to see how you hold your hook!

• 2 weeks later...

The workmanship and love and hours that went into it are whats important. I am moved to start my own "doilie rescue"! :manyheart

Can I join the doily rescue...I love to find doily's in "antique" stores and buy them all!!

And now for my "issues":

I don't make swatches

I'm not fond of fun yarn (no fun with it yet)

I tie yarn together in a knot

I look at patterns more than I actually make anything from those patterns. Especially old pattern books found at yard sales, thrift stores, etc:manyheart

Umm, OK the newbie HAS to chime in! I thought I was doing all this wrong just because I am still learning!

Hoo,

I hold my hook the same way a 3yo holds their fork... stabbie stabbie!

I will mix european and US notation when I write down a pattern

I will then not follow said pattern

I mix my yarn types... Not just brands, but acrylic with silks etc

I have no idea what size hook I use, I just pick the one that gives the right size stitches

I have yet to make a gauge swatch

I have invented stitches (and I have only been doing this 4 months!)

I REFUSE to felt! I cannot stand the feel of it!

I LOVE 99c balls of wool! Just so I can pelt them at the kids!

I have about 9 projects going at the moment

I do not understand doilies

I do not understand the stitch-together granny blankets, but I understand the giant

single square ones

I rarely knot

What is freeform?

what is Frogging?

Why in the world would I even TRY and use some of the frilly yarns???

I taught myself off youTube!

I will probably NEVER make a wearable except for a Rugby scarf for my son!

I will turn ANY 3D pattern into a granny square!

omg!!! I have never seena arecipe like that....lol.

who thinks of somehting like that.....

Perhaps you only one sock? only one foot may be cold.....:lol

I have seen packets of Peanut M&M's with "WARNING: May contain traces of nuts" on it! Well, I would hope so!

I hardly ever block.

Or swatch.

I always and I do mean ALWAYS change something in a pattern to make it my own.

If I notice a mistake simply because I know it is there, and I show the work to at least two other people and they don't notice it, I am NOT going to frog 20 lines just to fix it.

I have no patience for thread work. I wish I did, but I don't.

I don't knit. I'd like to learn, but I'm too busy with my crochet projects to take the time these days.

I'm sure there is more, but I'll let y'all recover from these.

I posted already but had to add ... weaving in ends? Have never done it, don't even know how to do it or what is actually done. My great aunt taught me to entwine and crochet over ends as I go. I use a thin hook to weave any little tails that might still be sticking out through neighbouring stitches.

I'm also not keen on anything that serves a purely ddecorative function - doilies, covers for household objects- but that's purely personal because I'm untidy anyway so I try to cut down on as much non-essential clutter as possible (I don't have many knick-knacks or ornaments, those I do have are in a glass cabinet and I can see them as I type.) I received a mini doily from a lovely Viller, which I use as a bookmark. Practical and pretty. :D I admire it every time I open my book.

Ok I wanna play too :D This is a fun thread!

I am obsessed with granny squares! I believe they are the most versatile thing in the universe.

I don’t understand what the big deal is about felting.

I think freeform crochet is more than a little odd.

I hate Bates hooks…they squeak no matter what I do.

I hate Caron SS. It’s splits too much and I just don’t like the way it works up though I have used it.

I love “fiddley” crochet. I like little things.

I love to make crochet toys for ME!

I don’t like clothing made with worsted weight yarn.

I think every home should have at least one doily. I have lots (not that I made though, mine are horrible :lo) They keep the furniture protected and look very pretty to me :yes

Crochet socks. Why?

I hate novelty yarn of any type. This includes boucle.

I love RHSS but I am becoming an I Love This Yarn convert.

I love sewing pieces together and weaving ends. I find it to be very Zen.

I love kitchy crochet. Except those half face doll things :scared

I never tie knots but I do usually crochet over my ends. I never knew that was a heresy :think

I hate baby yarn of any brand. It’s too fragile.

This one is gonna get me in trouble I just know it :lol : I think you should be allowed to sell anything you make from a pattern you purchased. As a designer, I totally understand not wanting the pattern sold but the finished item after you paid for the pattern, the materials and the tools?!?! C’mon!

I have entirely too much yarn :blush

I abhor “plain English” patterns. I’m too used to the abbreviations after all these decades :lol

I can’t have more than 2 WIPs at once. I start to feel overwhelmed :blush

I never crochet in public. I hate when folks start talking to me when I’m trying to count :lol

I like the SnB book, but I agree, it's not for everyone :)

This one is gonna get me in trouble I just know it :lol : I think you should be allowed to sell anything you make from a pattern you purchased. As a designer, I totally understand not wanting the pattern sold but the finished item after you paid for the pattern, the materials and the tools?!?! C’mon!

No trouble here, I quite agree! :lol There are some that won't even let you make the item for charity.

After having read this thread numerous times as people add things, I felt that I could finally chime in...so, here goes:

First, I hate to sew, and if it is an afghan that requires sewing, then it is going to take forever.

I love amigurumi

I hate cheap yarn - it splits, and the value isn't worth it if you can't stand to touch it and hate the finished product. By cheap I mean poor quality...how much it cost doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it.

I hate weaving in ends, but every time I try to crochet over them, they come untucked.

I agree that you should be able to sell the finished product from a pattern. That is my work, and I should have full ownership of it.

Gauge swatch, what is a gauge swatch...?

I like making hats and scarves...I do not want to make a sweater or any other sort of wearable.

I make things for my cats out of 100% wool yarn...they like the all natural fibers better than synthetic. Besides, in at least some instances, my cats are more gentle on things than some humans I know.

I only like Boye hooks or wooden hooks, with the exception of my antique ivory hook that was my great-grandmothers. Note, she had this before ivory was illegal.

I think crocheting is for people of all ages.

I like the SnB book...it was very helpful in making me a better crocheter but I do realize that her books are not for everyone.

I will change patterns if I think my way is better for getting something done.

You can never have too much yarn, ever.

I hate any sort of novelty yarn. It is inevitably a pain to work with because you can't see the stitches.

I am willing to buy expensive yarn if it is nice...my cashmere scarf that I crocheted still cost less than one in the store.

I hold my hook funny, and it is because I am ambidextrous. It works for me, so I don't see what is wrong with it.

I think that about does it for me, though I am sure I have some other bad habits that others would view as heresies. Still, that is what makes us all unique, and that way we don't all crochet the same thing. How boring would that be?

I love my Susan Bates hooks and use bamboo hooks to grip slippery soft yarn. No plastic!

I like fringe okay on some things, but don't fringe myself.

I can't make pom poms to save my life (and that's WITH a pom pom maker. :lol ).

I tie knots and crochet over the ends or work in with a hook, I don't like using yarn needles. I usually save the ends for last and don't mind doing them at all.

I won't join things with crochet or yarn needle, but I will sew crocheted items together with needle and thread. I make afghans that are one big granny square.

I don't swatch. I won't swatch. You can't make me.

I like pretty much all yarn types, styles and colors. I don't mind being patient with a fancy or splitty yarn: if that's the type of yarn I need for a project I WILL make it work.

I don't like working with cotton, but will if necessary.

I won't ripple.

I love working in the round!!!

If a pattern calls for working into a ch, I will work into the ch space if I can get away with it. :D

Ok here is my list:

-I also strongly agree that you should be able to sell your finished product made from any pattern. I also think its a bit selfish to restrict someone from selling the finished product on the internet just b/c the pattern writer does.

-I also have absolutly no desire to learn Tunisian or anything like it

-I don't see what all the hype is over joining Ravelry

-I never make a swatch to check gauge

-I always try to crochet over the yarn ends to avoid having to work them in later

-If at all possible I try to avoid tying knots in my work

-I don't understand the concept of free form crochet, I think it looks messy

-I absolutely LOVE Red Heart SS yarn

-I LOVE my Stitch N Bitch book

-I don't care to make anything felted

-I am scared to try to make an actual piece of clothing in fear that I won't understand how to put it together

-I have no desire to learn to knit

-I only use 4-ply yarn almost 100% of the time, I hate baby or fingering weight yarns

-I have only made (1) afghan where I had to join squares, I try not to make anything that I have to sew together

-I don't like working in the round

-I don't like decorative crochet for the home, ex: tissue box covers, toilet paper covers, etc. I think they are tacky

-I have every size of crochet hook even though I don't use most of them but I want to have them "just in case"

'K here's my 2 :2c....

*I have never made a crochet toilet paper roll cover and it's not high on my "to make" list

*Although I like a few of the SnB patterns in the books I am not a fan of the style or the books in general

*I only join yarn at the end of a row or round and will admit to tying knots in the middle to join ONLY in emergency when I can't finish and have enough yarn on what I am doing - but my eye will always go to that if I do it

*No desire to try Free Form

*I don't like RH yarn as it "squeaks" alot when using it - but have used it on blanket edgings and washables for kids as it is the only acrylic that really stands up in the washer AND the dryer for busy moms that I make things for

*I have tried to like Boye hooks as they come in pretty colors but they are too rounded and I slip stitches by accident - so wood or SB, or the light up ones when I am outdoors or in the car at night for me

*I only make swatches for gauge when knitting as I am not as good with "eye balling" the size as I am with crochet.

*The only garments/wearables I crochet are shawls, scarves and baby layettes because I like the feel and weight on adults of a knit sweater.

*I crochet mostly for kitchies, afghans, bags, doilies, blankies, threadies, shawls and baby stuff just not usually adult sweaters.

*Tunisian though lovely to look at frustrates the *&%$ out of me as it is almost as hard as in knitting to pick up and fix a dropped stitch:(

*Think that's it - :rememberoh and about the "knots" subject - Do you all that say you never knot things just weave in ends on the edges of things??? I have tried that on the edges of blankets and no matter what it eventually begins to unravel and fray - so do you mean that you tie off the ends and then weave them in on the end???? Just wondering if I am missing something on that - thanks!:)

Do you all that say you never knot things just weave in ends on the edges of things??? I have tried that on the edges of blankets and no matter what it eventually begins to unravel and fray - so do you mean that you tie off the ends and then weave them in on the end???? Just wondering if I am missing something on that - thanks!:)

I tie off at the end of a project and then weave in the end. If in the middle of a project and switching colors, I take my hook out of the last loop and bring the end of the yarn up through it to "tie" it off and then start with my new color and crochet over the end.

Thanks for explaining that - that is kinda what I thought - but I have tried that and after a few times thru the wash or just with lots of wear - they don't "hold" that way for me - so I usually make a discreet knot that hides itself after I switch yarns or tie off and then crochet the first st over it and weave in on the edge later any tails...

Wish I could avoid the knots on the ends and edges but can't seem to master it!:think

Well, here goes;

I never block

I can't stand certain yarn company websites that require you to register then use your "user name" and "password" to log on. What's that all about, other than it being a nuisance........not user friendly at all!

Another pet peeve...........yarns that are fabulous, you love them, you can afford them, they work up like a dream, then POOF.........they're discontinued, and you're reduced to scrounging around for them on ebay or in the sales bins at your LYS.

I don't get patterns that are not written in PLAIN ENGLISH.......those symbols just don't work for me.

Oh, and one last thing...........the printed patterns on the yarn labels........the print is too darn small for my old eyes!!!!

Thanks for explaining that - that is kinda what I thought - but I have tried that and after a few times thru the wash or just with lots of wear - they don't "hold" that way for me - so I usually make a discreet knot that hides itself after I switch yarns or tie off and then crochet the first st over it and weave in on the edge later any tails...

How long of a tail are you leaving? I usually leave at least a 4" tail.

I love granny squares, but hate trying to learn a new pattern for one, and I think hodgepodge ones look kinda tacky unless they are similar color scheme

I HATE HATE HATE weaving in ends...it sickens me :yuck:yuck:yuck

It drives me mad to see my project all over the apartment (cats!!) UNLESS its not my project, then its funny. :lol

I hate that I loose hooks to the couch bunnies a lot:rabbit

I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEE being called a "granny/grandma/old" just because I crochet, im 23 for crying out loud and at least I can make something functional with my hands!!:rant:irk:bang:yell:grumpy:thair

I like simple patterns, with pictures:hook:hook:c9

Im not good at thread crochet, cept for snowflakes, and thats the only time I block!

I NEVER EVER swatch to check guage

I always have to up the hook size cause apparently I crochet tightly

Im not good at wearables at all

I don't like scratchy yarns

I love love love "I love this yarn"

I hate baby weight yarn, 4-ply all the way

I want to get paid for my work, and I HATE it when people expect homemade gifts

Im terrible and have crochet A.D.D. so many WIPs =/

I would love to have my OWN room for projects

I hate felt...dunno why just looks dingy??

I knit, but I cannot even pearl stitch...yep its true...just knit stitch for me...so I prefer crochet

I dont like "fun yarn" furs, fuzzy, scratchy, sparkly, ect. Too hard for me to work with

Lastly, and Im sure I could think of more..

NEVER ever enough time/energy for crochet :no:no:no

"Sugar" I saw the video and you seem to hold the hook and yarn in the same hand. I've never seen it that way before. Most people hold the hook in one hand, yarn in the other. But if it works for you, go with it. As for holding the hook, there's the "pencil" or the "knife" grip (a thread about that here somewhere).

Ellie 13

Archived