Crocheting Heresies

omg!!! I have never seena arecipe like that....lol.

who thinks of somehting like that.....

Perhaps you only one sock? only one foot may be cold.....:lol

I'm guessing the same people who tell you in the instructions "Do not use hairdryer while asleep." :lol

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It took me a few days, but I read through this ENTIRE thread! :devil

Let's see.

I like Red Heart, but only because it is good for toys, loose granny squares, and is cheap. It's what I started crocheting with.

I LOVE Caron Simply Soft! I just discovered it and after Red Heart, OH MY!!!!! :c9

I love Fun Fur, chenille, boucle, any novelty yarn. IF YOU HAVE FUN FUR AND DON'T WANT IT, PM me! lol I want it all, but it is soo stinking expensive! :lol

I love doilies, granny sqaures, ponchos, bed dolls, and TP covers. :devil

I even crochet with thread!!!

I love size H, will use it for almost anything. A big deciding factor in which patterns I will make! :lol

I have never yet made a guage swatch. If I start testing, that will change.

My favorite hooks are my 3 Susan Bates hooks that were given me by some friends. Of course, I cannot even find them right now! I can use Bates hooks just fine.

I LIKE Fun Fur! What's the big deal, guys? :lol

I long to have some gorgeous angora to work into a sweater. Or silk. Or cashmere. Or!

If I see a pattern I like the picture of, I will not read the pattern if I think I can make it myself! Because then I would be ripping off as my own! :P I like making my own.

Free form is like all other modern "art" - a total waste.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. Lol

A couple more. :devil

I crochet over my ends as I go, as I have figured out a way to switch colours very very neatly.

I have Crochet ADHD!! :lol

I have read all the previous pages and thought I would add mine.

I don't like the tunision/afgan stitch

Don't do swatches, my gauge usually matches the pattern

Have not tried felting and not sure I ever will

Don't like plastic hooks or boye hooks. Love my Susan Bates hooks

I like RHSS and cotton.

Not a fun fur fan

Made one doily years ago, would make another but my eyesite is getting bad from diabetes.

I will knot when I need to (not much) I weave in my ends when I finish my project.

Don't frog unless I make a major mistake and can't crochet past it.

Don't like double strand work

Can't get the hang of amurigami, mine look terrible.

I collect patterns

I spend more time looking at pattterns than I do crocheting

Nancy

I do not swatch either.

I will use but do not like Caron SS. The splitting makes me want to scream.

I do not think that all handmade items are beautiful. Although, I would never say something bad to someone about their item.

While I have no problem with freeform, I will never understand the need for a pattern to make something freeform.

If one more person tells me crochet is for old ladies I will doe them in the nose and show them how hard an old lady can punch!

If someone asks me to make them something that usually always means I won't do it. I feel committed and that takes the fun out of it. If I offer to do it that is completely different. I made blankets for a friend to give someone at a baby shower once and for weeks after someone else hounded me to make her a blanket. I got tired of hearing it so I dug an old ugly one out of the back of the closet, washed it and told her I made it just for her.

I do not have a crochet bag to carry. I use whatever plastic bag is laying around near me.

I have never been to a LYS. I have never even been in a town that has one. :(

why do patterns for gloves, socks, etc..., say in the instructions - MAKE 2 (?) DUUUHHHHH!!!!:think

:rofl The same people who put the instructions on shampoo bottles

:rofl The same people who put the instructions on shampoo bottles
Some instructions scare the crap out of me, like some of those warning lables, especially "For External Use ONLY." You know somoene did SOMETHING in order for that label to get there. And odds are, it's a famous legend that is still talked about (or an X-ray to prove it) in a hospital Emergency Room somewhere...

I collect old doilies from antique stores and I get irritated when they sell for 50 cents....all the work that went into it! My family has joined my cause and they rescue doilies for me

I love this thread, and this is my favorite one! I don't really understand what useful purpose doilies serve (gasp!) BUT after reading this post - it doesn't matter because she is right!

The workmanship and love and hours that went into it are whats important. I am moved to start my own "doilie rescue"! :manyheart

I crochet in public and apparently I - hold the hook incorrectly, knot the thread the wrong way and I'm reading the pattern wrong. :angry But I'm happy with what I'm making, the people receiving my gifts seem very pleased, so I'm just going to continue with all my evil ways and have fun.:yay

I don't get why afghans are called afghans, I just call them blankets.

I love acrylic yarns because they are cruelty free.

I hate cozies for random things, there are better things to do than to cover your toilet paper and toaster with something that took effort.

I like putting fun fur on hats and scarves, i don't see why the why not to crochet person hates it so much, granted there are things not to put it on.

I hate giant hooks, anything bigger than a L is ridiculous, as well as the thick yarn that you're supposed to use it with. People that like making projects with big hooks for instant gratification aren't true crocheters :|

I love offbeat crochet like Patricia Waller's stuff. It's a pet peeve of mine when people think crochet is just for clothing or accessories or afghans. It's a great medium for making yarn sculptures and art!

I hate that the models in yarn magazines don't look like someone who even knows what crochet might be.

those are what i can think of right now.

People that like making projects with big hooks for instant gratification aren't true crocheters :|

While i realize that everyone's entitled to their opinion, it's remarks like this that really gripe me, because it's a complete and outright insult.:thumbdown To assume it's for "instant gratification" is too much of a sweeping judgment. My grandmother went from doilies to Q hooks due to arthritis, had nothing to do with instant gratification, it had everything to do with doing something she loved in a comfortable fashion.

So much for the unity :rolleyes:

Oi, sorry, i didn't mean it harsh like that. I was thinking of this one girl at school.

Just like people that only do that. I mean, I know I probably won't be able to make doilies and other small detailed stuff wehn I'm older, and people have to start somewhere so they might find it easier to learn with big stuff like that.

ugh, sorry, i'm just very blunt when I say things,

"I love acrylic yarns because they are cruelty free."

I'm sorry but this just annoys me...I'm so tired of people trying to make me feel guilty because I use wool or silk or whatever from some animal...I absolutely depise this term "cruelty free" bandied about. Yes, I use acrylics too, I use cotton, and yes, I also use wool...it is not cruel to shear an animal...

I would also get my hackles up if anyone were to imply to me that I wasn't a "true crocheter" regardless of what I was making...if you have an instrument and it's got a hook at the end and you're drawing yarn or string or rope through with it to make crochet stitch, size does not matter...it's still crocheting...and the person doing it is still a crocheter.

Yeah, sure there seems to be a lot of projects for "instant gratification..." Sometimes I do those as well as some "experienced" pattern that might take me longer than a day to do...

i was just sharing my thoughts.

i love acrylics because they are cruelty free, there's no crime in me saying that. I don't see why you ladies have to go and get all ruffled up on my opinion. there's some people that don't like acrylics, and i don't go and try to convince them that they're good.

I don't get all offended when someone says there's no point in free form crochet (i'm sure i saw at least 2 people say this) or when people say "what a waste of yarn." Although if i'm mentioning it now, it probably does bother me.

I'm sorry but this just annoys me...I'm so tired of people trying to make me feel guilty because I use wool or silk or whatever from some animal...I absolutely depise this term "cruelty free" bandied about. Yes, I use acrylics too, I use cotton, and yes, I also use wool...it is not cruel to shear an animal...

You're taking my comment way too personal. I was definitely not trying to make anyone guilty. Like I said before, just sharing my opinion! I've used wool before too, I'm not some kinds of yarn nazi, geez. Just stating my preference like how others have said they loathe using acrylics.

Again, this is not trying to make anyone feel guilty, it is not cruel to shear an animal, no, but in commercial use of wool, they aren't very careful when they shear sheep, and they often end up wounded, hence why many animal rights advocates avoid wool products. Look it up.

More of mine: I will use ANY yarn! Know what? Wool and cotton are "greener" than milk and corn fibers, but wool lovers are called cruel? Huh? No comprendo. :bang

I never called wool lovers cruel, just acrylic yarns cruelty free.

Tal vez por eso no comprendias ;)

I never called wool lovers cruel, just acrylic yarns cruelty free.

Tal vez por eso no comprendias ;)

No dice que USTED dice que los amantes de las lanas son crueles! :lol

But I HAVE seen other "green" and PETA types say so, and it irritates me to NO END! :lol

:hug

Preception's in the eye of the beholder.

So is opinion, to a point.

I have no interest in doing doilies, bed dolls, freeform, etc. as stated in my prior posts on this thread. I admire them, think they're artistic and such, and no my bag, however, my opinion of them has no bearing on the person's or persons' ability or artistic/crafting title/label, whether someone's a true crocheter or not. It's not for me to decide or for me to judge. If i did so, i'd be adding to the numerous misunderstandings and/or ignorances that already exist where crocheting is concerned. However, it really bothers me that people can look at someone else's work, and think that if it doesn't conform to their own personal standards of what a particular craft should consist of, then it's not worthy, so to speak.

That being said, i think i'm very much done on this one.

I have the Debbie Stoller SnB crochet book - don't like most of it. :(

I never block

I rarely do gauge in crocheting (afghans are lenient).

I love acrylic

I agree, I hate the phrases, "...not your grandmother's, mother's (fill in the blank) crochet..."

I never took photos of my completed projects. I regret that.

I do not crochet blankets for charity any longer. I leave it to others to pick up the banner. I make smaller things and donate directly to the hospital.

I do not crochet for others outside my immediate family, fellow crafters and swaps. You want a blanket for your dog, buy one.

I do not make crocheted clothing. It just doesn't have any give. I am willing to be proven wrong.

After this year, I will no longer make baby gifts.

AFGHANS NOT CALLED BLANKETS:

It is not as critical as it was in the past, but afghans are not blankets in the sense of a quilt or a felted wool blanket.

"The American language is filled with words from other countries, and this is true for the word "afghans," meaning a woven/knitted/crocheted blanket featuring geometric shapes (such as squares/rectangles)."

Quote from ~Dee Stanziano

CYCA Certified Crochet Teacher

haha pues fue un poco implicado :/

Ugh, PETA gives animal lovers a bad name. They're evil, don't listen to them, they're REALLY BIASED heh.

Si, era confusado. Lo siento mucho! No intento ofender! :hug

I don't listen to them. :P Besides, I am a critter lover myself, but I can be without going overboard. :manyheart

Si, era confusado. Lo siento mucho! No intento ofender! :hug

I don't listen to them. :P Besides, I am a critter lover myself, but I can be without going overboard. :manyheart

gracias! :hug

I love this thread as it gets my "blood" a working first thing out of the chute. (...laughing...). Talk about a diverse group of "crochet fanatics". Until I started following this topic, I guess I never really had a feel for how passionate crocheters are. YAY.......hook addicts.

Here's just a few of my "attitudes" that have been altered after reading posts on Crochetville.

Never used to use anything but acrylic and often felt the need to DEFEND that choice....now I am always on the lookout for new and interesting fibers to try out and maybe even use WITH my favored "acrylics".

Hated large hooks....couldn't get the project to turn out right. With suggestions from this site, I've learned how to use more than a single strand or bulky yarns or mix and matching of yarns to make lovely and "foofy" items on BIG hooks. Totally relish the side benefit of a FAST workup project, too.

Used to always swatch....then switched to NEVER swatch....now I have a happy medium by learning that some projects really don't need to swatch.

I used to be embarrassed by how I held the hook....it never matched anyone else's method. Hey, you guys taught me that it doesn't matter as long as it works for me....uh huh, uh huh, uh huh!!!!!!

I'm still working on feeling that my work is as good as everyone else's. Over the last couple of years all the hints, comments and support I've gained here have urged me to try new and more difficult patterns as well as test the waters in the "selling" department. It's been slow going (especially in this economy) but I feel so good to at least have given it a try.

See, you guys have spoiled me for ever saying "I just can't do that". 'cause.....hey.....maybe I can!!!!!!

Love ya and keep on sharing your opinions and thoughts.

Archived