Crocheting Heresies

Just found this thread. probably noone will read my posting but I just must add my 2 cents worth.

1. I like all kinds of yarns except fun fur. 2. I will not buy $33 an ounce yarn even if it is hand sheared, carded, spun & dyed.

3. I don't do knots.

4. I hate it when people ask me what I'm "knitting". When I tell them it is crocheting, not knitting they act as if I'm the rude one.

5. I don't like & won't use plastic hooks. I will use plastic knitting needles.

6. I like to knit & crochet.

7. I've got a faily good stash of needles & yarns. Patterns too.

8. I don't like snobs of any kind.

9. I don't see using cotton yarns to crochet or knit dishcloths when kitchen twine (or kite string) works just as well. I've even cut rags into strips & made that into dishcloths. Used those things to practice st. & techniques on as well.

10. If it looks like a string or can be made into a string, I will crochet, knit or weave it.

11. I still make & use doilies & anti-macassars. If others don't like them, that's ok.

12. I use & like my Q crochet hook & my speed stix (sz.50 knitting needles) They're great for blankets & afghans.

13. I crochet slippers & put hot glue dots on the bottom to prevent slips & falls.

14. There are some items just not worth making but I save the patterns for someone else who might like the article.

15.I usually have 1 crochet, 1 knit & 2 or 3 sewing WIPs at once. Also an embroidery project.

16. I never get upset if I give someone something I've made & they regift it tosomeone who really likes it. At least my project isn't hidden away to rot.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It drives me nuts when people put down other people's work in a mean way. Not just "knitting vs. crocheting" but fiber snobs, and project snobs.

Me too. :angry And i think the ones who anger me the most are the ones who seem to think that because something doesn't look crocheted to them, then it's just not crochet, which is in essence saying that they don't think someone's work is good enough to be called crochet.:angry It's not my place to judge. If you made it with a hook, it's crochet.

Just found this thread. probably noone will read my posting but I just must add my 2 cents worth.

I read it. :hug

Glad to see I'm not the only grammar freak...

I'm not a grammar or spelling freak however some bugs me, too. Goodness knows I don't always get it right, especially if I'm in a hurry. That goes for my spelling, too. Yahoo will correct the spelling if you're close and so does word. We even have spell check here. I do try most of the time. lol

Yarn is tax exempt in MA, I found that out last week when I was trying to use my tax free card from work and the register wouldnt take it. Since everything was already tax exempt there was no need to take the card...smart register.

Time for a road trip to MA for me. I camp in Northern CT, not far from the MA border & it might just well be worth the trip, if I have a big purchase planned. Thanks for the info :)

13. I crochet slippers & put hot glue dots on the bottom to prevent slips & falls.

14. There are some items just not worth making but I save the patterns for someone else who might like the article.

15.I usually have 1 crochet, 1 knit & 2 or 3 sewing WIPs at once. Also an embroidery project.

16. I never get upset if I give someone something I've made & they regift it tosomeone who really likes it. At least my project isn't hidden away to rot.

I read it, and I am very impressed. Not that my opinion means that much, :lol. I am very happy about your solution to make slippers non-slip, Thank You.

I save patterns to share with my daughter, we are craft buddies.

I also have many WIP going at once. it is so nice when one starts to get to you, to be able to switch to an other medium in the textile arts.

Congratulations to you for #16. It is very hard to rise above the hurt of not having your art appreciated by the person you meant it for. But you are right, at least it is being used somewhere by someone.

So, here I go!

I'm a yarn addict! Fortunately, I've never had RHSS be really horribly rough, especially after a washing with liquid softener. However, I found an LYS and now....I haunt her 50% bin for the stuff I could never otherwise afford.

I am not a fan of crocheting fun furs; can't find my stitches! I will use it double stranded with an acrylic, though. It looks cool to me! And I'll knit it, but only for a scarf or simple shawl.

I don't like to make thread doilies. I do like using a ribbon yarn with cotton thread to make them.

I wouldn't use a white/ecru doily, but I love ones that are colored, or black.

Cozies are not my thing, but I'm still looking at them when I see them, because I like the crafting, hehe. No disembodied heads, though! ::shudders::

Felting is not for me; its for people who can afford to use that much wool! That being said, some of it is lovely!

I hate pastels. Ick.

I prefer longer hooks, and will try a wooden one...as soon as I can!! :hook

I do not have a type preference. Bates, Boye...its all good.

No more small plastic hooks!!! They seem to break if you breathe on them!

I, too, have many many WIP's. Keeps me from being bored with one.

I guess I like needlework in general. Crochet is quickest, knitting makes some really cool things (like intarsia...but too much for my patience right now), embroidery is a lovely accent, cross-stitch is very interesting. I want to learn: crewel, tatting..maybe..., possibly jewelry making? :think

Patterns are fun to collect...even if you never use them! (Dh thinks otherwise, but he collects coins!!)

Ok, for now...that's it! I may be back!

I do my foundation row into the chain completely wrong -- I just pick up one loop from the side of the foundation chain and don't even try to go into the two loops that look like the normal top of a stitch on a regular row. If I want a lacier edge, I pick up one of the sides and the "bump" on the bottom, but I never go exactly into the "top" of the chain because it's a complete and total pain for me. This has never caused me a problem; no none has ever complained that the edge is wrong (though I've never given anything to another crocheter, but that's because I don't know any).

Similarly, I am completely unable to keep track of the RS and WS of items and I've never been able to tell the difference in the finished item. That one may just be luck, patterns, and clueless giftees, but there it is.

--Elissa

:lol :lol :lol

Okay, so I'm a Johnny Come Lately but here goes...

I like my crocheted items to have some body instead of being soft and floppy, therefore, I like acrylic and cotton.:D

Ditto on the Crochetme website.:yes

There are too many patterns out there using big bulky yarn for garments. This doesn't flatter anybody's shape. :yarn

Ditto on the granny squares and all motifs in general!:P

Dolies terrify me. Seriously. The phobia dates back to 1978, my great-grandmother and her passion for thread crochet. Every inch of her home was covered in doilies and God help you if you ever moved one of them!! She would scream "It's off center, it's off center, it's off center!" over and over till you corrected your grevious error. I believe she may have even crocheted a car cover for their 1975 Cadillac.

I do like RHSS BUT Caron is growing on me more and more. Funny thing though, when Caron first became availible in my area I resisted buying it beliving RH to be a superior yarn. I just may have been wrong about that! Recently at Joann's I found a 'pounder' by Caron in a beautiful soft, creamy yellow that I adore.

Fun Fur? You're kidding, right? There is nothing 'fun' about this fur. Terrible to stitch with, has no give what so ever and the fur part seems to always coat my clothes, my furniture..heck my HOME! Product of the the :devil . No question about it.

I have never once swatched.

What's the deal with the crochet me site? I saw it and left. Was there ever a big deal made about the site?

I have, however, fallen in love with a site called Drops Designs, but I have found that I have to be very careful as some of the patterns are in British english. (can be found here http://www.garnstudio.com/index_lang.php type in free patterns for more info)

:hook

Jen

I do my foundation row into the chain completely wrong -- I just pick up one loop from the side of the foundation chain and don't even try to go into the two loops that look like the normal top of a stitch on a regular row. If I want a lacier edge, I pick up one of the sides and the "bump" on the bottom, but I never go exactly into the "top" of the chain because it's a complete and total pain for me. This has never caused me a problem; no none has ever complained that the edge is wrong (though I've never given anything to another crocheter, but that's because I don't know any).

--Elissa

What you describe is what I've seen recommended if you want a sturdy foundation edge that needs no special edge finish to strengthen it. Can't remember where I read it, but it was in one of my many crochet books. Haven't tried it myself yet, but intend to sometime.

Beverly

Similarly, I am completely unable to keep track of the RS and WS of items and I've never been able to tell the difference in the finished item. That one may just be luck, patterns, and clueless giftees, but there it is.

--Elissa

you dont do the foundation row wrong. That's how I do it too.

I dont think there's a wrong way to start the foundation row. Unless you miss stitches, or add too many to a chain.

"I have crocheting ADD - I jump from project to project until I have 5 or 6 (sometimes more) unfinished projects sitting by my chair. I have had to start hiding them because my Husband will really give me a hard time about it!"

ROFL!!!! I laughed so hard at this one... :D Me too.

I rewrite EVERY SINGLE pattern to suit my purpose. I don't think I've ever followed a pattern without changing something about it. Is this a side-effect of not knowing how to read a pattern for the first 5 years of my life as a crocheter?

I HATE Red Heart acrylic because it's so scratchy! But I use it anyway if I can't get any Caron Simply Soft in the right color.

I don't mix my yarn brands. I can tell by the feel it's a different brand and I'm paranoid someone else might notice in the finished product.

The sound of RH acrylic yarn on an aluminum hook is like fingernails on a chalkboard!

I detest nearly all novelty yarns. The price of one skein would feed my whole family dinner. Possibly lunch too.

I never swatch for guage. The only time I ever swatch is to learn a new stitch pattern because I'm too excited to wait until I get to that part of the written pattern to try it out.

I think crochet sweaters look like burlap sacks.

As someone else mentioned, I SO don't get or like "free form." And why do they who make an "artistic" mess of their crochet project get to call it free form? Isn't it technically free-form when the rest of us make anything without the use of a written pattern? If you look it up in the dictionary free-form simply means spontaneously made up as you go along, without the use of a pattern. It doesn't have to be bizarre or complicated or funky-shaped, just made up as you go. So why do those who make so-called "free-form" crochet items get a monopoly on that word? All of us who are creative in the art of making up a pattern as we go along should have the right to use that word as it was originally intended to be used!!! To me it's like the "punk" movement. When Punk became a style it lost it's essence of being truly punk. And when Free-Form became a style, it really isn't necessarily free-form anymore. Especially when they make a pattern out of it!!!!

I never ever ever block. IMO if it needs blocked, then I didn't do it right in the first place!

I never knew there was a knitting vs. crochet rivalry. Is that just a rumor someone started to create a rivalry? I don't like crochet better because I think it's cooler or better than knitting. I like it better because it's faster, easier, and I am really good at it. I'm not good at too many things but I'm REALLY good at crochet after doing it for 17 years. If I'd been knitting for longer than I've been crocheting I imagine I might be on the flip side. I just feel like I can be creative and alter whatever I need to with crochet. I can change things up as I go along. I can't do that with knitting.

I usually don't pay any attention to what type of yarn or thread a pattern calls for- I use what I have a feeling will make an appealing finished product with no regard for the supposed requirements.

I have no idea what brands my hooks are. Some are so old they don't even have a size on them anymore because it wore off. All I care about is that the hook is hook-ey enough to pull the yarn through the loop.

I hate hate hate when people call knit things "crocheted" and call crocheted things "knitted." Or worse, call factory machine woven things knitted or crocheted!!!!!! Like when I go on eBay and search for "crochet" and half the things that come up that say they are crocheted are knitted or woven. DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!

And finally (don't hate me or gasp and die of shock and horror...) I REUSE YARN!!! I literally undo old finished used projects and use the yarn for something new. Hey, when you can't afford yarn you'll do pretty much anything to get your crochet fix!

I love redheart - have never had a problem with the yarn becoming soft. Honestly its what i can afford.

Never check my guage.

Dont usually use granny squares but...... have recently made two very large multi colored grannys for over my table and the other a baby blanket. Both turned out beautiful.

Always change the pattern to fit my mood and the needle as well.

After making mittens for four years for my daughters dance team I can say that i will never make them again.

Have the SnB book but have never made anything out of it and probably wont. However, it has given me ideas for other projects.

I never understood why people are crocheting swim suits. They are not pretty and would it not stretch when it gets wet and fall off?

Considering how expensive bathing suit are nowadays, I don't blame people for trying...

--Elissa

Don't worry - you are normal! I keep track of RS and WS by the unworked yarn tail. I'm a leftie, so if my yarn tail is on the right, that's the RS.

I never understood why people are crocheting swim suits. They are not pretty and would it not stretch when it gets wet and fall off?

I've seen instructions that specifically called them "sunbathing suits" and advised not getting in the water...

I have crocheted one. I can't remember the yarn, but it had some elastic or something in the fiber, so it retained shape better. If you line them with swimsuit fabric, you can head to the beach, no problem!

This is a great thread!

Okay, here's mine, in no particular order-

I never tie knots, and leave 12 to 18 inches of yarn at the start and end of any project.

I will join yarn in the middle of a row and leave 12 to 18 inches of of yarn. The backs of my projects are really interesting!

I will not weave in ends until the end of the an entire pattern. If I see a mistake, no matter how far back, I will frog and redo that piece.

I loved Interweave Crochet until the change of editors. Now I will only buy it if I have a coupon from JoAnns. I did get the last issure with a 50% off coupon, and nothing in it interests me at all, and I love to crochet sweaters! Now why did I buy that?!

I love Red Heart and Caron. And Bernat too. And most of those yarns at JoAnns, but not anything too furry or fuzzy.

I'm allergic to wool, lanolin, mutton and the sheep they rode in on.

I'm also allergic to metals, I only use plastic hooks. Lion Brand is my favorite, but the newest Clover hooks are a close second. I own a complete set of Brittneys, but don't use them often.

I also don't like any hook with a finger rest, I only like the straight hooks.

I will and have crocheted almost everything. Even a clown doll years and years ago!

I'm done with doilies. Though I have my mother's old books, and I have crocheted doilies, I don't want to ever do that again. I think they're dustcatchers.

My 27 year old daughter wants a doily for her end table! I'll crochet it, but it will be with at least two strands of Lustersheen and a larger hook.

I don't block. Ditto, felting. I do gauge swatches now and then, but most of the time, no.

For any pattern, I will go up at least one size, more likely two or three sizes in hooks.

I'm not impressed with Crochet Me either. The S & B book is okay, but not any better than all the others I've bought through the years.

My most prized possesions are my James Walters and Sylvia Cosh books. I'm only missing one, of course that one is the most expensive! I bought them all as they were published except for The Crochet Workshop. Someday I will find that one at a reasonable price.

Oh, and I hold my hook like a knife, or as my mother told me, like I'm digging a hole with a shovel!

I'm sure there are more, these are more than enough for now!

I had a crochet bikini back in the late 70's when I was in my late teens. I loved it - it was my favorite suit. Of course, I had a figure that could handle something like that then - gravity held no fear for me, suntans were considered healthy and who went to the pool to swim anyway?

here are my heresies:

I never check gauge and never swatch

I never block and don't have any interest in doing so

I tie knots as well and only weave in ends after the project is completed

I think crochet lingerie and underwear are gross and look cheap

I dislike granny squares with a passion

I hate fun fur and think it should all be destroyed.

I always make changes to a pattern and almost never use the suggested yarn

I like RHSS for afghans and other things

I love my Boyle hooks and have 2 in every size

I can't use thread or any hook smaller than a G because they make my hand cramp

I love free patterns and will almost always use a free pattern instead of buying one.

I will only buy crochet books if there are more than a couple of patterns that I would love to make, otherwise I try and find a free version.

I love vintage patterns and making modern changes to them.

That may be! Why I love those books, is that James and Sylvia opened a whole new world of crochet for me. Not that I even necessarily love everything they crocheted either. But they gave me the courage to branch out and explore crochet.

Growing up on a farm in east central WI, the crochet I saw around me was all thread and almost all doilies. Though my mother crocheted a thread pineapple dress for me when I was a year old. I still have that dress!

First yarn became more available to all of us in the boonies in the 60s, and my mother dropped all those crochet doilies and began crocheting afghans from yarn she could buy at the local variety store.

I didn't learn to crochet until the early 70s. My first project was an afghan, the 2nd a vest. There was an explosion of patterns in the late 60s and 70s. Crochet magazines could be bought at any variety, drug and grocery store. Many, many more than are available today. For me, it was a magic moment to find a Walters/Cosh book for sale in a drugstore in a tiny town of 300 people! Then I realized I could crochet anything I wanted to crochet with whatever I could find, plastic bags, string, fishing line, whatever!

Life has not been the same since. I was 'hooked' permanently from then on!

Archived