Crocheting Heresies

Ok, I can't resist this thread:

I love cotton and wool yarns, and I love thread. Love doilies. They're works of art.

Like felting.

Got over fun fur long ago; now I don't want to see it ever again.

I hate Homespun. It's impossible to work with, I don't care what size hook I use, and, after it's washed, it looks like a dog with mange. And if that weren't bad enough, each skein looks like it has three different dye lots.

The last time I used RH, it actually cut up my hands. I'll never believe that you could soften that stuff with a _bucket_ of fabric softener.

I don't like to use pastels for baby clothes, but I do because I give away tons of baby hats and sweaters to charity, and that's what they prefer. Otherwise, if it's for a baby I "know," I use other colors. Speaking of baby clothes -- and this is probably my biggest personal heresy -- I really do not like those little crocheted pink frou-frou outfits for little baby girls. They just make my skin crawl.

I've never understood the attraction of TP covers, bed dolls, those doll masks, Annie's Attic anything, towel toppers and cozies.

I was so discouraged when I saw the last issue of Interweave Crochet. That mag was the best crochet mag out there at one time. I hope it bounces back.

I like a lot of patterns in Happy Hooker, but, as a book editor, am appalled that there are something like 30 mistakes in that book. Where were the editors? The professional pattern testers?

Love vintage patterns from 1920's thru 1950's. Love the patterns at Garnstudio/Drops Design.

I think some freeform is very cool.

I don't think I'll ever make another afghan. Too daunting. And I don't need another trigger for my hot flashes!

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to wonder about the RH you guys are using. I've never had it wreak havoc on my skin, and I have really dry skin! And all my stuff does end up really soft after it's washed. I guess I'm lucky...:think

I'm starting to wonder about the RH you guys are using. I've never had it wreak havoc on my skin, and I have really dry skin! And all my stuff does end up really soft after it's washed. I guess I'm lucky...:think

Me too...This is all I use and I love it. I just made a tote, scarves...etc. I wash with the reg amount of softener and dry and I think they turn out so soft. Actually I have had more "yarn burn" with the cotton I am using. This is the first time using anything other than acrylic and now I have a blister. Actually when it hurst too bad I do my RH projects.

thank you Ellie 13 I'll have to remember that... I wish I had heard that sooner... My skeins were in a mesh bag but I ended up with "clown wigs" luckily I got them all detangled, rolled and put in order..

Me too...This is all I use and I love it. I just made a tote, scarves...etc. I wash with the reg amount of softener and dry and I think they turn out so soft. Actually I have had more "yarn burn" with the cotton I am using. This is the first time using anything other than acrylic and now I have a blister. Actually when it hurst too bad I do my RH projects.

Maybe it's an area specific thing? Because everyone I know in my area avoids the stuff like a plague.

Maybe it's an area specific thing? Because everyone I know in my area avoids the stuff like a plague.

Does anybody know if RH has different makers in different regions? I was going to say maybe it's humidity levels in the area (I live in steamy Galveston County, Texas) but SC is pretty humid, too.

Maybe, because it's the same here. My crochet group doesn't buy RH anymore, and, trust me, they're not LYS shoppers. I swear, the last time I used RH, it cut my fingers. (DH is my witness, and he felt it, too.) I was making a little Chicago Bears hat for our grandson, whose father is a huge Patriots fan (gag gift, so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it; hence, RH.) But even my DH said to throw it out and go buy anything else, because "his" grandson was not going to wear anything that scratchy!

Ooohhhh my turn, my turn:

I never check my guage, ugh!;

I knot, it's compulsive, mmm OCD I think . . . . . ;

I weave in as I go for the most part;

I hate tunisen with a passion, I do it, but I hate it;

I knit also, but I prefer crochet, I feel more creative when I crochet, LOL!;

I like to felt and I am pretty good at it;

I like thread crochet as much as yarn, but I hate filet. My thread obsession right now is table runners!;

I only use Red Heart SS for rugs, yes, my name is Dragonfli and I am a yarn snob! Actually, when I started Crocheting, I used Red Heart SS for everything because it is what I could afford. Then I noticed that no-one ever wore the scarves & hats I made or used the afghans. One day I made a comment about it and a very good friend said, "you know everything you make is so tailored and lovely, but so itchy and drying to the skin, even after repeated washings with lots of Downey". From that point forward I decided that it was a waste of money to make things no-one would ever use and that is when I started turning to the dark side and become a yarn snob . . . . . However, I do love the RH Soft Yarn, love the feel, love the luster, love the colors, love it, love it, love it!!;

Fun fur has it's purpose, I don't know what it is, but I am sure that it does have one . . . . . .;

I am not impressed with HHS&BN, there are far to many typos and pattern errors and the book is simply not appropriate for anyone under the age of 18. My daughter is 9 and has been crocheting since she was 7. She looked in the book once for help with a stitch and came back to me asking about a phrase it the book that was totally inappropriate. I got it for a gift and really hadn't read it until that moment. I thought good grief it is a crochet book, how bad could it be, well . . . . . it was immediately deposited in the circular filing system . . . yup garbage!;

I like all Lion Brand yarn, some of it is difficult to work with, but I have discovered many difficult things in my lifetime, which I have had to overcome, so I have become a firm believer in "what doesn't kill me, makes me stronger or makes me go insane", LOL!;

I have to have a hord of yarn at all times, and if I make an afghan, I must replace the yarn immediately (again the OCD) lol! I buy yarn I like without a project in mind, but with the thought "I know I will make something lovely with this";

I always buy more yarn than I need and more than the pattern calls for (again OCD!!). I don't worry about the excess, because I have made and seen some of the most beautiful scrapghans! I always tell myself I am saving for a scrapghan, LOL!;

I only do one project at a time, yes, I know . . . OCD. . . .;

What is Crochet Me?;

I don't like TP Holders (who uses those?) TP dolls, soap socks (YUK), towel toppers, bed dolls . . . If I am crocheting for the bath it is detailed rugs and contour rugs, simple but elegant TL covers, custom wash cloths for visiting friends and family to take with them when they go . . . .;

I never block (I just feel, it is what it is and whoever gets it isn't going to block after each washing, so . . . . );

I always make sure I will use 3/4 of the patterns in the book. If I won't use at least 3/4 of the patterns in the book, I don't buy the book! Again, I think it may be the OCD, lol!;

Huummm, I think that's it:) !

LOL!!!! I was also not impressed with the SNB book!!! And i've never gotten what the big deal about crochetme is about!!!!! I'm glad i'm not alone in this!

I also NEVER check my gauge

I can't stand doilies.

I hate red heart yarn. (even though i use it sometimes)

I saw the website for ravelry and it looks like another crochetme thing.

Nathalie

i dont follow the crochet rules either.

i do tie knots and work ends in as I go.

i dont check my gage.

i use the hook i want to not the one they say to.

i dont block.

i dont care for supper saver that much.

i love to crochet so much i continue to do it even though im allergic to the acrylic in the yarn and my arms break out in hives.

i never use the colors or the yarn they tell you to use. some of the colors are really ugly.

by the way im new here. hello everyone.

Forgot one more heresy:

Using the word that rhymes with stitch in the title of a book. When my kids were in school, the would have been sent to the office for saying the book's title. I do not find it amusing.

Forgot one more heresy:

Using the word that rhymes with stitch in the title of a book. When my kids were in school, the would have been sent to the office for saying the book's title. I do not find it amusing.

I am so with you on this one! I won't even offer to help people (in crochet help) with a problem from it.

I don't get freeform at all.

I can't bring myself to do any filet crochet.

I use knots frequently.

I rarely check my gauge.

I almost never block anything, unless it really, really needs it.

Does anybody know if RH has different makers in different regions? I was going to say maybe it's humidity levels in the area (I live in steamy Galveston County, Texas) but SC is pretty humid, too.

I live in Atlanta, it's pretty humid here. I'm wonderng if it's a change in how it's made.

I used to use Red Heart for years because nothing else was available to me and there wasn't an internet nor did I catalog shop. It was pretty soft and as mentioned softened even more in the wash.

I still use it occasionally for things and still had no problem.

Until a couple of weeks ago. I bought one skein of dark green. It didn't hurt my hands but it sure had a rough texture. It actually worked for what I made but no way would I make a scarf or hat with that.

I never really check gauge. I measure and do the math in my head, but I've never done a swatch before starting a project.

I've never blocked anything, but I would if I felt like it.

I felted a wool sweater once for a sewing project, but I've never felted a piece I've made.

i'm not that fond of granny squares. It was the first thing I learned and haven't felt the need to go back to them.

I like to crochet and knit equally and love to try new things. The only thing I have a preference for though is the way a finished knit looks as opposed to crochet. I just like the shape/look of knitting better for most things.

I have nothing against acrylic yarn, but I would prefer to use something natural and breathable.

I hate the feel of certain cotton yarns. I have a thing about that, I hate the feel of certain sheets and fabrics.

I don't know what a frog is lol.

I don't tie knots. I weave in ends at the end.

I don't have a hook brand preference.

I was disappointed when I saw Vanna's yarn was acrylic. I was hoping to see an affordable wool or wool blend.

I wish it were easier to find simple patterns, like hats for men or whatnot. It takes too much time to find the pattern.

I look at a lot of patterns and save them, but never get around to making them.

I try not to buy yarn unless it has a purpose. I have the same rule for all craft supplies. Can't promise I stick to it though.

I don't like the ordinary pink and baby blue for baby items or anything really. I just made my nephew a blanket in cottage blue, which I thought was a sophisticated alternative to baby blue. Some people thought it was an odd choice, but I love how it turned out.

I've never worked with two colors at once before. Hiding where they mix seems difficult to me.

I just discovered that round ripples exist and think they're cute. I want to make one that looks like a sunburst.

I'm still fairly new to crocheting even though I've known how to do it most of my life. I'm always looking for new projects to try out.

That fun fur stuff usually looks tacky unless it's for a little girl.

I borrow a lot of knitting/crochet books from the library and many times they include the brand of yarn to use. If I want to crochet myself a top and it takes 10 skeins of some expensive yarn, the top is going to cost me at least $60. I never spend that much in the store and it's just too much to spend at once on one item. Yarn in general (besides acrylic) is too expensive. Larger projects become impossible to do because of the cost.

I am obsessed with handbags. Usually I buy them, but I plan on knitting/crocheting sooo many.

Those severed head earmuffs are super creepy.

I don't see the point of a TP cozy. The roll in use is on the roll and the rest are probably under the cabinet. Do some people just leave the TP on the counter? I don't understand why... that's just time consuming and inconvenient.

Doilies are nice, but I don't decorate with them. I might give one as a gift. I made a very small one once and may try it again some day.

Crocheted underwear is going way too far... lol!

:eek I NEVER make a tension swatch.

:think I ALWAYS tie knots when I need to and have NEVER had anything come undone, ever.

:eek I very seldom use a pattern.

:think I ALWAYS use whatever yarn I want to and work out the pattern to suit.

:eek I GREATLY DISLIKE some pattern writing styles.

:think I NEVER block my work, ever.

:eek I NEVER count stitches after the first row.

:think I NEVER use the Magic Ring to start my work, ALWAYS use a CH loop.

:cheer I LOVE to KNIT.

:cheer I have been crocheting for 50 squillion years now so I keep to simple and discard the complicated.

Life is too short to spend hours agonising over reading a complicated pattern so if I cant work it out quickly, just by looking at the picture, I leave it alone and move on to something I know.

I am a great believer in the KISS method.

"Keep it simple Susie"

(I dont like the word Stupid)

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived