Crocheting Heresies

Pam, you have created one of the most fun threads I have seen. I have not enjoyed reading a forum as much as I have while reading this thread.

Yeah, I know, I have input on this thread twice, and I talk too much. But I just had to say Thank You, this is great.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*shrug* My TP is in the cabinet. I don't make it little hats to wear.

They did one on Knitty Gritty - it was in the shape of a sushi roll :( . I thought it was repulsive. Who wants a food item in the bathroom? Some of us actually like sushi.

Now I find that repulsive!!!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

This is great, pulling all of our little secrets out of the closet. So here's mine.

I don't think I like wool. I've never crocheted with it but I've hated every real wool sweater I've ever owned. (except cashmere) I would like to try felting though.

I tie knots, but leave long ends to weave in.

I hate summer baby clothes made with acrylic yarn. Even baby weight acrylic. Summer clothes need cotton. Adult clothing too for that matter.

I use "kitchen cotton" for clothing. I think it is soft. I think RHSS is not!

I hate it when a pattern just gives the name of a yarn and not the weight because I know I will want to substitute and I don't want to have to go searching to find out what kind of yarn it is.

I don't really like most crocheted afghans.

I really don't like any home decor done in ww acrylic. Especially dolls and tp covers that look like dolls. It drives me nuts when I tell people I crochet and that is what they think I crochet!

I have to add one more, well this is more of a pet peeve, but when people have such a onesided view of crochet, like only blankets or only doiles so that when I say I crochet that's all they think I do. I mentioned to one friend that I crocheted and she said that she used to but then she quit because crocheted afghans collect so much dust and they were bad for her allergies! As if that's all there is to make!

Here goes:

I never swatch;

Love those 'fun' yarns, but only for straight knitting of scarves (there, I said it, I knit a little);

Use metal crochet hooks;

Love making squares, but usually they have to be interesting (i.e., difficult or out of the ordinary) use crochet hook to join them;

Never knot, but might start (now that I see how many of us do ;) ), usually weave in after I finish a square.

Usually get bored with Mile a Minute, but if I have 3-5 projects going at the same time, it doesn't matter;

deb

This thread is great fun to read. In a heretical spirit I have to say :

I prefer knitted sweaters to crocheted ones.

I do not understand the knitting vs. crochet feud.

I will never use pure wool, only acrylic.

I think felting is a form of destructive vandalism.

I do not regard patterns as sacred unless I am testing,

(and then I drive the designers mad with my innumerable comments ). The rest of the time I just take what I want from a pattern.

I make yarn items in thread, and vice versa.

Swatching and blocking have their uses, but by no means to the extent indicated by patterns.

I have never seen the Happy Hooker book, but judging by the many pics of the patterns I have seen, the only ones I find interesting are the fat bottom bag, and the stitch for the short and sweet bolero, and I did both without the book.

I absolutely hate working with Caron Wintuk-it is horribly coarse and could almost stand up on its own.

Filet gives me headaches.

Novelty yarns don't do it for me.

afghan stitch bores me.

have to say I don't understand why I would go to so much trouble to crochet something and then felt it and matt the stitches together. If I wanted felt, I'd buy felt in the first place.

have to say I don't understand why I would go to so much trouble to crochet something and then felt it and matt the stitches together. If I wanted felt, I'd buy felt in the first place.

I'd be willing to felt this wool yarn I have that is horribly scratchy. Besides, if I bought felt, I'd have to sew it together! I can't sew worth anything!!

Let's see if I can do this.

I don't make swatches

I hate the pastel mint green that is so often called for in baby items. Seriously, it makes me want to gag.

I like plastic hooks

Ripple afghans? Never again. I'm working on my first and last one at the moment.

I too, don't get free form crochet.

I think that's it.

I really can't post on here because there is really nothing about crochet I dislike...except untangling the 4-6 skeins of yarn I had to throw into my washing machine because I spilled my cup of coffee on them..

I love doing thread and filet crochet

I often make graphghans using plastic canvas and cross stitch patterns

I do not do swatches

I use whatever yarn I have on hand for whatever project I'm doing..

I'm so thrilled that my topic is so popular!

I think the #1 Heresy seems to be not making a gauge swatch. I have to confess that I'm guilty of this, too. It all depends on the project. With knitting, I find it's more crucial because it's much harder to tell what size you're getting with the stitches all bunched up on a needle. With crocheting, you only have to lay the article out and measure it to get an idea if you're in the ball park or not--and it's not a big deal to frog it and start over.

This has been one of the funniest threads I've read. I keep coming back to see what else people have written. I think the original idea--what "crochet heresies" do you commit--is less applicable to crochet than to knitting. Knitting is a bit more "purist"--there do seem to be stronger "do's" and "don'ts" and taboos and "musts" (like swatching) connected with knitting, while crochet is more flexible, and runs the gamut from cozies for toilet paper (and everything else you own) to elegant lace tablecloths to wearables and toys and art and embellishment and jewelry. Oh, and purses, and blankets, and potholders...

Basically, crochet is much more flexible than knitting, and pretty much "anything goes," although this thread has certainly been entertaining to read as everyone airs their personal likes and dislikes. It was enlightening, too. I had no idea there were people who didn't like felting. :eek Or doilies. :eek :eek :eek

Just kidding. Don't stop.

I love this thread! lol

I hate it when people complain about lack of patterns but never write anything down.

I can't stand the "kniting vs crochet" argument. they are sister crafts both are awesome.

I crochet more than knit becasue I"m faster.

I love my aluminum hooks.

Caron SS is my yarn of choice.

Red heart is Evil unless it's the "soft" variety. It never softens instead it melts!

I hate granny squares.

I love blankets but have never made one (yet)

I can't stand it when people tell newbies to "start with a dishcloth, scarf, swatch" I started with a stuffed toy! So can you!

I hate patterns that assume I know what I'm doing. lol.

I used to think I couldn't crochet because I'm awful at math.

I love vintage patterns from the 70's (groovy crochet rules).

I love bulky sweaters.

HDC is my favorite stitch.

I don't get "free form Crochet".

If it's free form how can you sell the pattern? Isn't that an oxymoron?

I can't stand Fun fur. (though I have used it a few times.)

I love acrylic yarn. Cheep tons of colors and hold up well.

when I started to crochet someone asked if I was pregnant? What's up with crochet being for babies only?

I knot my two ends together then crochet over the tails.

What is the point of a toilet paper cozy? I want to know where the TP is when I run out.

I hate thread but long to make giant doilies.

I'm loving this thread -

I'm number 112 that does not swatch

I don't get free form either, but I like to look at it

I have no love for fun fur - it's not fun and it's not fur

I hate 2 strand crochet (I made a flannelghan and hated every moment of it!)

Any hook over a size k feels like I'm crocheting with a crayon!

I love granny squares, but hate to assemble them.

I don't get why granny squares have to be more than 1 color - I love simplicity - there is an elegance to it.

I tie knots then crochet over the ends.

I will only buy red heart super saver if it the only brand that has the color I want.

I don't get 70's crochet - I lived through the 70's and don't remember seeing anyone wearing any of that stuff.

Just because I made this outfit for my grandchild, does not obligate me to make it for yours (not aimed at anyone in particular - just a random observation to an all to frequent request)

I'd rather work with thread than yarn, but making an afghan in thread simply takes too long!!

I'll probably come up with more, but that's all I have time for now

I hate it when people complain about lack of patterns but never write anything down.

I'm guilty, I'm guilty, I'm guilty (not about complaining about lack of patterns, but for not writing down my own patterns...) I confess...I'm trying to do better...

I loved RHSS when it was 8 oz. and softer. I use Caron mostly or what I can get under $3. I tie knots, weave ends as I go and love squares/motifs. I crochet them together, no sewing. I don't swatch, check gauge, felt or even like wool. I create my own designs.

Ellie 13

I'll add these: I don't block, never have more than 2-3 WIPs, made 2 doilies but will never do it again. I love this place!!!:clap

Ellie 13

What's the purpose of a toliet paper cozy? You NEVER see a knitted one

. I've never crocheted a TP cover, but I have a knit one my mother made (rarely take the TP out of it, I get it from the cabinet - LOL).

Ellie 13

I really can't post on here because there is really nothing about crochet I dislike...except untangling the 4-6 skeins of yarn I had to throw into my washing machine because I spilled my cup of coffee on them..

I love doing thread and filet crochet

I often make graphghans using plastic canvas and cross stitch patterns

I do not do swatches

I use whatever yarn I have on hand for whatever project I'm doing..

If you have to wash a skein, stuff it in an old panty hose leg and tie it with scrap yarn. You can get 2-3 in like sausages (knee-highs work for 1 or a small skein). I read it in here somewhere, and it works great.

Ellie 13

Ohhhh, My turn:

I have tied knots.

I have more patterns/books than I will every use...and can't part with any them :D.

I have had to sneak crochet "stuff" into the house to avoid hearing, "Don't you have enough?".

I always have more than 3 projects going at once.

I NEVER promise a crocheted gift for a certain time/date because it then becomes a "chore" not something fun.

I hate using fun fur and all the fluffy yarns for crochet.

My yarn closet is bursting at the seams.......ALWAYS :hook

I can't possibly pass up crochet books/patterns at thrift stores....even if I'll never make them :blush

Marie

Archived