Crocheting Heresies

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never made a swatch in my life. (Been crocheting 16 years)

SNB Crochet is no big deal. Don't like the patterns.

Patterns need to be in Plus sizes more often.

I could have 1 million skeins of yarn and that would never be enough.

I buy books that I will never make anything from.

Magazines are saved just in case I need a pattern from 1990 or so.

Have probably 250 hooks and never the right one can be found when needed.

DH hates my addiction and lets me know every chance he gets.

Working hard this year on Stashbusting, but it's very hard to stay out of stores with sales.

If I don't crochet, I get very crabby. I NEED to crochet every day.

I don't have the patience for working with thread crochet. Those little hooks drive me nuts.

Round Ripples are pretty great. They work up pretty fast.

I hate granny squares. I don't like to weave in ends and sew or crochet things together.

I would give up housework if I could just crochet every day, all day. :D

I do love the 'Ville so we can all communicate our ideas, projects, and many other things, crochet, and beyond.

:manyheart

My "stash" only consists of about half a dozen skeins of yarn or so (but some I've had forever so I joined the stashbusting game to get me to use them up, and to keep me from buying more. I'm a college student on a tight budget!).

Along with that, I don't spend a lot of money on crocheting. I buy yarn on sale when I can, and there is no way I could spend $10 or more on one skein. There have been some patterns that I've completely drooled over, but I don't buy them. Usually I try to find an alternative pattern that's free, or I go without. One day when I'm rich and famous I'll buy whatever pattern I want! :lol

I'm not a fan of doilies. I don't have a use for them, so I don't make them. Some are really beautiful, but they're not for me.

I never make swatches to test or to check for gauge. I don't make clothing or large projects, so I don't see the point to it.

I'm not a fan of Red Heart, though occasionally I'll use it. My favorite yarn to use is Simply Soft, and Red Heart just feels so much itchier. I also like to use cotton yarn.

Also I don't like crocheting books. Generally I only like about 5% of the patterns it has. I think I only have one book on crocheting (but that one I do like).

I'm a knitter, and I really like knitting. I prefer crocheting a lot more though. I think it has a nicer rhythm.

• 4 weeks later...

I found this thread tonight & thought it was so much fun! Here are a few of mine.

I tie knots if I think it may come undone later (hasn't happened yet).

I'm another one who doesn't "get" freeform.

Never blocked a thing - not sure I would get it right even if I did.

Felt? What's the point - although I'm sure some people love it...it's just not for me.

No matter how hard I try, I can never get the guage quite right. And no one's ever noticed or complained that the pattern didn't seem "right" to them - they were just amazed that someone put the effort into the project.

I own every size of Boye hook made - aluminum & steel. Nothing else feels right.

I've got yarn I haven't seen in years - but I know it's here somewhere!

I have more patterns than I can ever possibly use - and collect more every day.

Just wanted to update my previous list.

Here's the original list.

I tie knots. There, I said it.

Won't touch granny squares. Love to make them but can't stand putting them together, so I just avoid them.

Don't like the SNB book except for the fat bottom bag pattern.

I use an "H" hook for everything, including baby afghans.

I use an "M" hook for any double strand project.

Love RHSS. Have also started using some Caron Perfect Match if RH doesn't have the color I am looking for but CPM does.

I never block.

I never swatch.

Felting? Why take a beautiful piece of crocheting to make it look as though the cat used it as a scratching post.

Doilies: Love them, will never make one. I just cant' stand the small hook and small thread.

Fun Fur: How do you crochet with it? You can't see your stitches and all the fuzz makes me sneeze. I wouldn't use it if they PAID me to use it.

SUSAN BATES RULES !!

Ponchos: Why?

Fringe: Only on winter scarves. Otherwise I won't do it.

WHO SAYS I'M HOLDING THE HOOK WRONG? It's getting the job done, isn't it? (See that pile of 25+ afghans over there -- this is how I held my hook to make them) :hook

NEW LIST:

Who says dishcloths aren't cool? Even if you have a dishwasher, you might still have some things that need to be washed by hand.

I hate it when a pattern doesn't give the multiple count. What if I want to make it bigger or smaller?

I crochet in public -- DEAL WITH IT! And don't you dare make fun of me, I'll crochet your mouth shut.

Shrugs and ponchos - Why?

I despise fringe on anything.

The person who came up with fun fur should be shot. Fun? I don't think so.

I despire Caron Simply Soft. You heard me.

I weave in ends, tie a knot, weave in the rest of the end and only snip if the end is a little frayed looking. I am super paranoid of my work coming undone.

I absolutely love my clover crochet hooks and really wish more sizes were offered. If I can't get the size I need in a clover I wrap the middle of the hook with medical tape until it's cushy enough for me to use comfy. I use Boye when Clover not available and have never tried Susan Bates, plastic or wooden hooks.

I hold my hook in an exceptionally odd manner, which apparently drives old ladies batty, but it works for me and I can't for the life of me figure out how they can work the way they hold their hooks.

I think round ripples / star ghans look silly, but I did make one and the girl I gave it to did love it.

I learned to crochet to make a ripple blanket and doilies and I still love both.

I love granny squares because I can make blankets that look like quilts, but I hate joining and weaving in ends.

I love making things for other people, especially when I can tell they really appreciate what I've made.

I spend more time admiring things other people made and looking at patterns then I do actually making anything.

I love thread crochet even though it takes me forever to make stuff. I love doilies, bookmarks, filet, table cloths, curtains, runners, coasters, bedspreads, Barbie clothes (specifically those really elaborate gowns with lots of ruffles).

I hate color changes.

The hardest part of crocheting for me is the initial slip knot. It usually takes me a few tries to get it right *blush* (I think this is from confusion of trying to learn from watching my left handed mother do it while I am right handed)

I've never made a gauge swatch.

I've only ever blocked doilies / snowflakes.

I do not like fringe, at all.

I use only RHSS, Caron SS, or some other inexpensive brand that comes in the color I want.

I hate South Maid thread, and won't use it no matter what.

I would love to make clothing, but I am large and in Florida and can never find any patterns that I really like or that I think would look okay on me and not be too hot.

I've never felted anything, but think some of the items look neat, but probably won't ever do it myself.

I like the amigumi (however it's spelled), other stuffed toys/dolls, bed dolls, tissue covers and other little decorative things.

I only block competition blankets. The rest can block themselves any old way they fall!

I don't make swatches. I know how big my stitches are and I just really don't care.

Yes, I can crochet and watch TV, sing, balance my checkbook, whatever. Doesn't make me weird.

I'm not a grandma just because I crochet. Doesn't make me old, frumpy or ready to die. (although I'm looking forward to grandkids someday!)

The smell and feel of RHSS reminds me of my grandma and I'm not a yarn snob about it. I buy most of my yarn at WalMart!

I don't do fringe. Ever. I'll make up my edgings.

I only make granny squares for charity. I despise sewing them together.

Yes, I give away my blankets. Almost all of them, even the winning ones. They're just string and I can make another one just like it anytime I want.

I like cheap aluminum hooks. If I lose it, they got more at WalMart!

I crochet at work. A lot. And I don't smoke, drink, overeat or cruise "inappropriate" websites like some of my co-workers! (No they don't do ALL of those at work :D) So they can just shut up about my yarn addiction!

That was fun!

Colleen

I don't get crocheted bikinis or underwear.

Some days I don't spend much time with my family because I am crocheting. <-addict

My parents gave me a ton of homespun yarn for my birthday because I made my mom a hat and scarf out of it for Christmas...they think I love homespun...I don't.

I love searching for new patterns.

I don't get posting a pattern without a picture of the finished project.

I don't like sewing squares together.

I agree with the granny squares,although im making squares now, my first time- gets boring

I do tie knots, and hide and work them in as I go along

I dont do gauge swatches- i measure it and keep going

I never use the yarn type they suggestion. as a matter of fact I dont think Ive ever used the yarn suggested.

sometimes I use a different hook size other than suggested.

I dont knit, but find its just as good as crocheting, they both use stitch techniques to create things

It drives me insane when people call crochet knitting(nothing against knitting)

I also agree with the no such thing as no dye lot. I have bought yarn at 2 different times, the colors but of course were two diffwerent shades

The SNB book, isnt that great I agree, although it does have a pattern I want to make.

As far as things being "in" or being "hot" I dont care, I dance to the beat of my own drum.I like being different and doing different things

There are a few others but I cant think of anything as of the moment, lol.

Kim

:yes I :crocheting in public, on trains, planes, automobiles, buses, at work and anywhere I might have to wait. I don't care who sees/stares or what they say, except when it's called knitting (nothing against knitting, tried it but can't do it). If I was ever without my "knitty-ditty" bag (as my sister calls it :lol), family/friends would ask whats wrong. I'm sooo addicted to :crocheting.

Ellie 13

- I do sometimes check gauge but if it's off, I will then decide whether or not I care.

- I haven't found a desire for felting or filet crochet yet. Not sure it's there.

- I fear buying the super pricey yarns. What if I screw up?

- I tie knots in the ends when nobody is looking.

- I don't know how to make a proper slip knot. I think I'm fudging it.

- I'm scared to create my own color schemes. I have to see it put together first. I'm color challenged.

- I'll probably never make a pair of socks. The sock yarn is expensive yet a pair of socks at Walmart goes for 2 bucks!!

- On the first afghan I made I didn't know I was supposed to do 3sc in the corners of the edging round to keep it square. No wonder that thing never folds up nice!

- The thought of weaving in all those ends keeps me from making the granny square blanket I've been dreaming of to use up my scraps.

- Not only do I believe yarn should be tax exempt, I believe my health insurance co. should be picking up the tab for it. Crochet is my therapy. It's waaaay cheaper than a therapist visit once a week and a lifetime of drugs!

Yeah, I tie knots...dscreetly...and when I wont get caught

I love acrylic...you can tell by my 95% acrylic yarn stash

You will never ever EVER, catch me doing any type of motif, EVER. Cant stand em dont have the patience for em. Those of you out there that do, more power to you. I never have exactly figured out what gauge is. If it doesnt fit somebody I find someone that it does fit. I still get the joy of giving it to someone who will enjoy it anyways, right? I havent worried to much about dye lots, because when I have to buy yarn of different dye lots I just separate em by stripes. Who says I got enough yarn?! Life is a contest and she who dies with the most yarn....WINS!!! Yeah ME!!:cheer

Love, love, love reading all of your lists! Here's mine:

Like grannys, but won't make the same pattern twice in a row (unless making a particular project)

Love to make blankets and afghans

I have never tied a knot

Like to weave in as I go along

Hate fringe - make up edging instead

Love Homespun solids, but the variegated colors have very inconsistent thickness so I don't like those

Love to make a pattern and have it come out just like the picture - colors and everything

Like aluminum hooks the best

Love to make washcloths - who can't use another washcloth?

and coasters, ditto

Never gauge or swatch

Love CALs!

I hate eye lash yarns.

I don't mind Red Heart Yarn.

I don't see the point in making doilies.

I rarely use the recommended hook size and I never make gauge swatches. I don't even know how to make one.

aside from having to give up most of my crocheting due to work issues:(

here's my list:

1. use mostly acrylic and fun fur types, tho i prefer cotton...

2. mostly make amigurumi's and other suchlike stuff cuz i don't have the patience to finish larger projects...(see newborn sweater i started, and niece is now 18mo old...lol)

3. understand wanting to keep dust and hair off the extra roll of tp, but only made one tp cozie... looks like a roll of tp...:lol (and only cuz it's wrong)

4. have crocheted a turd.

5. hold my hook wrong, tie knots, cant read a pattern to save my life, and have more stash than i'll likely ever use...:D

kayveryn

I love making things in the round

I weave as I go

I love cheap yarn

I only use acrylics and sometimes cotton

Knitting confuses me

I wish more charts were available

Thread is FUN and...

Fun fur is not and I would like to burn it but can't see burning yarn(gasp a sin!)

I don't buy magazines

I don't buy books

I hate susan bates hooks and only use boye

Granny squares are fun to make but i hate joining

I like motifs

I spend more time online than crocheting

Homespun is horrible

This is a TERRIFIC thread and I love reading about everyone's likes and dislikes. Here are a few more of mine.

Any yarn that is FREE is great.

Always have multi-projects going.

Love to crochet doilies.

Bedspreads/tablecloths out of thread are way out of my patience quota

Not thrilled with the washed out feel and pilling of Simply Soft yarn

Rarely swatch unless I crocheting clothes

Comfort grip hooks don't feel right in my hand

Pop right up on my soap box when someone asks me "what are you knitting?"!!!!

Love to look at and use books and other pattern collections

Cruising "free pattern" sites could become my second job

I hate crochet kitsch!

I find most crocheted clothing unappealing. They are too bulky, stiff, shapeless – I call them wearable afghans. Just because you can make it fast and cheap, doesn’t make it look good on you!

I hate crocheted items made in garish colors. If people keep seeing that, they have a right to thing crochet is ugly.

I don’t buy yarn to put in a stash. I only buy for specific projects. Saves money and space.

I can crochet anything as light and drapey as if it were knit.

I don’t do openwork or lace. Well…almost never.

The best crochet can take as much time as knitting.

Amigurumi are hideous!

So are TP cozies! My toilet tissue has never complained about being chilly. Tissue boxes don’t need sweaters either.

I block everything.

I swatch a lot.

I will throw away an almost finished project that has gone terribly wrong rather than frog and start over.

Crochet does not necessarily use more yarn than knitting. One of my last scarves used 200 yds of ww yarn for a 5 inch by 6 foot scarf – no lace or openwork involved. That’s the same general yardage for a comparable knit scarf made with the same yarn.

Designers, put out more patterns for menswear PLEASE! I guess I’ll have to do it too.

I don’t get knitting oriented stores who say, “Crocheters won’t spend money.” Duh!!! What do you expect If your store is oriented to the knitter? Don’t expect us to spend money there if you:

• sell crochet patterns that don't reflect current fashion,
  • have no attractive crocheted wearables on display for inspiration,

• don’t have any advanced expertise to offer crocheters like you do for knitters,
  • don’t offer any instruction on today’s crochet trends like Tunisian crochet, hairpin lace, and graphgans,
  • don’t have the tools for these techniques on hand,
  • have a poor selection of beautiful, useful crochet hooks,
  • don’t offer instruction on crochet color work and cabling,
  • give us any sense that you don't like our craft,
  • talk down to us.

You give us no reason to spend more money with you!

• 4 weeks later...

Doilies: gorgous, love looking at other peoples', would be thrilled to get on as a gift, however, i don't have the patience nor the eyes sight to do them myself.

The crochet vs. knitting thing? It's a load of crap.

Caron Simply Soft: it's not that great to me.

Round ripples? i don't get it.

i don't like piking up pattern books that say knit and crochet only to find that 98% of the patterns are knittted:P

i don't like that there is such a bigger selection of knitting books at my local stores.

i do like red heart but not for afghans and blankets

I don't like that fun fur requires tylenol to crochet it. Drives me crazy so i gave up and put that yarn in a garage sale.

i dont test or measure anything i just do it and hope for the best:blush

I agree no dye lots are a lie

i do love this site

i do love making dolls and odd stuff like bunny slippers from the snb book (even though I did not like using two strands)

Archived