2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

Yay, Judy! You can always start, and if you hate it, then you've learned something. I've decided to do the crochet version, and at least make one of each of the knitting sections, just for the experience. It'll be fun! It's not like you won't be able to think of something else to do with the yarn if you change your mind after you get started.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:D

Thanks...I may be doing this after all....

You know you want to join in the fun :devil

Yay, Judy! You can always start, and if you hate it, then you've learned something. I've decided to do the crochet version, and at least make one of each of the knitting sections, just for the experience. It'll be fun! It's not like you won't be able to think of something else to do with the yarn if you change your mind after you get started.

Perfectly said Phyllis :yes

I have decided to try this mystery challenge - I heard about it at my knitting forum. it just sruck a chord for me. I've been wanting to do something interesting for a while now.

I shopped for my Bernat Super Value yarn yesterday. I'm going up a hook size so I bought 2 skeins of my A,B,C,D and 4 of my MC. I'm matching my colours to my pillow sham as I want a nice blankie in my new digs.

post-4896-135897733285_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering if that bright pink is not a good match for the more muted other shades. :sigh

post-4896-135897733281_thumb.jpg

:lol:lol:lol...Oh, I can always come up with another way to use the yarn! I'll take a pic of my colors soon, but after raiding my stash, my MC is black, I have a very vivid purple (Caron Pounder) along with lavender and purple. My contrast will be Cream (also a Pounder)

I have no idea how it's going to look:lol:lol:lol

I have decided to try this mystery challenge - I heard about it at my knitting forum. it just sruck a chord for me. I've been wanting to do something interesting for a while now.

I shopped for my Bernat Super Value yarn yesterday. I'm going up a hook size so I bought 2 skeins of my A,B,C,D and 4 of my MC. I'm matching my colours to my pillow sham as I want a nice blankie in my new digs.

[ATTACH]51288[/ATTACH][ATTACH]51289[/ATTACH]

I'm wondering if that bright pink is not a good match for the more muted other shades. :sigh

Hi, ya, Darski!:hug

The bright pink can be your contast shade:)

Bought my yarn yesterday! Michaels had Waverly on clearance for $2.49, so I bought all but 3 skeins, since they only had two of my MC. Changed one of my contrast colors as well. Will take a pic when I have a few minutes!

I was looking at the chart on their site...I thought they said 4 colors, one of which is the MC???:think

I did the same thing!

Pretty!

Check the yardage; for the CAL you'll need around 1000 yards of the MC and 400 yards of each CC... I don't know the amounts for the KAL, as I'm not doing that one... :) Hope this helps!! :hug

Well I hope the CC I can get away with one skein each because that is all I bought. Hoping that just because it says 400 yards, 2 balls, doesn't mean the the whole 2nd ball will get used. I remember somewhere it even gave the percentages..maybe even somewhere towards the beginning of this thread. I am using caron pounds for the MC so I am more than covered with my 2 :lol

I'm going to join this one, but I'll most likely use stash yarn. There's an RHSS combo of Tea Leaf, Delft Blue, Medium Purple, and Cornmeal that I've been eyeing for awhile and haven't come up with a pattern for. Just have to pick a fifth color and decide which one is going to be my "neutral"(main color). Looking at their color tutorial, the main color is used the most (37%) followed closely by contrast D (31 %), with the other three colors using up the rest fairly equally. Not sure how accurate this actually is, since you're supposed to by 5 balls of the MC and only 2 of CD, but the 2010 Mystery Cal was broken down similarly.

I knew I had seen this! the 37%/31% doesn't seem to quite hold water since it calls for 1000 yards of the MC?? but then I am terrible at math

Somehow I am not to concerned with my ILTY choice and only getting 1 ball of each. It is only 39 yards short of the 197x2 compared to the 355 in a skein of ILTY. If I run out of one it will only serve as an excuse to go to HL!!

I knew I had seen this! the 37%/31% doesn't seem to quite hold water since it calls for 1000 yards of the MC?? but then I am terrible at math

Yeah, they had the wrong percentages up at first, and it was causing a bit of confusion.

The correct percentages are: Main Color 48%, Contrast Colors A,B, and C 14% each, and Contrast Color D 9%.

http://blog.bernat.com/2012/01/04/waverly-for-bernat-color-tutorial/

Yeah, they had the wrong percentages up at first, and it was causing a bit of confusion.

The correct percentages are: Main Color 48%, Contrast Colors A,B, and C 14% each, and Contrast Color D 9%.

http://blog.bernat.com/2012/01/04/waverly-for-bernat-color-tutorial/

If my math works (sometimes) that would be 291 yards each of the 14% colors and 187 of the 9%..so why 2 skeins of the 9%? :lol:lol I'm going with what I have and may the last skein win!

I just thought I would let you know that I went to Michael's today, just to look around and I saw the Waverly yarn on sale for $2.49. They had many colors, so I thought I would share the sale.

My yarn just arrived! :woo

YAY!!!

I just thought I would let you know that I went to Michael's today, just to look around and I saw the Waverly yarn on sale for $2.49. They had many colors, so I thought I would share the sale.

Cool!

Hi all,

I just talked my sister into doing the mystery cal.

Joanne - I have mine bagged up and ready to go as well.

Ann - I have soooooo many wips that I'm using this time to try to finish some. However, I am excited. I also want to try the one from last year. I downloaded it and will do it sometime this year. Post some pictures of your yarn.

:yay:clap

I always :manyheart having new yarn to play with. Now All you have left to do is wait!:devil

That's all, just wait! :lol I thought it would be bad after Tues. when I expected the yarn to arrive! Now I'm going crazy! :lol

Wow, I thought that I got a good deal at $2.79 with Joann's! Good thing I live an hour away from Michael's! Of course, DH did ask me if I wanted to do anything special this week... :lol

Hi all,

I just talked my sister into doing the mystery cal.

Joanne - I have mine bagged up and ready to go as well.

Ann - I have soooooo many wips that I'm using this time to try to finish some. However, I am excited. I also want to try the one from last year. I downloaded it and will do it sometime this year. Post some pictures of your yarn.

I'll try to post a pic tomorrow once the sun comes up. It was too late today.

Archived