2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't done this but with 5 colours to work from I would guess it will take at least 5 weeks - one per colour... so to speak :wlol

I'm interested in hearing this answer myself actually... not that it matters if we're in for the whole deal.

Last time, it was 7 different patterns and then the directions for putting them together= 8 weeks. There was a specific design that the squares went together to make. Some squares had more that one color.:devil

here is the 2010 pattern

http://www.bernat.com/data/pattern/pdf/Bernat_SofteeChunkyweb11_cr_afghan.en_US.pdf

It was good looking at the 2010 pic. I did that CAL, but gifted it and I couldn't remember what it looked like, lol. I really didn't enjoy the mitered squares last time, lol. Here is hoping there aren't any this time around :D

Last time, it was 7 different patterns and then the directions for putting them together= 8 weeks. There was a specific design that the squares went together to make. Some squares had more that one color.:devil

here is the 2010 pattern

http://www.bernat.com/data/pattern/pdf/Bernat_SofteeChunkyweb11_cr_afghan.en_US.pdf

does anyone have a link to the 2011 pattern? I'm thinking I might get an idea of changes I would make if I can compare two of them.

Or did they skip last year?

H

Judy, I was planning on white being my MC. I kind of thought that ivory or off white is too close to the blue. The green and taupe are much darker than the rest of the colors.

Shades of purple with the MC being black will be beautiful! I think teal or peacock goes well with purple and black also.

Oh! Well then your contast IS blue! TY for the suggestion of usong Aqua! That would be a perfect contrast color with the purples.

OFf I go - doing this on my blackberry isn't easy

I love your colors!!!

Ann-

I went to Bed Bath and Beyond- and Michael's is right next store so figured I'd just pop in to see what your colors looked like!! They look great together in "real life" - Great choices!!!!

Thanks ladies! I'm feeling much better about my choices now! :hug

Darski- I don't think Bernat did a Mystery CAL last year---or if they did...I totally missed it!!:lol

I thought that might be the case. Oh well... I'll just lay it by ear as we go along. I was not crazy about some of the design placement for the last one.

Thanks for answering

Thanks! I cannot wait to get started!!!

You're welcome!!! Me too! And by the time that clue comes, my husband will be home after being gone for 6 weeks, and we will FINALLY be moved! So, it all can't come quick enough! :cheer:clap:yay:jumpyay

I was not crazy about some of the design placement for the last one.

Ditto, on that...which made me happy I stopped doing the CAL early on and used my yarn for other things...

I really want to do this, but am still on the fence because I really like the colors I was planning on using and I would hate it if the finished product s****d.

I have decided to try this mystery challenge - I heard about it at my knitting forum. it just sruck a chord for me. I've been wanting to do something interesting for a while now.

I shopped for my Bernat Super Value yarn yesterday. I'm going up a hook size so I bought 2 skeins of my A,B,C,D and 4 of my MC. I'm matching my colours to my pillow sham as I want a nice blankie in my new digs.

[ATTACH]51288[/ATTACH][ATTACH]51289[/ATTACH]

I'm wondering if that bright pink is not a good match for the more muted other shades. :sigh

Your colors look great together!

The colors I have chosen are soft blue, buttercup, mid green, light taupe, and white. It is kind of hard choosing colors when you don't have a clue as to what pattern the afghan will be. I even asked a lady that was shopping for yarn if she thought these colors went good together. We discussed it and I went away feeling a little more confident! Even now, I wonder if I should change the white to off white or ivory. Anyway, here is what they look like though not the best picture. What do you think?

[ATTACH]51358[/ATTACH]

Good Morning Everyone! Here's the pic of my yarn! I'm second guessing my colors now! :lol The Darker blue (blue gown) is my main color, that's ok, but I'm not sure about the others. They aren't true to color on the screen. I know buying online that the colors will be off some, but the pinks looked farther apart. The mauve glow looked deeper. And I don't know if I like the breath of blue. Does the celandon even go? :lol UGH!!! I hate color matching! :lol Let's just get this party started already!

I love all your color choices!!! :manyheart

So I STILL haven't gone through my stash to see what and if I have what I need for this ghan :eek Maybe tonight will be the lucky day :think

I saw somewhere that this will run 15 weeks with time for joining and catching up built in :think

So I STILL haven't gone through my stash to see what and if I have what I need for this ghan :eek Maybe tonight will be the lucky day :think

I saw somewhere that this will run 15 weeks with time for joining and catching up built in :think

That's about how long the last one took. Some weeks the square was super quick and easy. Other weeks we had a lot all at once. I imagine it will be done much the same, but I don't know for sure. One week we had 16 mitered squares to make. That wasn't much fun. I very much felt I had to get them all done that week or I would never finish. Others spread them out into later weeks.

I like the way this is set up. Most of the clues give us plenty of time to work on other projects, too.

That's about how long the last one took. Some weeks the square was super quick and easy. Other weeks we had a lot all at once. I imagine it will be done much the same, but I don't know for sure. One week we had 16 mitered squares to make. That wasn't much fun. I very much felt I had to get them all done that week or I would never finish. Others spread them out into later weeks.

I like the way this is set up. Most of the clues give us plenty of time to work on other projects, too.

I HATED those mitred squares and if I knew then what I know now....I'd have just made 4 big squares :think:yes

I HATED those mitred squares and if I knew then what I know now....I'd have just made 4 big squares :think:yes

I would have, too. There was no reason to do it that way. I think Braxxi did do them as one big square and her's looks better, IMO than the way Bernat had us do it.

I bought my yarn for this also ...

I bought Waverly Bernat

I got yarn mostly from the "Beautiful Things" color wheel but one from Simplicity

I chose

Sundrift as my main color and my contrasts are

Porcelain Red

Bitter Rose

Willow

Bark

Yay for more yarn coming in !!

Kidge- those are great colors!

Pam- can't wait to see yours!!

Ditto to what Nicole and Marisa said about the mitred squares- I would hae done 4 large ones too!!! Not a fan of those mitred squares!!!

I bought my yarn for this also ...

I bought Waverly Bernat

I got yarn mostly from the "Beautiful Things" color wheel but one from Simplicity

I chose

Sundrift as my main color and my contrasts are

Porcelain Red

Bitter Rose

Willow

Bark

Love your colors!

My yarn arrived!!! Woohoo!

:cheer:clap:c9

Still don't know what bag I'm going to use...

:eek

:cheer:clap:cheer

OK, I still haven't gone through my stash yet :blush One week and counting :bounce

Come on you! :lol

Archived