2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

If my math works (sometimes) that would be 291 yards each of the 14% colors and 187 of the 9%..so why 2 skeins of the 9%? :lol:lol I'm going with what I have and may the last skein win!

When Bernat did the 2010 Mystery Cal, a lot of people had extra yarn. I always figured they factored in extra yarn because people of all skill levels participate. After all, you can take two crocheters with the same skill level, have them make the same project with the same pattern, yarn and tools, and they're still going to use different amounts of yarn.

Either that, or they're just trying to sell more yarn.:lol

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have decided to take the plunge. This will be my first time at this. It sounds like it will be fun and I have decided to use ILTY. One question....Can someone tell me how long from the start of the CAL till the last clue and it is finished?

I haven't done this but with 5 colours to work from I would guess it will take at least 5 weeks - one per colour... so to speak :wlol

I'm interested in hearing this answer myself actually... not that it matters if we're in for the whole deal.

I have decided to take the plunge. This will be my first time at this. It sounds like it will be fun and I have decided to use ILTY. One question....Can someone tell me how long from the start of the CAL till the last clue and it is finished?

This is my first time as well so I don't know. However, I do know that 1 week, 16 squares had to be made.

I'm using ILTY as well. What are your colors? I posted pictures of mine a few post back: red, yellow, toasted almond, dark country blue and ivory (MC)

This is my first time as well so I don't know. However, I do know that 1 week, 16 squares had to be made.

I'm using ILTY as well. What are your colors? I posted pictures of mine a few post back: red, yellow, toasted almond, dark country blue and ivory (MC)

Your colors look great together!

The colors I have chosen are soft blue, buttercup, mid green, light taupe, and white. It is kind of hard choosing colors when you don't have a clue as to what pattern the afghan will be. I even asked a lady that was shopping for yarn if she thought these colors went good together. We discussed it and I went away feeling a little more confident! Even now, I wonder if I should change the white to off white or ivory. Anyway, here is what they look like though not the best picture. What do you think?

post-40359-135897733796_thumb.jpg

Somehow I am not to concerned with my ILTY choice and only getting 1 ball of each. It is only 39 yards short of the 197x2 compared to the 355 in a skein of ILTY. If I run out of one it will only serve as an excuse to go to HL!!

That is exactly what I did! Another excellent excuse!

If I recall correctly from the last Mystery Ghan CAL there were 8 weeks- with one clue per week- and each week was a different square and some you only made a couple and then there was that week that you had make 16:eek

Jolena- I like your color choices!!

Ann- :yay for your yarn coming earlier than you expected:clap Can't wait to see the color choices you made!!!! 10 more days till the first clue!!!

If I recall correctly from the last Mystery Ghan CAL there were 8 weeks- with one clue per week- and each week was a different square and some you only made a couple and then there was that week that you had make 16:eek

Jolena- I like your color choices!!

Ann- :yay for your yarn coming earlier than you expected:clap Can't wait to see the color choices you made!!!! 10 more days till the first clue!!!

8 weeks is not bad, 16 squares in a week :eek Better keep those fingers limbered up and hope for an easy week at work! LOL!

When Bernat did the 2010 Mystery Cal, a lot of people had extra yarn. I always figured they factored in extra yarn because people of all skill levels participate. After all, you can take two crocheters with the same skill level, have them make the same project with the same pattern, yarn and tools, and they're still going to use different amounts of yarn.

Either that, or their just trying to sell more yarn.:lol

A bit of both, I think:lol

The colors I have chosen are soft blue, buttercup, mid green, light taupe, and white. It is kind of hard choosing colors when you don't have a clue as to what pattern the afghan will be. I even asked a lady that was shopping for yarn if she thought these colors went good together. We discussed it and I went away feeling a little more confident! Even now, I wonder if I should change the white to off white or ivory. Anyway, here is what they look like though not the best picture. What do you think?

[ATTACH]51358[/ATTACH]

If you're using the blue as your contrast then I would go with a cream or off white.

Just my own opinion, though...it depends on what you like!

....and I was looking through an afghan book yesterday and saw a beautiful ghan made with squares using shades of purple and black as a MC.

The colors I was planning to use for this CAL:eek

...The pattern is calling my name....:P

[ATTACH]51358[/ATTACH]

Your colors are very pretty!

16 squares in 1 week! :eek Good thing I don't sleep much! :lol

....and I was looking through an afghan book yesterday and saw a beautiful ghan made with squares using shades of purple and black as a MC.

The colors I was planning to use for this CAL:eek

...The pattern is calling my name....:P

Oooohhh, sounds pretty! I love purple!

Good Morning Everyone! Here's the pic of my yarn! I'm second guessing my colors now! :lol The Darker blue (blue gown) is my main color, that's ok, but I'm not sure about the others. They aren't true to color on the screen. I know buying online that the colors will be off some, but the pinks looked farther apart. The mauve glow looked deeper. And I don't know if I like the breath of blue. Does the celandon even go? :lol UGH!!! I hate color matching! :lol Let's just get this party started already!

post-16860-1358977338_thumb.jpg

Judy, I was planning on white being my MC. I kind of thought that ivory or off white is too close to the blue. The green and taupe are much darker than the rest of the colors.

Shades of purple with the MC being black will be beautiful! I think teal or peacock goes well with purple and black also.

Good Morning Everyone! Here's the pic of my yarn! I'm second guessing my colors now! :lol The Darker blue (blue gown) is my main color, that's ok, but I'm not sure about the others. They aren't true to color on the screen. I know buying online that the colors will be off some, but the pinks looked farther apart. The mauve glow looked deeper. And I don't know if I like the breath of blue. Does the celandon even go? :lol UGH!!! I hate color matching! :lol Let's just get this party started already!

I think your colors look great. I also think that the people at Bernat announce the CAL way ahead of time just so they can sit back and watch all the second guessing going on!:think:lol

I think your colors look great. I also think that the people at Bernat announce the CAL way ahead of time just so they can sit back and watch all the second guessing going on!:think:lol

Thank you. You know, you're probably right. They probably sell more yarn that way too! :lol

There are some lovely colour choices on this CAL.

I've decided to join in, I'm off to choose and buy my colours on Tuesday:hook

I can't wait it all sounds very exciting:cheer

Have fun selecting your yarn! :yay

[ATTACH]51358[/ATTACH]

Yes! Your colors are great! I think the white is fine. I would have used white but I didn't have enough for this one and the Heartwarming fans ghan I'm working on.

This is my first time doing a mystery CAL. However, I did download the one from last year. If you go to the first page and click the Bernat link, it'll take you to the sight and you can see what last year's ghan looks like.

You'll be okay. There are a lot of us first timers.

I love your colors!!!

15 weeks, but not 15 clues. Some weeks will be catch up weeks, and then there will be weeks that we will be assembling.

Arrow over the "What's New" heading and

Click on "Forum" in the pull down menu.

Click on "Crochet-Along (CAL)

Click on "2010 CAL PDF-Our Last Mystery Blanket"

Let me know if you find it.

See if you can link to it through this:

... .en_US.pdf

It should bring up a pdf file

Thank you both so much. I found it. :manyheart

Archived