2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

I remember a lot of us had a great time doing the CAL Bernat had last time. (http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118663) I was wondering if anyone was going to jump in this time...

http://www.bernat.com/2012mysteryafghan/

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:woo

I'm so glad you posted this info. I didn't realize they had one coming up. It stinks we have to wait until Feb 15th for the first clue. :( Ah well, I have plenty of other things to finish in the meantime.

The cool thing about the yarn is that Waverly is almost exactly like Vanna's Choice, which I love. I might get Waverly though. The new Jo-Anne by me carries that yarn. Hmm...

I have been debating about what colors to choose. I love their Color Tutorial and MyPalette, it's made it so much easier to think of colors that will complement each other. This will be my first Mystery CAL, wish me luck!

I got the newsletter and saw this and I'm seriously considering it. I had a lot of fun with the Mystery CAL last year and love how my afghan turned out!

I really don't need any more yarn--LOL

Michael's carries the yarn- but not all the colors---and JoAnn's and ACMoore by me don't carry the yarn-so I'd have to order it online. Still thinking on this one.

I'm in! I'll be ordering my yarn either today or tomorrow from Joann's. It's on sale this week. I've never used Waverly before & am looking forward to trying a new yarn.

I really doubt I'm going to use Waverly. I'm definitely making the afghan though. This was so much fun last year.

I'm in too, I'm also not using the waverly, I have to use what I have on hand, especially since I bought some yarn for another afghan for a gift.

I am on the fence about this one I really want to do this but I am not sure if I want to use the yarn that they want you to use.

Waverly is a soft, worsted weight very similar to Vanna's Choice. It will be easy peasy to find another kind of yarn if you wanted to go that direction. Come on....you know you wanna! :devil

I'm going to join this one, but I'll most likely use stash yarn. There's an RHSS combo of Tea Leaf, Delft Blue, Medium Purple, and Cornmeal that I've been eyeing for awhile and haven't come up with a pattern for. Just have to pick a fifth color and decide which one is going to be my "neutral"(main color). Looking at their color tutorial, the main color is used the most (37%) followed closely by contrast D (31 %), with the other three colors using up the rest fairly equally. Not sure how accurate this actually is, since you're supposed to by 5 balls of the MC and only 2 of CD, but the 2010 Mystery Cal was broken down similarly.

I wondered the same thing at first, yarn geek. Then I saw that the percentage they give is a "visual" percentage, not a material comparison. I don't know if that helps, but that's what popped into my head. :tup

I'm on the fence about joining this one. I did the one last year but it is still on in pieces in a bag. Maybe this will be incentive to finish the last one. I just can't seem to motivate myself to do all that joining.

I'm so glad to see others will be doing this one too! I choice Waverly colors that I like, but may look through my stash first. Not like I don't have any yarn. LOL!!! If I decide to use the Waverly, I plan to buy it when I have to take my grandma to Madison for surgery. The JoAnn superstore up there has them so I was hoping to see the actual colors in hand. I was also thinking about making one in bright/deep colors, which aren't available in the Waverly. Hmmm...maybe I'll have to make 2. :lol

I'm going to join this one, but I'll most likely use stash yarn. There's an RHSS combo of Tea Leaf, Delft Blue, Medium Purple, and Cornmeal that I've been eyeing for awhile and haven't come up with a pattern for. Just have to pick a fifth color and decide which one is going to be my "neutral"(main color). Looking at their color tutorial, the main color is used the most (37%) followed closely by contrast D (31 %), with the other three colors using up the rest fairly equally. Not sure how accurate this actually is, since you're supposed to by 5 balls of the MC and only 2 of CD, but the 2010 Mystery Cal was broken down similarly.

As much as I would LOVE to go out and buy yarn, I think I'm going to raid my stash for this project.

I'm so glad to see others will be doing this one too! I choice Waverly colors that I like, but may look through my stash first. Not like I don't have any yarn. LOL!!! If I decide to use the Waverly, I plan to buy it when I have to take my grandma to Madison for surgery. The JoAnn superstore up there has them so I was hoping to see the actual colors in hand. I was also thinking about making one in bright/deep colors, which aren't available in the Waverly. Hmmm...maybe I'll have to make 2. :lol

Do you know how much this cracked me up? Especially yarn geek..really?? stash you can go through first?? The queen of the 2011 stashbusting cal? Like I can say anything... :lol I was 2nd :hook:cheer:cheer:cheer

OK...I got sucked in...

But I'll be using my stash for this one. If I buy anymore yarn...well, does anyone know a good divorce lawyer:lol

I wondered the same thing at first, yarn geek. Then I saw that the percentage they give is a "visual" percentage, not a material comparison. I don't know if that helps, but that's what popped into my head. :tup

Excellent point! I did notice that the Kal uses two more skeins than the CAL, so I figured there will be some lacier pieces. I just didn't put the two together.:lol

Here's some interesting info from the Bernat Forums about the afghan sizes:

KAL: Approx 45" x 59" [114.5 x 150 cm].

CAL: Approx 46½" x 62" [118 x 152.5 cm].

Archived