2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

Here's a link to the completed pattern for the 2010 CAL. http://www.bernat.com/data/pattern/pdf/Bernat_SofteeChunkyweb11_cr_afghan.en_US.pdf

Except for the center square, all the squares were the same size. Each week, we got a clue for a new square. I know that they're not doing the same pattern this year, but it sounds like it'll be motif based again. According to the Bernat forum, this year's pattern looks completely different from the 2010 Cal.

Here's a link to the Questions section on the Bernat Blog. http://www.bernat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=531

Thank you! :clap

This makes a lot more sense now. I'm glad they're not using chunky yarn this year; I almost never work with it. I did print up the pattern though. Maybe if I need a bunch of help, I'll use it to bush my worsted weight stash ... just work everything with two strands of yarn. ;)

Now, it's time to hit my stash and pick out enough yarn for both the CAL and the KAL!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After shopping my stash, I've decided to use some Vanna's Choince that's been patiently waiting for me to find the right afghan pattern. Vanna's is only 170 yds a skein, so I'll get to use even more stash! Here's a pic, along with my stash guardian; granted, she's more likely to attack and wrestle with the yarn than guard it... :lol

I'm planning on using the grey as my main color and the darker blue as my accent shade color (Contrast D).

These are gorgeous!

These are the dimensions for the 2012 KAL/CAL according to the Bernat Forum:

KAL: Approx 45" x 59" [114.5 x 150 cm].

CAL: Approx 46½" x 62" [118 x 152.5 cm].

Thanks!! And thanks for posting the link to the forums. I read it over and it was helpful. I also bookmarked the 2010 CAL. Might do that one one day too.

Same here. I'm going to mix and match with Vanna. I love her Charcoal Grey with Waverly Fresh Flower.

After shopping my stash, I've decided to use some Vanna's Choince that's been patiently waiting for me to find the right afghan pattern. Vanna's is only 170 yds a skein, so I'll get to use even more stash! Here's a pic, along with my stash guardian; granted, she's more likely to attack and wrestle with the yarn than guard it... :lol

I'm planning on using the grey as my main color and the darker blue as my accent shade color (Contrast D).

I'm definitely in, even though my afghan from last year's is still mostly in pieces. I'm going to try and finish it up before this CAL starts up, even if that means I just whipstitch everything.

As for the upcoming CAL, I ordered my yarn on Friday, so hopefully I'll be able to post a picture before the end of the week. For my main color I choose Sundrift, with Mauve Glow, Pink Suede, Willow, and Beautiful Blue. I'm so glad that they included the little color chart to help out, as last year my color combinations were a little weird.

Welcome aboard Aurora. This is going to be fun. The colors should be amazing. Lets have fun.

Carol

I think I am going to try this one. Never done one with a site like Bernat, so this should be fun. Cant' wait to start seeing pictures of progress.

Good morning ladies :hi

My sister reminded me yesterday that we have to get her yarn for this :lol

Joanne - Since you saw that they said it would look good in all one color, did they happen to mention how vareigated's would work?

Got all of my colors today yay:clap

Great colors :yes

I'm throwing my hat into the ring on this one. I've never done a CAL, so this will be new for me. I did have a bit of trouble deciding whether to knit or crochet but decided on the faster version. I've been wanting to work with Waverly yarn and actually had most of the yarn I need in my stash already. Can't remember the exaxt color names, but my ghan will be soft greens and butter, with a pink for contrast and birch white for the main color. This one is for me!

:yay Phyllis.... :welcome

I think your stash guard has already 'claimed' this afghan :think Love the colors

I think your stash guard has already 'claimed' this afghan :think Love the colors

:rofl She probably has! It wouldn't be the first time. I have a giant granny square afghan that I'd made with the left over yarn (and then some) from the 2010 Bernat Mystery CAL that she claimed right away when I took her in. The blanket's not just for sleeping on; it's a toy! She plays through it. I don't have a good picture of it, but she'll stick her arms through the holes to play with her toys. What can I say, she likes to add degrees of difficulty to her play. :lol

post-33647-135897725419_thumb.jpg

post-33647-135897725422_thumb.jpg

post-33647-135897725425_thumb.jpg

post-33647-135897725428_thumb.jpg

Ladies, keep in mind that the pattern is written for Waverly, which comes in 3.5 ounce skeins. Many yarns in your stash will be much larger than that, so it will make a difference how many skeins you will need. That might influence your color choices a bit. I checked, and the yardage for one skein of Waverly is 197 yards.
Thank you for saying that, may make a difference in which stash I pick.

How big have their afghans been in the past? I'm seriously contemplating doing this, though probably with Simply Soft. I have no idea what colors to use. Simply soft has become my new favorite yarn lately :)
I might also use simply soft, I have a lot of various greens and varigated, that is depending on whether or not varigated is considered a good option, because I have the most in the varigated color.

What a cute stash guardian :cat

:rofl She probably has! It wouldn't be the first time. I have a giant granny square afghan that I'd made with the left over yarn (and then some) from the 2010 Bernat Mystery CAL that she claimed right away when I took her in. The blanket's not just for sleeping on; it's a toy! She plays through it. I don't have a good picture of it, but she'll stick her arms through the holes to play with her toys. What can I say, she likes to add degrees of difficulty to her play. :lol
So cute, your stash guardian has good taste in her blankets!!!

[bips head] Duh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. It doesn't take a week to crochet one row of a 46" wide afghan. It will probably take that long for me to knit it. I'm debating about trying their mystery afghan KAL as well. I've been trying to improve my knitting skills and it might be good motivation. I hope it won't end up like my other knitting project a single sock completed to the heel. :eek

Were all the squares the same? That would be a short CAL if it was. One lesson, "make twenty squares". Then the next week, "whip-stitch all squares together". The next week, "edge using this technique". :heehee Still, it would use up plenty of yarn!

I was also thinking of doing both the KAL and CAL, like I don't have enough stuff I'm working on :blush. I am fairly new to knitting, and would also like to improve my knitting skills. Bernat also had a KAL before they had the last CAL, I'll see if I can find a link to that. Here is a link I found, can't find one pdf for the whole thing, I linked to the finished pictures, but all the clues are still there if your interested http://blog.bernat.com/2010/03/04/mystery-afghan-knit-along-contest-updates-and-finished-projects/ I also have that one saved to eventually try :eek

René

Very cute :manyheart

Yarn Geek, beautiful colors, but I love the "stash guardian". So adorable... and yeah, my fuzzy one would also more likely attack and wrestle, than guard! :lol

Love it!!

What a beauty! She looks just like 3 of my cats...the black and grey tabby.

Okay, I decided. I am going to get in on this one too!! :cheer I have several other projects to finish plus last years mystery CAL but I have alot of stash yarn that needs to be put to use. I have a lot of pink yarn that was originally purchased for another project so I may look at doing this in all pink. My DD would love that!

Argh! :thair

I went online to order my yarn from Jo-ann. I received a gift card that will cover all of the yarn. :yay Whenever I tried to apply the gift card, I got an error. I "had" to enter a credit card to get it to go to the confirmation page. It didn't show the gift card as a method of payment at all. Yeah, well, that's not happening. If I have to pay for it myself (which isn't a big deal), I won't be using Jo-ann.

Argh! :thair

I went online to order my yarn from Jo-ann. I received a gift card that will cover all of the yarn. :yay Whenever I tried to apply the gift card, I got an error. I "had" to enter a credit card to get it to go to the confirmation page. It didn't show the gift card as a method of payment at all. Yeah, well, that's not happening. If I have to pay for it myself (which isn't a big deal), I won't be using Jo-ann.

How frustrating!!! Did you call their customer service? Seems you should be able to use a gift card!

Dargonpuck - love the colors! Those are some of the ones that I always tend to gravitate towards.

I've picked my colors - now to order the one that I need. The other 4 are in my stash already.

How frustrating!!! Did you call their customer service? Seems you should be able to use a gift card!

I didn't have time to mess with it at the time. I figured I would try again today. If nothing else, I'll just go into a store.

Archived