2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ordered my yarn today from JoAnn - on sale through today! I ordered Sundrift, Incense, Turtle Green, Cadet and Antique for myself. I ordered Mauve, Princess, Flower, White and Antique for my granmother (who doesn't know...lol). I also ordered the yarn for my neighbor. Can't wait till it gets here.

Got all of my colors today yay:clap

Just wondering what brands you both bought? TrinaLRose I really like your colors!

I'm still debating colors. I've decided to go with Red Heart, since it's easily accessible for me. I'll get back to you on the colors I decide.

Ordered my yarn today from JoAnn - on sale through today! I ordered Sundrift, Incense, Turtle Green, Cadet and Antique for myself. I ordered Mauve, Princess, Flower, White and Antique for my granmother (who doesn't know...lol). I also ordered the yarn for my neighbor. Can't wait till it gets here.

Nice color choices! That will be a nice big box when it arrives :D

Got all of my colors today yay:clap

Those look good together. That will make a pretty 'ghan :)

It is going to be super hard to wait until Feb to begin, lol! :hook

So is the soft white going to be your main color? That's actually a very good idea...taking a varigated or camo yarn to pick the colorway. I'm not very good with picking out colors that look good together. I think I shared on here before how the last afghan that I had to pick different colors for my hubby actually picked them and they look fantastic together! I would probably have never picked the colors he did!

I don't think I would do it in a solid color....I would get too bored. And seriously, Joanne, you actually have 13 skeins of one color in your stash? :eek That's not a stash...that's a COLLECTION! :rofl

I actually had 14 skeins of RHSS Light Sage--:lol-so that's what I'm going to use. (Yes, I'm a yarnaholic :lol:lol)Depending on how it turns out, it will either be for my bedroom or for my DD and SIL for their family room (Christmas present) I dont' think I'll get bored since it won't be doing the same thing...I just hope that we don't have a week where we have to do 16 squares in a week like last year!!!:eek

I plan on yarn from my stash-- a variegated and matching solids- not gone hunting yet though- my stash is in boxes pending a move- that was to have happened but sale of house fell through. Haven't the heart to unpack it but need to use the stuff I have rather than get more---

I've done mystery quilts and loved how they turned out. I've never tried a mystery afghan. A question for those who have done one before, how is this organized, do they usually give a row per week, or a larger section of pattern, or does it vary depending on the project?

As to what yarn to use, I think I'll check out my stash tomorrow!

:clap Another excuse to use up my stash!

I'm throwing my hat into the ring on this one. I've never done a CAL, so this will be new for me. I did have a bit of trouble deciding whether to knit or crochet but decided on the faster version. I've been wanting to work with Waverly yarn and actually had most of the yarn I need in my stash already. Can't remember the exaxt color names, but my ghan will be soft greens and butter, with a pink for contrast and birch white for the main color. This one is for me!

I'm throwing my hat into the ring on this one. I've never done a CAL, so this will be new for me. I did have a bit of trouble deciding whether to knit or crochet but decided on the faster version. I've been wanting to work with Waverly yarn and actually had most of the yarn I need in my stash already. Can't remember the exaxt color names, but my ghan will be soft greens and butter, with a pink for contrast and birch white for the main color. This one is for me!

:clap:clap Glad you are going to do this!!!

Yay, Phyllis!

I've been looking in some stash...and Black (Caron one pounder) will be my MC....I have some of their BRIGHT purple and other purples I may use with it - or the Caron scarlet...good thing we have till February:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Hmmmm....I could take all the guesswork out of it and use all black.

I don't have a problem working with black yarn...unless I'm sitting in the man cave with DH trying to crochet.:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

I actually had 14 skeins of RHSS Light Sage--:lol-so that's what I'm going to use. (Yes, I'm a yarnaholic :lol:lol)Depending on how it turns out, it will either be for my bedroom or for my DD and SIL for their family room (Christmas present) I dont' think I'll get bored since it won't be doing the same thing...I just hope that we don't have a week where we have to do 16 squares in a week like last year!!!:eek

Oohh--I like the Light Sage. I am making, one piece at a time, a "bathroom set" of my own creation out of it. So far, I only have the small *hair toy* container for small barrettes, ponytail holders, etc. I'm just going to make various containers for the stuff I need. I must do this slowly, as it is tight crochet, which hurts my hands :(

I've decided to join this CAL--the "mystery" part of it intrigues me :) I've never created something that someone else planned without knowing what it is....sounds like FUN :hook

I, too, will be raiding my stash. As much as I love to work with Bernat yarns, I've got to reduce. I'm trying to reduce everything as I will probably be moving to Arizona no later than April. The fiancee and I are buying property near my parents and an hour from his.

I've done mystery quilts and loved how they turned out. I've never tried a mystery afghan. A question for those who have done one before, how is this organized, do they usually give a row per week, or a larger section of pattern, or does it vary depending on the project?

As to what yarn to use, I think I'll check out my stash tomorrow!

:clap Another excuse to use up my stash!

Last time the crocheted one was in squares, so the pattern was for the whole square. But I'd venture a guess that it would be sections rather than individual rows, or it would take a really long time and we'd all get bored waiting on the next row :devil

Ladies, keep in mind that the pattern is written for Waverly, which comes in 3.5 ounce skeins. Many yarns in your stash will be much larger than that, so it will make a difference how many skeins you will need. That might influence your color choices a bit. I checked, and the yardage for one skein of Waverly is 197 yards.

Ladies, keep in mind that the pattern is written for Waverly, which comes in 3.5 ounce skeins. Many yarns in your stash will be much larger than that, so it will make a difference how many skeins you will need. That might influence your color choices a bit. I checked, and the yardage for one skein of Waverly is 197 yards.

Thanks Phyllis--I figured the Bernat Waverly yarn skeins were smaller--I just checked the RHSS-it's 364 yards, so it's about 30 yards short of being 2 skeins of Waverly to every 1 RHSS---that is, if I'm calculating correctly!:think:lol

Last time the crocheted one was in squares, so the pattern was for the whole square. But I'd venture a guess that it would be sections rather than individual rows, or it would take a really long time and we'd all get bored waiting on the next row :devil

[bips head] Duh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. It doesn't take a week to crochet one row of a 46" wide afghan. It will probably take that long for me to knit it. I'm debating about trying their mystery afghan KAL as well. I've been trying to improve my knitting skills and it might be good motivation. I hope it won't end up like my other knitting project a single sock completed to the heel. :eek

Were all the squares the same? That would be a short CAL if it was. One lesson, "make twenty squares". Then the next week, "whip-stitch all squares together". The next week, "edge using this technique". :heehee Still, it would use up plenty of yarn!

How big have their afghans been in the past? I'm seriously contemplating doing this, though probably with Simply Soft. I have no idea what colors to use. Simply soft has become my new favorite yarn lately :)

I saw that, too...then went online to check the yardage for the Caron Pounders...:tup

After shopping my stash, I've decided to use some Vanna's Choince that's been patiently waiting for me to find the right afghan pattern. Vanna's is only 170 yds a skein, so I'll get to use even more stash! Here's a pic, along with my stash guardian; granted, she's more likely to attack and wrestle with the yarn than guard it... :lol

I'm planning on using the grey as my main color and the darker blue as my accent shade color (Contrast D).

post-33647-135897725259_thumb.jpg

post-33647-135897725263_thumb.jpg

[bips head] Duh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. It doesn't take a week to crochet one row of a 46" wide afghan. It will probably take that long for me to knit it. I'm debating about trying their mystery afghan KAL as well. I've been trying to improve my knitting skills and it might be good motivation. I hope it won't end up like my other knitting project a single sock completed to the heel. :eek

Were all the squares the same? That would be a short CAL if it was. One lesson, "make twenty squares". Then the next week, "whip-stitch all squares together". The next week, "edge using this technique". :heehee Still, it would use up plenty of yarn!

Here's a link to the completed pattern for the 2010 CAL. http://www.bernat.com/data/pattern/pdf/Bernat_SofteeChunkyweb11_cr_afghan.en_US.pdf

Except for the center square, all the squares were the same size. Each week, we got a clue for a new square. I know that they're not doing the same pattern this year, but it sounds like it'll be motif based again. According to the Bernat forum, this year's pattern looks completely different from the 2010 Cal.

Here's a link to the Questions section on the Bernat Blog. http://www.bernat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=531

After shopping my stash, I've decided to use some Vanna's Choince that's been patiently waiting for me to find the right afghan pattern. Vanna's is only 170 yds a skein, so I'll get to use even more stash! Here's a pic, along with my stash guardian; granted, she's more likely to attack and wrestle with the yarn than guard it... :lol

I'm planning on using the grey as my main color and the darker blue as my accent shade color (Contrast D).

Nice color choices!!!

How big have their afghans been in the past? I'm seriously contemplating doing this, though probably with Simply Soft. I have no idea what colors to use. Simply soft has become my new favorite yarn lately :)

These are the dimensions for the 2012 KAL/CAL according to the Bernat Forum:

KAL: Approx 45" x 59" [114.5 x 150 cm].

CAL: Approx 46½" x 62" [118 x 152.5 cm].

Archived