2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joanne, yours is a lot like mine, but I chose a bright pink instead of the brown. They are all gorgeous together. And you will love working with the Waverly.

Thanks Phyllis- I'm not sure which way to go though-Maybe I'll bring them to craft club Monday night and get some opinions!:)

I think I decided after looking at the Bernat Blog- I'll go with "Simplicity"

Birch White, Aqua Frost, Greek Sea, Butter and Colonial Beige!!

At least that's the plan for today!:lol

What color are you thinking of using for your main color? Since the main/background color comprises about 48% of the color ratio, I would start with that and then figure out what colors I want to feature.

Thanks for reminding me of that. Now I'm completely over thinking it. I think I'm gonna go yarn shopping again. Pink wouldn't be bad as the main color. But now I'm wondering if I really want those colors. This is a pain. :)

Well, I decided to treat myself to some Bernat Waverly yarn as a reward to myself for all the hours I'm putting in at work!! Now I can't decide which colors to use!!!

I bought the following colors Birch White; Aqua Frost;Greek Sea;Butter;Classic Navy and Colonial Beige

Birch White will be the main color since I bought 5 skeins of that color

Here are pics of the various combinations

Your colors are beautiful!!!

Ann! I chose the same theme for mine but using princess instead of the celadon and mauve glow will be my main color. :hug

Nice! Isn't it hard to choose! :lol

Happy Birthday Nicole!!! :cake

I'm in!! Last night I was reading one of the blogs that I follow...though I can't remember who's now and they mentioned the KAL/CAL. I noticed the Waverly yarn a month or two ago at Michaels when they got it and Totally fell in love with the spring colors but couldn't decide what I wanted to do with it so I didn't buy any. Well, seeing the CAL, I figured why not!!! Never done one before so I'm excited!!

I just ordered my yarn from the Bernat website since they had 25% off 13 or more skeins (cheaper than Joanns). I got Birch White as my main color and then Breath of Blue, Celadon, Fresh Flower, and Butter for the others. I'm not sure what to use as the "pop" color that you guys are talking about. I guess that's just one that they use a bit more than the others (other than the MC)??

Not sure why I think I'll have time for this since I'll have a newborn (any day now), am TRYING to do a Wedding Rings Blanket AND an intricate shawl as gifts, plus everything else!!! But I have been being good about not buying this yarn yet...and I truly do looovvveee this yarn!

I'm in!! Last night I was reading one of the blogs that I follow...though I can't remember who's now and they mentioned the KAL/CAL. I noticed the Waverly yarn a month or two ago at Michaels when they got it and Totally fell in love with the spring colors but couldn't decide what I wanted to do with it so I didn't buy any. Well, seeing the CAL, I figured why not!!! Never done one before so I'm excited!!

I just ordered my yarn from the Bernat website since they had 25% off 13 or more skeins (cheaper than Joanns). I got Birch White as my main color and then Breath of Blue, Celadon, Fresh Flower, and Butter for the others. I'm not sure what to use as the "pop" color that you guys are talking about. I guess that's just one that they use a bit more than the others (other than the MC)??

Not sure why I think I'll have time for this since I'll have a newborn (any day now), am TRYING to do a Wedding Rings Blanket AND an intricate shawl as gifts, plus everything else!!! But I have been being good about not buying this yarn yet...and I truly do looovvveee this yarn!

Glad you are joining in the fun!!! Wow, you really have alot on your plate between the Wedding Rigs blanket and intricate shawl===and a newborn on the way!!! When is the baby due?

I'm having a hard time deciding what color combination I want to use. I've got it narrowed down to 3 choices. All Simply Soft yarn ... this is from my stash. Sorry about the pic quality. My camera and this laptop don't get along very well. The purple is the same in all 3, I know it looks almost black in the one photo, and I'm actually thinking about trading it for a brighter shade of purple if I can find one. Seeing them all together, I'm sorta leaning towards the photo without the white.

I like the same one (the one without the white) :yes

Well, I decided to treat myself to some Bernat Waverly yarn as a reward to myself for all the hours I'm putting in at work!! Now I can't decide which colors to use!!!

I bought the following colors Birch White; Aqua Frost;Greek Sea;Butter;Classic Navy and Colonial Beige

Birch White will be the main color since I bought 5 skeins of that color

Here are pics of the various combinations

I like your 3rd combo :think I think it's the one missing the darker green :devil (not sure if that's the greek sea or the aqua frost)

Glad you are joining in the fun!!! Wow, you really have alot on your plate between the Wedding Rigs blanket and intricate shawl===and a newborn on the way!!! When is the baby due?

Lol, I can promise I'm never bored! He's due on the 9th! Coming right up!

Okay, I went wild and crazy and ordered the yarn. I'm hoping it will show up before the 2/15 start date!

Since I'm giving this away, I decided on a color scheme that I'd love to work on, but that won't work in the house (to resist temptation to keep it):

Tibetan Red (main), Antique, Gypsy Gold, Cadet, and Stone Brown.

I decided to go with the CAL, as I'm already knitting several things...

:manyheart

Well, I decided to think about this afghan sensibly, and though I liked my first choice of colors, it wouldn't really go with anything in my house. So I decided to go with these colors instead. I'm just trying to decide if I want red or white to be my main color.

post-54847-13589773205_thumb.jpg

boy am I doing good...not lol.

I picked out my colors and for some reason thought there was only 3 contrast colors. Not to fear I'm sure I can figure out something...but I also thought I only needed one skein of each contrasting color :lol:lol

awww...I will HAVE to go to Hobby Lobby again :cheer:cheer

Ok who else is getting impatient!! :lol Can't wait for the clues to start coming!! I LOVE all the different color combos I'm seeing from everyone, it will be so awesome to share and compare our finished afghans when it's all over!! :cheer

Ok who else is getting impatient!! :lol Can't wait for the clues to start coming!! I LOVE all the different color combos I'm seeing from everyone, it will be so awesome to share and compare our finished afghans when it's all over!! :cheer

:jumpyay Me! Me! I'm getting extremely impatient! All the color combos are wonderful! :cheer

A question on the comparing ... is it typical for everyone to post their works as they progress or only when the afghan/s are complete? I can see benefits for each option: one, if we post as each clue progresses, we might inspire others to join the CAL, but two, it might spoil the mystery for people who are not as far along. Just a weird curiosity to pass the time while waiting for the first clue. :think Yup, I'm strange!

Come on Bernat! Give us a clue! :clap

:jumpyay Me! Me! I'm getting extremely impatient! All the color combos are wonderful! :cheer

A question on the comparing ... is it typical for everyone to post their works as they progress or only when the afghan/s are complete? I can see benefits for each option: one, if we post as each clue progresses, we might inspire others to join the CAL, but two, it might spoil the mystery for people who are not as far along. Just a weird curiosity to pass the time while waiting for the first clue. :think Yup, I'm strange!

If memory serves me correctly, we would post pics of our squares as we went along when we did the last Bernat Mystery CAL:think I can't wait for this to begin!

Thanks for the feedback Marisa- the one you liked doesn't have the Greek Goddess- it has navy, colonial beige, butter, aqua frost and white.

Well, I decided to think about this afghan sensibly, and though I liked my first choice of colors, it wouldn't really go with anything in my house. So I decided to go with these colors instead. I'm just trying to decide if I want red or white to be my main color.

:yay I like your choice there and I'm feeling like the red would be a great main color :think But then I haven't seen the room you're going to work it for :lol I think red it 'pop' better, but I think white will feel more 'serene' if that makes sense at all :lol

I'm impatient too, but still haven't picked my colors.

Joanne is correct, last time around we posted pics of our squares for each clue :yes Since we're getting the clues at the same time. If someone falls behind and doesn't want to see the square until they work it up themselves, they should hold off on coming into the thread for that week until they do that square :think Almost like a 'spoiler alert' :lol That being said, I found that a lot of people liked to wait until they did see the square for that week after being completed by someone else before they did theirs :think

I'm excited to get it started! Hopefully my yarn ships/gets here soon. I ordered on the 29th and they said they needed 2 days to ship (bernat) so I know it'll be here before it's time to begin but I REALLY am just dying to see the colors I chose together in person!!

If memory serves me correctly, we would post pics of our squares as we went along when we did the last Bernat Mystery CAL:think I can't wait for this to begin!

That's cool. Maybe I can improve my digital photography skills. Film was so easy. It was just more time-consuming. With digital, it seems as if certain colors just will not show up correctly :eek, so the extra practice should help. :D

:yay I like your choice there and I'm feeling like the red would be a great main color :think But then I haven't seen the room you're going to work it for :lol I think red it 'pop' better, but I think white will feel more 'serene' if that makes sense at all :lol

I'm impatient too, but still haven't picked my colors.

Joanne is correct, last time around we posted pics of our squares for each clue :yes Since we're getting the clues at the same time. If someone falls behind and doesn't want to see the square until they work it up themselves, they should hold off on coming into the thread for that week until they do that square :think Almost like a 'spoiler alert' :lol That being said, I found that a lot of people liked to wait until they did see the square for that week after being completed by someone else before they did theirs :think

I love red! For the afghans I'm doing, I went with darker reds (Claret and Burgundy) because they fit the color scheme much better, but I wish I could have used some bright red!

Yikes! :eek I hope you have a really well-stocked yarn store near you (or a very well-stocked yarn stash). Do you at least have an idea of what room you want to make the afghan for? :think

That's interesting on waiting to see the completed square. :think I could see that being a plus for someone who's uncomfortable working only from a pattern, or is a beginning crocheter. We were all beginners once. I, for one, didn't really start working from patterns until I was around six, so I had two years of working from what I saw or what my grandmother told me to "add this next". Okay, now that I think it through more, I can see why some people would want to wait to see the "finished" clue! :hook

I'm excited to get it started! Hopefully my yarn ships/gets here soon. I ordered on the 29th and they said they needed 2 days to ship (bernat) so I know it'll be here before it's time to begin but I REALLY am just dying to see the colors I chose together in person!!

Yippie! :jumpyay New yarn to check out!

The first clue is almost here! :woo

Yikes! :eek I hope you have a really well-stocked yarn store near you (or a very well-stocked yarn stash). Do you at least have an idea of what room you want to make the afghan for? :think

:lol I have no clue. Right now I'm living with my sister and her bf so don't really have my own place to worry about matching. So I can kinda get crazy with it if I want. It depends what I have enough of in my stash already. I know I have quite a few brights that I can use as the contrast. I may just have a problem with the main color. I have to see my options and if I can get away without having to buy any. I'll probably be using caron ss or rhss, since those are my largest stash options :yes

Thanks for the advice!! I actually haven't seen the room yet either! Most of my belongings are packed away right now, as we're moving 2 weeks from today. We'll be in a furnished rental for 6 months, then we're buying a house, so then I'll see it, but I really am leaning towards the red.

Yippie! :jumpyay New yarn to check out!

The first clue is almost here! :woo

I know! I rarely order yarn...normally just buy it in the store...and now I know why!! It's hard enough waiting for a regular package...waiting for a yarn package is torture, lol.

I know! I rarely order yarn...normally just buy it in the store...and now I know why!! It's hard enough waiting for a regular package...waiting for a yarn package is torture, lol.

On the other hand, there is no greater joy than when that brown UPS van pulls up in front of your house! :manyheart

Archived