• sk-INE
    • sk-EEN

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Long a sound here, also. The funny part about our state is the top half sound like northeners and the bottom half sound like southeners. I have always gotten a kick out of this. LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up using different spellings and even pronunciations of words and sometimes my own lingering difficulties with speech will throw me off my usual pronunciation of something. However I usually pronounce it either skane with a silent e, and Skein with the e saying it's name.

Living in the US of A it is sometimes frustrating because we use different pronunciations depending on the region we live in or our roots come from.

Another example of regional differences in terms and pronunciations would be the Soda vs Pop argument.

In the state of WA it seems like Pop is the normal term for a carbonated sugary drink such as Pepsi or Coke, or any other drink in the same category. I grew up in California for the most part and was used to using the word "Soda" or the actual name of the type of drink I wanted. When I would go to the store for one I would say to whomever I was hanging out with "Hey I'm gonna go to the store and grab a soda. You want anything?"

My friends up here say Pop instead of Soda. For some reason it irritates me to no end and I have to correct them. I'm like: "Either call it a soda or call it by it's proper name (Mountain Dew, Dr Pepper, Sprite, Cherry Coke) because I'm about to tear my hair out if I hear you call it a Pop one more time."

It is confusing where the word Pop came from anyway. Does it refer to the "Pop" sound of a cap coming off (On glass bottles) or does it have to do with the carbonation?

Neither... I was brough up with Mom & Dad saying * Skein as SKANE *

Susan

ok ladies (and gentlemen)... i've been wondering.

do you guys say

skINE.......or.........skEEN?

i've got a little german background, so i took german in high school. and i've always said skein with an "eye" sound, because in german, ei=I and ie=E.

but i was wandering though the yarn section of jo-ann the other day, and i heard this woman saying she would need about 4 skeens. i just thought it sounded a little funny.

so how do you pronounce skein, and perhaps why?

• 1 month later...

So many of you pronounce it "skane". I've never heard that before. How fascinating.

I've heard it pronounced "skine", and I was never really sure how it was supposed to be pronounced, but I have always pronounced it "skeen".

Archived