how do you pronounce....

tiffylu7

how do you pronounce skein  

279 members have voted

1. 1. how do you pronounce skein

• sk-INE
    • sk-EEN

ok ladies (and gentlemen)... i've been wondering.

do you guys say

skINE.......or.........skEEN?

i've got a little german background, so i took german in high school. and i've always said skein with an "eye" sound, because in german, ei=I and ie=E.

but i was wandering though the yarn section of jo-ann the other day, and i heard this woman saying she would need about 4 skeens. i just thought it sounded a little funny.

so how do you pronounce skein, and perhaps why?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm the opposite of you. I've always said/heard "skeen" and then the other day I heard someone say "sk-ine" and I thought it sounded wierd. Of course my first thought was that I had been saying it wrong all these years. Never heard the long a version though. :)

I've always said "skane", too. My step-daughter tried to tell me I was incorrect, but I told her it didn't matter really, because I'm going to say it the way I want to anyway.

I say "skine", it is the way grandma said it so that it what I have always done. Grandma came from the Ukraine. That is the way my daughter was taught to say it and so on down the line. No matter how we say it, it still means YARN, YARN and more YARN. :yarn:woo:yarn:woo:yarn:woo

Archived