how do you pronounce skein  

279 members have voted

1. 1. how do you pronounce skein

• sk-INE
    • sk-EEN

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long A here too (skane). Which the dictionary assures me is the correct way. For some reason, my husband thinks it's a hilarious word. He's strange though.

Long A here too (skane). Which the dictionary assures me is the correct way. For some reason, my husband thinks it's a hilarious word. He's strange though.

The Merriam-Webster audio function agrees too. :compute

For some reason, my husband thinks it's a hilarious word.

I have heard other people laugh when they hear the word too. But they couldn't crochet. And I say if you can't do it, you can't laugh about it :rofl.

:cheerDepends if you say, How Now Brown Cow, or Hoo Noo Broon Coo, or High Nigh Brine Cie or Har Nar Brarn Car.
It is all in the way you hold your mouth.

Remember though, it is spelled sk[SIZE=4]EI[/SIZE]n not sk[SIZE=4]IE[/SIZE]n.

What does it matter asl long as we all know what we are talking about.

Call it a [SIZE=4]hank[/SIZE] and you will not have a problem.

Great discussion topic.

Now how do you pronounce [SIZE=4]Boucle[/SIZE] which should have a little thingy over the e.

I say [SIZE=4]Boo Clay[/SIZE].
What about you?

Have fun.
Colleen:hug
You say Bananas, I say Barnarnars, you say Potatoes and I say Potartoes. Potatoes, potartoes, tomatoes, tomartoes......

Ummm neither. I always thought it to be pronounced, "skayne" as in/like saying the word rain or (reign). You know, it has that "ei" thing going on, so that's why I have pronounced it that way :yarn:think

Yeah SabrinaJL, that's what I'm talkin' 'bot. :lol

Neither. I say sk ay n with a long a.

Me too. Now my dear SIL from the south has the long ee pronounciation. And she's a speach pathologist.

:manyheart

Wow, I've always pronounced it skeen, I have never heard of the skane way. I did hear Vanna White one night on the end of Wheel of Fortune when she was debuting her new yarn, Vanna's Choice and she pronounced it skine. Hmmm, I guess no matter how you say it, it translates.

Archived