279 members have voted

1. 1. how do you pronounce skein

• sk-INE
    • sk-EEN

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do the long A thing... My grandma did too until she had her stroke when I was 13. She started to speak german more regularly and pronounce things as a german would speaking english. She did not know any english until she went to school she only knew german as her parents came from germany right before WW1. But after her stroke she said it every which way so people would understand what she meant. Was quite cute if I do say so myself.

• 4 weeks later...

:blinkI pronounce is like skane - rhyming with Shane or pain... :D I must have heard it said that way, but I don't remember where.

Having read the replies above mine, I see others do that as well.

melmac51, I learned how to crochet from a co-worker in downtown New Orleans way back in 1967 and she taught me to pronounce skein as "skane" or "skayne". WordWeb also pronounces it (there's audio) with the long A but spells the pronunciation as "skeyn". I guess in their dictionary "ey" is pronounced as a long A.

I say skayne. (Remember the old phonics rule: "I before E, except after C, or when it sounds like an A, like in neighbor or weigh."?)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived