1. 1. how do you pronounce skein

• sk-INE
    • sk-EEN

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

I too say "skān".

My mother is from Austria and she too has always said it the same way.

Hope this helps.

Another long "a" person here. In fact, that is the only way I had ever heard it pronouced and I have lived all over the US.

But I have to admit, I had never seen SKEIN "spelled" so many different ways until joining online crochet/knit groups! Maybe that should give me a hint that some may say it differently too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

almost embarassed to admit...i must be more "hickish" than i thought.....i dont pronounce it either way!

i say

"i need a thing of yarn"

:eek GASP!!!

• 3 weeks later...
ahaha! exactly! i say a "thing of...." whatever quite frequently. it's my preferred unit of measurement lol!

glad someone else is with me here.HA HA HA HA HA!

• 1 month later...

not gonna sift through 19 pages to see if anyone has already said this,so here it is:

I'm thinkin' about the english word "weigh" that's got "ei" pronounced as "ay." I believe I've always said skein with the long "a" sound as well. Skein sounds like a british word to me anyway--and all those English grammar rules about i before e and whatnot also remind me of Britain.

So there you have it. I before e, except after c and in words like weigh, neighbor, and skein.

I'm from Denmark and Danish is my native tongue (I can't even spell it correct "tongue" my spelling was "tounge"). I could easy think of the German pronounciation. What about "skee in(g)"? I'm not even sure what the word means. Oh, a dictionary is good to have. It's a little ball of yarn.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Skein pronounced with the long A sound here too. Unless my hubby's saying the word.. then it somehow becomes Scone (as in the biscuits).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've always said "skane", too. My step-daughter tried to tell me I was incorrect, but I told her it didn't matter really, because I'm going to say it the way I want to anyway.

I agree with you. Say it how you want. I definitely think it is a regional thing. I say skeen though but I wouldn't try and correct anyone because I wouldn't think they were wrong. A few more that interest me:

Soda or Pop?

Endeeve or Endive salad?

:lol

Archived