What is your most "Prized Possession" in crochet?

froggy

A size 8 steel hook that was my great-grandmothers. I sent my grandmother a crocheted gift and she told me it looked like something her mother would make and that she would be so proud. :blush

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely my hat boxes. I have four at the house right now, with more hanging out at my MIL's house. I picked them up on clearance for 25¢-50¢ each! I use one for storing on-wrapper patterns. I use another for storing my motifs for an afghan I'm picking at. Another is holding my current teacup project. The last one is holding my small, stray yarn balls. I also use it to carry any projects that I want to travel with.

My most prized crochet item would be the afghan my grandmother made me when I was about 10. I still have it and I still sleep with it when Sweetheart isn't here. It's a multi-colored ripple ghan that just keeps getting softer with age. :cloud9 I just :)h it.

~Tricia

My most prized possesion is what my aunt sent me after my daughter was killed. It is an old travel case filled with some carnations my grandma started to crochet. She got ill and passed away and it had been tucked in a closet all these years (nearly 15 years) and now it is mine and I cherish it so much!

Heather

I have about 6 prized possessions -- the hooks my husband whittled for me. Can you believe it? They are out of cherry, walnut, and basswood. He even made a fabulous double-ended one. He makes them sooo smooth and silky. They feel awesome in my hands. :)h

He always gets a kick when he sees me working with one. It all started when I purchased a very expensive wooden hook. I was so excited about it that I was bouncing all over the place. He looked at it and was surprised that something he considered so simple made me so happy. So he made me several. He even made a friend of mine 4 hooks for Christmas. She was stunned speechless. :spina

What can I say -- after 27 years, he is still my heart throb! :heart

Stitchinpick

• 1 month later...

The very first tablecloth my mother ever made and all the stuffed dolls that she created. (She has since passed away). Also my set of Brittany hooks. :knit

• 2 weeks later...

I have a afghan my sister made to match a couch I had during my first marriage. She did it in afghan stitch and them embroidered lillies and other flowers on it to match our decor. I made sure I got it when we split. I love it!

Cheryl

• 1 month later...

You know...my Daddy's mother was the only crocheter in our family. Any kind of needlework for that point. She is the one that originally taught me at age 8 to crochet. I sure wish I had her hooks. She passed away when I was 11 years old. I'm 40 now and it's been a LONG time.

But, my Mom does have 2 afghans that my grandmother crocheted and they are mine when she's ready to give them up. They are just wonderful even after all these years. They are 35-40 years old too! They are some sort of shell stitch with a shell border. One is in a variegated green and the other in a variegated gold.

:hook

My most "prized possession" isn't anything tangible. Rather, it's being able to spend time talking about crochet and working on projects side-by-side with hubby's grandmother and my aunt.

Also, I received a very nice compliment from my grandmother shortly before she passed away. I was working on a baby afghan (still haven't finished it), and she told me I did very nice work. I may never finish that blanket, but the part of it I have is a nice reminder of my grandmother's praise. :manyheart

The crocheted tablecloth my Grandmother made for me. She has long since passed on. She wanted to be sure that every grandchild got one. It reminds me of her. :)

Mmm. That would have to be a two-way tie. One is the pink cloth pouch I keep my hooks in. I made it for my grandma, found it after she died, and it was perfect for my hooks so I keep them in that. It has her initials on it. The other would be a much newer item to me. It's a gorgeous ten inch size J afghan hook given to me recently by Tandy (crochet smartcat). I don't know what brand it is but it's got the best finish I've ever seen on a hook - brilliantly shiney brassy gold, smooth as glass (no texture whatsoever) and that sucker warms to the touch in moments. It's almost too pretty to use.

My most cherished possesion in crochet is My great grandmothers irish crochet tablecloth. I don't have much to remember her by except the beauty of her work and the same love of crochet she had.:rose

I also treasure my collection of antique crochet hooks. :hook

But my most used and loved possesion is my steel boye crochet hooks that I use every day. Don't leave home without them.:c9

Mine is the very first thread tablecloth my Mother ever made given to my Aunt. I didn't even know my Aunt had it until she passed away. As I was cleaning out her house to sell, I came acrossed it. Later when Mom came down to visit, I showed it to her and she started crying, telling me about the tablecloth. Mom let me keep it. Mom has been gone now 5 years and my Aunt 14 years. So this tablecloth means more to me than I can express here. The other items I cherish are the baby afghans I made each of my kids when they were born. I didn't crochet much back then so they are extra special. My kids are grown now (25, 23, 18) and they will each be given their baby afghans when they have their first-born.

Mine is a large crocheted doily that my Great-Grandmother made and put up to be given to me when I got married. I've had it framed and it's on the wall at the front entrance of my house.

Second to that is a crocheted tablecloth that my mother-in-law's aunt had made for her years ago. It had acquired a few holes over time and she had sadly put it up. My husband sneaked it out of her house, I repaired it, and we gave it back to her the next Christmas. Boy, was she surprised and oh so pleased! When she passed away, my husband made sure that he got that tablecloth which I now pull out and use at Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...

My dad made me 3 yarn/thread holders. One is flat with dowels that I can use when using more than one color of thread, one holds 3 large skeins of yarn, and the other is a large shepherd hook looking thing, with a fishing swivel for holding single cones of thread. I use them all the time, and now that he has passed away they are even more special to me.

My most prized possesion is a table cover and afghan that my mom made when I got married 32 years ago. She has been gone for 20 years now, but I remember her with love, every May when I put it on my table with my Angels.:angel

Hmm I thought I had done this one already, but I guess not!

Mine is definitely two doilies that my FBIL (who is a very very dear friend of mine) made me. He was attacked a few years ago and was blinded, and he made them for me after the attack and surprised me with them. One is done with trim in my favorite color and the other with his. :U

:manyheart My most prized possession is a large doily my mum made, in cotton, (not the fine stuff but like 3ply yarn) a couple of years after she had the first stroke in 1996. She made about 6 or 7, with help as it was a very complicated pattern. Some days she would have no problems and others she would have to pull it all back.:eek She kept me busy sorting her out.

Mum finally stopped crocheting last year at the age of 88 and I think she dreams of crocheting because she wakes up looking for her hook. She kept going until her right hand would no longer hold the hook. :hug

I will always cherish my doily.

Mums younger sister is still churning out table cloths and bedspreads etc at the age of 84 and after also suffering a stroke last year. She will probably be crocheting as she draws her last breath.

Colleen.:hug:manyheart

Wow. I can't believe I never posted to this thread lol.

I'd have to say that it's my craft room itself. Being able to have a whole room for my craft related materials (including a couch completely covered with yarn at the moment!) has been wonderful. Gone are the days of cardboard boxes and bags shoved under the bed.

Archived