What is your most "Prized Possession" in crochet?

froggy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently found my prize when going through what was left of my father's shed after Rita. It was a baby blanket my grandmother had crocheted me. She had passed away along time ago..when i was really young. I thought I was the only one in the family that showed any interest in crocheting...It was nice to find someone in my family at one time had enjoyed something I do too.

• 3 weeks later...

It's got to be the J-hook my ma gave me when I started seriously getting into crochet. Not so much the actual hook, but the fact that it was hers for many years. :hug

• 3 weeks later...

My first would have to be the oval tablecloth I finished two years ago. I don't even have a table for it, it hangs in my kitchen window. It is so beautiful. Second would be all my new wooden crochet hooks that I happened to find on ebay one blessed day. Third, a red, yellow and white afghan mom made me when I was nine. It still looks as good as it did all those many years ago.:manyheart

My most prized thing in crochet would have to be a 'scrap-style' ripple afghan that my grandma made. I have pictures of it, with me as a little baby, draped over the back of a couch, so I know it's roughly as old as I am. It has been "patched" in spots by my sister (who doesn't crochet). It was the only thing I got from her that was crochet related and that's only because it was in my side of the family before she died. She died when I was barely 18 and I crocheted, but not so much like I do now.

mine is a table cloth a lady in Mexico made me while we were doing missions last April. She worked all week so I would have it before we returned home. I love it and I get so many remarks on the craftmanship of the tiny stitches!!!

I am a first generation 'hooker';) so I'd guess that I'm pretty in love with my set of wooden hooks that I acquired ~ just really like them a lot! That said, I have an afghan made by my husband's mom (whom I never had the privilege of meeting before she passed) but it is so beautiful and I've so much respect for her work, in quilting and crochet and she was an expert seamstress, so I tell my husband "I'm channeling your mom" when I get to a tricky pattern, and I feel inspired when I look at that little afghan and wondering which babies (she had 7) or grandbabies were at her knee when she was making it...

• 7 months later...

hard to choose... I have an old ivory hook that was my grandmothers...I don't use it...it is in a shadowbox in my sewing room...if you are wanting to know what my most prized piece of work is, it would by my great grandmothers Irish crochet gloves done in very small thread...I actually wore those on several occasions years ago (hands are too big now)...thay also are in the same shadow box.

Mine is a ripple afghan my grandma made me for Christmas when I was about 13 or so. She died when I was 15 and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her (I'm 20 now) and this afghan keeps me remembering her. It's in about 7 different shades of pink and purple and fits my queen size bed perfectly. It's so warm and heavy and I know it took her many MANY hours to do (especially since she made two... one for my cousin as well). She's also the one that taught me to crochet, since no one else in my family does it.

I have a double ended wooden crochet hook that has been passed down through at least 5 generations. You can tell where the hooks are that it was hand carved. Eventually I will pass it down to my youngest daughter as she's the only girl that crochets.

I can tell you what IS going to be my most prized posession. Something I'm crocheting right now! It's a very long hooded cape. I was SO thrilled when I found what should have been just enough yarn (even a little more than enough) and it was PERFECT for the job (bulky, textured, plus something you'd want to wear), and at a price I should have known better for. It turned out to be about 1/3 enough yarn :eek , so I had to write the seller for more. I really, really should have complained more about the misrepresentation of the ad on how much should be on the cones, but I decided to settle for practically free shipping. I'm still kicking myself for not being more obstinant, but oh well - I do adore the yarn, and feel it was worth what I paid for it, even though I'm SO mad, because I did not intend to spend .. well, let's just say over $60 on the yarn! (And that doesn't count shipping, or the pattern leaflet, ugh.) So... this will be the most expensive item I have made, and probably will make for a while! :lol But, I also already treasure it just because of it. Well, hopefully I can post some pics of it before too long.

• 4 months later...

A set of Susan Bates aluminum hooks D thru K, and the little thread hooks, 00,0,5,7,10. They were given to me by my Mom years ago, and I keep a watchful eye not to loose them. Everytime I use them, I think of her!

I have a G hook that was my mom's and somehow I have managed to keep up with it. She taught me with that hook when I was 10, so it's very iimportant. I also have 2 or 3 very old crochet mags that were hers.

mine would have to be the things I was RAoK'd by a lady in the UK at christmas. Actually tatting supplies.. but there are hooks. Although my grandma and great grandma on my dads side did a lot of crochet and knitting, my great gran only died a couple of years ago and my other is still alive. So she has all my great grans things, and of course still uses her own. The items I was sent from the UK are not new, but they're not things I would ever have been able to buy myself. And they belonged to the lady ho sent them. She parted with something of her own to share with me. That says a lot :) I am really honoured she chose me to share with and just love all the bits and pieces, but especially the tiny tiny hooks.

My most prized crochet possession is the baby blanket and pillow my mom made when she was pregnant with me. It is in grey and yellow shells and on one side, the shells are raised in grey, then you flip it over to the other side and the shells are raised in yellow, almost like 3 dimensional. It is in beautiful condition and she is still around at the age of 85 and I am 52, so that gives you an idea of the age of it. The pillow is the matching stitch with a little satin piece on the underside to slip in either a pillow form or stuffing.

My next prized possessions are the starched, ruffled thread dresses that go on dolls that were made by one of my great aunts who died in the 60's.

LI Roe

My MIL had one like that made for my daughter!! i was gonna take a picture of it and see if anyone could tell me where i could find the pattern, on one side it's pink and white with more pink than white and the other side is vice versa!! it's beautiful!

My most prized possession is the size G bone crochet hook that belonged to my great-grandmother that was passed down to my mother and then to me.

My "I'm a Stitchaholic" canvas bag for small to medium travelling WIP's. I got it as a freebie from a needle art company several years ago. It's more than big enough for a pair of socks and dishcloths. It will hold probably 2 RHSS skeins and all the needed accessories to crochet.

mine is a hook my friend Tamra gave me for valentines day when we were in high school. It reminds me about before she got into a bad relationship that has pretty much ruined her as a person, when she could have fun without being made to feel like it was bad to not act like a forty year old housewife.

I would have to say my old hook that I used for making doilies and such years ago. I had it all taped up to stop my fingers from moving too far down the hook. Sadly, I can't say where it is right now. I think it might have ended up in a drawer with pens, or it's in the old tackle box with my other older hooks that I have yet to find. I'm working with new hooks now.

My most prized crochet posessions are the few Boye hooks that Gramma gave me when I first learned to crochet. One of thm has broken, on the tip, and I have no idea how to fix it. I don't think I can,,,,:(

Archived