What is your most "Prized Possession" in crochet?

froggy

Hmm. So many... I guess my most prized possession is the afghan that was begun my mil before she died, and which I finished. It is put aside for my son, who never knew his grandmother.

As to what I personally have, I love my hook that has a picture of my dog on it, and the one with a lighthouse on it. Those are two I take special care of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any hooks or items that were passed down so when I saw the title of this thread I automatically thought of it as a "desert island" sort of situation. In that case my most prized posession would be any of my aluminum hooks, although if I had to choose one it would probably be a double-ended aluminum hook. I think that would be the most versatile in said situation. The size would probably be a J or K so that I'd have a nice range of items to create. As for yarns I suspect that I'd wind-up crocheting what might be the first ever "*coconut cozies" out of palm fronds and "hand-spun yarn" made from the coconut husk of the trees. Lol, of course this would all be after I'd developed some sort of shelter and begun to exhaust all methods for rescue and general survival as well as comfort; think of the tusian crocheted "window coverings" ;). Heh, my imagination is running wild, I'd best curb it here before this becomes too long.

*Coconut Cozies:

For all your coconut transportation needs.

Keep them safe, protected and carry them about the island with ease.

Available in several fun and funky designs to best accent your coconuts of all shapes and sizes.

Lol, and for anyone who can't tell, I am being quite silly and hope this post hasn't offended anyone. I started out with the intention of my reply being a bit tongue-in-cheek but as posts often do it chose it's own road and turned out silly. I decided to go ahead and post it since it was my honest answer--just with a healthy dose of my natural personality included.

Best wishes,

Holiday

Mine is an aluminum size G crochet hook that my Great-Aunt Frances gave to me when I was about 11 years old. I still have it and use it frequently and one day when Sarah decides she wants to crochet, I will give it to her, my own heirloom. :)

Melannie

My prized possession is the rainbow afghan that my grandmother made me when I was confirmed. Since she is no longer here, I feel she helps me, because I learn new stitches, by trying to copy some of the ones she did.

Guest Crafterlady46

My most prized possession in crochet is my glasses. If I don't wear them I don't crochet. ;) It would have to be my glasses case, it holds all 44 crochet hooks I own. I have another 20 or so coming in the mail, I don't think they will fit in the case.

Priscilla

I haven't received it yet; but someday I will inherit it. It's a glass Alka seltzer bottle that my mother keeps her most used crochet hooks in. I have a lot of memories watching my mom pull her hooks out of it and create lots of wonderful items. She did give me an aluminum G Bates hook.. that she told me I could borrow (approx 10 years ago).. I still am borrowing it. :hook

My most prized possessions are the things that have been passed on to me. I've been really lucky--I have two crafty grandmothers and a crafty mother... I don't think I've ever bought a hook. ;)

On the top of the list, though:

- a wooden carrying case that holds all of my grandmother's knitting and crocheting goodies

- the same grandmother's steel hooks

- a *ton* of thread from my great-grandmother's collection. She made zillions of doilies, all sorts with flowers and ruffles. I inherited her doily books, too. I haven't used the thread yet... I'm afraid that I won't do it justice. :/

Hi! I envy the others who have inherited hooks from their grandmothers! My :grandma used to crochet, knit, and did anything crafty. I know she bought the best tools she sees abroad. But she had 15 children (my mom included), and we seldom see her. When she passed away in '94, I forgot to ask about crochet tools from my aunt who lived with her. But now I'm thinking, maybe I could still ask, there might still be something left for me. :think

From what I bought myself, my most prized possession would be my Tulip crochet hooks.:hook These were imported from Japan, and back then in the '80's I see them on sale here at affordable prices and invested in several diff. sizes of aluminum and steel. Now I dont see them on sale anymore, and if ever I do, I know they will be priced way way high than I got them before!:thumbdown

Thanks for reading this! :waving

• 3 weeks later...

That has to be my Great Grandmothers' steel size 16 crochet hook, and a tiny one my grandpa whittled out of a toothbrush handle.

On my knitting stuff; it's my set of ivory knitting needles ( size 9 ) hands down !

I kept the hook my friend gave me when she taught me to crochet. It's just a plain red Boye aluminum hook but it meant so much that she took the time to teach me AND gave me the hook (I didn't know her all that well then, but we've become great freinds, no doubt due to the hours we would sit around and chat while we crocheted). I plan on framing it and hanging it on the wall.

In looking through my grandmothers things after she passed away I found her old hooks and case :manyheart They don't get used much as I keep them for remembrance sake more than anything else, but they mean the world to me :c9

Mine is my grandma's steel hooks and the big old straw bag (it's actually a purse) that used to keep them in! It's a really pretty bag and she's had it as long as i remember. Now if i had her buttons collection i'd be all set :) . Pixie

I dont have an item(s), but the stories of family long gone and the childhood memories my grandmother shared while teaching me to crochet. I recall them sometimes and laugh like a freak!

There were no books or hooks to pass along.

• 1 month later...

One of mine would be my F hook that was originally my aunt's, she gave it to me after she taught me how to crochet on it. The other would be the rest of my hooks - my older brother gave me a set of steel thread hooks and a set of silvalume (sp?) aluminum hooks for my birthday. :)

I have to say what i prize most is my husband who will go yarn shopping with me and helps me find patterns and coordainating colors. He loves showing off what I make.

second is a bunch of old magazing from my mom. She knits (I never could figure out how to knit.) but had a lot of mags with crochet and knit patterns. I also have 2 hooks hubby bought me for gifts from Greydog off ebay one j wood hook with a tigerseye color swirl and a 10 thread hook jeweled in purple.

• 4 weeks later...

My "most" prized is an old purse full of my late mother-in-laws hooks and markers and other crochet paraphenalia. Second is my cherry wood G hook (20 bucks!!! I had ot have it, though!

• 2 weeks later...

i have my first hook...my mom (who taught me) gave it to me. it's a blue boye F hook, and my wood hooks which were a gift from my hubby for my last b-day...they're so special cause he knew i wanted wood hooks, but had give up on getting any cause of the expense, and he worked an extra shift so he could get me a whole set in a case (this was all his idea...i was soo surprised i cried)

• 2 weeks later...

When I first saw this thread, all that I could think about was how my grandma told me about the wonderful things that her mother had made that she (my grandma) abused and ended up throwing away... (my grandma is the most wonderful human being alive but she never appreciated the beautiful things her mother made)

Then, the other day, I was sitting and chatting with Grandma and she says, "Oh, I found something the other day that fell behind some stuff in the closet. I thought I'd thrown it away years ago..."

She hands me the most beautiful peice of thread crochet. Not sure what it was meant to be, probably a table runner or scarf. It's about 36" long and about 12"tall... I'm going to frame it for putting on the wall over my couch. The work is flawless and it is in excellent condition. She also gave me her mom's old steel hooks. I started crying - and Grandma just laughed and thought, all those things I've thrown away!

I am so happy to have this treasure!:c9

Archived