What is your most "Prized Possession" in crochet?

froggy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grandma made a baby blanket for me, when I was born. It's got pink flowers, green leaves, and a white background, made from many identical squares. The blanket is crocheted from a soft yarn so thin and so tightly stitched that you can only see the DC stitches around the edges where it's joined. It's amazing.

I don't remember having ever seen it - obviously, I couldn't remember using it as a baby, and it was put away soon thereafter - until I had my own baby. My grandma had passed away about a year before, and my mom gave it to me. I didn't use it; it's folded and hanging in the closet.

My grandma was the one who taught me to crochet. What a wonderful inspiration!

I no longer have it, as it was a gift. A friend of the family was dying from lung cancer (this was about 15 years ago) and the thought of him not being around was more than I could bear (I was around 18). I spent many a late night crocheting hexagonal motifs and sewing them together. He and his family lived in Nebraska (I'm in Illinois), so we didn't get to see him often. On one of his last visits here, I presented it to him. I never knew if he appreciated it or not, but from what I understand, his wife (also a friend) still has it. It was truly a labor of love. It was a great distraction from the fact that he was soon to be gone forever.

What I prize the most are the crocheted tablecloths and doilies made by my maternal grandmom and my mom. I have two full-sized cloths, all starched and nice. My mom made one especially for me and I inherited one of my grandmom's. I love the smell and feel of the starched cloths and doilies.

Rosemary

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 things that I prize a great deal. One is the standing bag that my Mom used to use when she knit and the blankets that I made for my parents. They're both gone now but I still have them and have memories of them covering their legs on chilly winter nights with what I made. Sadly, all the crochet hooks that I had from my grandmother were lost in the many moves that I made :( Otherwise, those would be on my list of prized things too.

I haven't inherited any crochet items or anything like that as I'm the first to crochet, so my prize possession is the silliest thing. I taught myself with a kit that I got summer 2004 when my bf and I were spending a week at my family's cabin in New Mexico. I have a lot of good childhood memories in that cabin, and there's a very likely chance it's going to get sold because no one really uses it anymore (except we did last summer and this summer!). Anyway, my prized possession is about a 3 inch row of crochet, the very first thing I ever tried to do out of that book. I think it's maybe a row of sc and then ss. It's nothing special, of course, but it's meaningful to me because I taught myself a craft that I'm truly loving, plus it brings back wonderful memories of our vacation and the cabin in general. I keep it in my jewelry box. :manyheart

I have a little doily made by my grandmother. She passed away when I was 9 or 10. I found the doily amongst her things when I was a teenager and kept it. She is the main reason why I crochet with thread. My mother has an old fashioned cabinet of hers with all her threads and UFO's and things in it and I would always scavange around in it. My mother doesn't crochet much so it always fascinated me. Somehow, when I crochet with thread, it makes me feel closer to my grandmother who I barely knew.

This doily is not your typical doily and I don't think it is even finished but it is pretty and I think it is done with 20 or 30 thread. Quite small and beautiful work.

• 4 weeks later...

hmmm. I too am the first in our family to crochet. (unless Mum made that crochet dress I was wearing at the zoo in um...'73 or so)

So, for me, I'd have to say that foremost, my prize possession, is the computer/access to the internet - without which I wouldn't be doing anything. :eek

Second prize possession is knowledge. I hope I never forget how to crochet, or even forget that I knew how. :think Knowledge is something I CAN pass on.

My most prized possession that I have is a granny square vest that my grandmother made for me back in the late 60's early 70's, along with the letter that she wrote when she sent it to me. :manyheart

I don't have any inherited stuff... I do have a beautiful afghan that my aunt made me for my first wedding.... It was the first thing I grabbed when I was packing to leave the little twerp. So that is my only crocheted treasure.

as for tools, at this very moment the only real 'prize' I have is my first crochet impulse buy. The first in a long line of "I know I do not need it but I WILL have it" items. lol

It is a blue H Boye hook. I already had a purple one but I wanted the blue. lol.

And Crochetville is the only place I can openly admit that such a thing is a treasure to me and not have people thinking I'm a complete lunatic :D

Since crochet skipped a generation in my family, I didn't really get any "prized possesions" from any relatives. I think my most prized possesion is the time that I get together with a group of ladies and everyone works on whatever craft they are doing. This usually happens once a month and it's a great way to get some of those WIPs done:c9

I like a lot of things that I have made, and have accumulated pertaianing to my crochet,

But I would have to say that one of the very first things (and there are two) that came to mind when I read the header: What is Your most "Prized Possession" were

1. My eyes Flippie%20_Glubsch.gif

2. My hands action-smiley-033.gif

I have read seen so many threads and post where folks have trouble with their hands and wrist from crocheting (repetative motion--tendons). I am thankful that this has never been a problem for me. I sometimes think that maybe when I learned to crochet, I did so loose---how I learned----this could be why, because my fingers and hands are always relaxed when I crochet.

And as for the eyes, they started down the age old road of the need for glasses a few years back (at age 43). I can see to crochet without them, but not not near as good as I can with them. I have never renewed the perscription from then til now, but really do need to. My site has went just a wee bit past the need to now.

So this is what I now consider at this time in my life to be my most "Prized Possession" when it comes to my crochet

most cherished is the blanket my mom made for me...i was about 6 and picked out the yarn "all by myself" lol its candy pink n firetruck red ripple...a coouple years later my grandma taught me the granny square and i always had my blankie with me...

My aluminium hook I got when I first started crocheting, as a part of a starter kit at school :P

But I enjoy the fact that I have a wide range of hooks imensly as well, that is important to me, because it shows I have worked on lots of different things :)

• 2 weeks later...

My grandma crocheted but I never knew that she did till after she passed away.There are a couple of fillet work pillow corners that she did and my dad has promised to give them to me. I can't wait !

I'm the only crocheter on both sides of the family now.I taught myself two years ago.I have receieved yarns and hooks from my online friends from the US and those are my prized possessions in crochet.

Mine is a plastic crochet hook case that my mom bought me before she passed away, she had bought it when I first started out crocheting so many moons ago, a long, long time ago. You can tell it's wore out, but I still cherish it to this day.....Thank you mama :manyheart

I have a beautiful crocheted tablecloth made by my grandmother. Someone borrowed it and it was damaged. I need to get it out and look at it and see if I can have it repaired. My gramma's been gone 10 years and she made it at least 25 years before that.

Archived