Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Since I did the two inchers that baby took, I'll replace those! I'll take the four inch as well. I'll get them out tomorrow or Saturday. :)

Another GRANNY-HERO from Yarn Hill has come forth, and now Cindy will have her missing ones!!!!!!!!!! Check with Cindy, I think it's one four inch, and one two inch!! THank you KIM!! :cheer:manyheart

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is the almost-finished ghan! As you can see, I'm missing two 6-in, one 4-in, and one 2-in. I've already bordered around most of it but when I get the rest of the squares, after I finish bordering, I think I'm gonna go back around with a reverse sc.

(I figured out what happened with one of my 6-in and why I have an extra 8-in. I had a 7-in that I counted as a 6-in but then forgot that and put it in as an 8-in. Oops!)

Cindy, how are you putting your squares together?

LOL! I need to go to the Hobby Lobby here in BR, a couple weeks ago they had a TON of yarn on clearance. Hopefully there is still some there and they have some cotton in there. I usually use the I Love This Cotton, but have started using the Sugar N Cream lately. I usually get that on sale at Michaels. My Pastor said I was a Yarnaholic!!! :lol

I've noticed a lot of people are clearencing out their cotton yarn.

LOL. Yeah, I told my pastor it was better to be a yarnaholic than an chocoholic (that adds inches to the waist, not the squares!). LOL. He said there is nothing wrong with being a yarnaholic!! I don't think I could stop right now if I wanted to! At least most of it is being used up and I plan on making my money making things!!! My pastor's wife and I talked about starting up a "classroom" where we teach people in the church how to crochet, sew, make jewelry, floral arrangements, she makes bows and stuff as well!

As for the floral square, I can't believe I made it this morning before I went to work! I am trying to pick up speed in my crocheting, you know, practice makes perfect!! I have more I want to work on, but not sure what I can do after the 18th! I have another pastor friend who is having a book she wrote put into a movie and I am going to be helping her write it into the pilot, go over the contracts from the production company, as well as be one of the actors in it!!! I am excited! Crocheting might just have to be put aside for a few! I know, GASP!!!!!! :eek

Hello! everyone ~ :hook

Well, it's been awhile since I was last here. I was so hoping that I would be able to still be a part of this group even tho I had to sacrifice my internet service, but alas . . . it's not to be. I'm going to have to say "Good-bye".

Hubby has been having some health issues we've been trying to find the cause for over this past year and a half. After his last surgery 4 wks ago, the test results showed he has Hodgkin's lymphoma (cancer), so will now be taking chemo treatments to cure it over the next 6 months. That is good news, too, that Hodgkin's is cureable. It's the lesser of the cancers to have.

I will truly miss each of you. This has been a great group of folks ~ :hug Take care, ya hear?

Well, it's been awhile since I was last here. I was so hoping that I would be able to still be a part of this group even tho I had to sacrifice my internet service, but alas . . . it's not to be. I'm going to have to say "Good-bye".

Hubby has been having some health issues we've been trying to find the cause for over this past year and a half. After his last surgery 4 wks ago, the test results showed he has Hodgkin's lymphoma (cancer), so will now be taking chemo treatments to cure it over the next 6 months. That is good news, too, that Hodgkin's is cureable. It's the lesser of the cancers to have.

I will truly miss each of you. This has been a great group of folks ~ :hug Take care, ya hear?

Carole, I pm'd you, please come back when you can, and know our thoughts and prayers will always include you and yours....:yes please keep in touch......

Ladies, don't pat ME on the back for the ghan looking beautiful. Y'all are the ones that did the fancy work! I'm just stitching all of your hard work together!

Since I did the two inchers that baby took, I'll replace those! I'll take the four inch as well. I'll get them out tomorrow or Saturday. :)

Yay! You're my granny hero! I only need a 4 inch and a 2 inch (i found one of the missing ones). Could you make the 2 inch with that yellow yarn you used? (what brand is it, btw? I don't recognize the texture). The reason I ask for the yellow is because I have 1 blue and 1 blue-and-yellow so an all yellow one would fit in perfect since they are all in a row. Yes, I am OCD like that! You're awesome! :manyheart

Cindy, how are you putting your squares together?

Here's what I did...I counted how many squares I had of each size. Then I got 2 sheets of graph paper. With each square of the graph representing 2"x2", I traced out each square, colored them (different color for each size), and cut them out. With the second sheet of paper, I cut out the size I wanted the afghan to be. Then I played Tetris until all the squares fit on there. I am a bit OCD so there is a pattern to my layout. I don't know if you can tell. I glued the squares in place and used that as my guide.

Next, I sc around each and every square. Then, using my guide, I whipstitched the squares together. I wish I would have noticed sooner that there are 5 sections to my ghan and finished each section before stitching them together. Working on one big ghan is HOT work! After it was all stitched together, I did a round of sc around the entire thing. Next, I will do a round of reverse sc.

Ladies, don't pat ME on the back for the ghan looking beautiful. Y'all are the ones that did the fancy work! I'm just stitching all of your hard work together!

Yay! You're my granny hero! I only need a 4 inch and a 2 inch (i found one of the missing ones). Could you make the 2 inch with that yellow yarn you used? (what brand is it, btw? I don't recognize the texture). The reason I ask for the yellow is because I have 1 blue and 1 blue-and-yellow so an all yellow one would fit in perfect since they are all in a row. Yes, I am OCD like that! You're awesome! :manyheart

Here's what I did...I counted how many squares I had of each size. Then I got 2 sheets of graph paper. With each square of the graph representing 2"x2", I traced out each square, colored them (different color for each size), and cut them out. With the second sheet of paper, I cut out the size I wanted the afghan to be. Then I played Tetris until all the squares fit on there. I am a bit OCD so there is a pattern to my layout. I don't know if you can tell. I glued the squares in place and used that as my guide.

Next, I sc around each and every square. Then, using my guide, I whipstitched the squares together. I wish I would have noticed sooner that there are 5 sections to my ghan and finished each section before stitching them together. Working on one big ghan is HOT work! After it was all stitched together, I did a round of sc around the entire thing. Next, I will do a round of reverse sc.

Well just wow! that's a lot of work!! You did all that, just to make us look good!!!!~~ you are a gem!! nice work everyone!!

:ghug

Sorry you are leaving us Carole. Glad to hear that Hubby is now getting proper treatment. Thanks for the squares you sent to me for Felicia's blanket, I'll remember you :)

Take care,

Your friend in the UK :hug

You got it! Yellow it is! It was a one pound skein of Caron brand. The color is Jonquil. I just love yellow. It's so bright and cheery. Hubby always laughs because I always think kitchens should be yellow - or at least have a lot of yellow dishtowels! :)

Oh, and I'm totally OCD, so making the colors coordinate - I can definitely appreciate! :) If you have any requests for the 4 incher, please let me know. If I have the colors in my stash, I'll be happy to take requests! :) Making the last few, I want them to tie in well.

I'll get the squares out ASAP! :)

Here is the almost-finished ghan! As you can see, I'm missing two 6-in, one 4-in, and one 2-in. I've already bordered around most of it but when I get the rest of the squares, after I finish bordering, I think I'm gonna go back around with a reverse sc.

(I figured out what happened with one of my 6-in and why I have an extra 8-in. I had a 7-in that I counted as a 6-in but then forgot that and put it in as an 8-in. Oops!)

Major Wooot factor!!!!!!:cheer I did a hexi ghan last summer and thought it would be a good idea to stitch pces together while watching TV at night....NOT!!!! Between the hot flashes and that ghan on me it was not fun! :hot It is looking amazing!

Come on Viking....you know you want to join us!:yes

You got it! Yellow it is! It was a one pound skein of Caron brand. The color is Jonquil. I just love yellow. It's so bright and cheery. Hubby always laughs because I always think kitchens should be yellow - or at least have a lot of yellow dishtowels! :)

Oh, and I'm totally OCD, so making the colors coordinate - I can definitely appreciate! :) If you have any requests for the 4 incher, please let me know. If I have the colors in my stash, I'll be happy to take requests! :) Making the last few, I want them to tie in well.

I love yellow! It's my favorite color. It reminds me of sunshine :c9. When I was in bootcamp (I was in the Navy for 5 years) my nickname was Sunshine. I swear, I was the only one that didn't get yelled at or punished for smiling! I'm not as sunshiney as I used to be. That makes me sad. But, yellow is still my favorite color.

I don't know what color to ask for so...surprise me! You can look at the pic of my ghan and deside for yourself what color(s) I need. The 4-incher is going on the right in the center next to the two 2-in squares. The 6-inchers that Katie is making are going to go directly above and below it.

Oh I miss my graph paper :cry It's packed away. One day I will get it back!

LOL. Yeah, I told my pastor it was better to be a yarnaholic than an chocoholic (that adds inches to the waist, not the squares!). LOL. He said there is nothing wrong with being a yarnaholic!! I don't think I could stop right now if I wanted to! At least most of it is being used up and I plan on making my money making things!!! My pastor's wife and I talked about starting up a "classroom" where we teach people in the church how to crochet, sew, make jewelry, floral arrangements, she makes bows and stuff as well!

As for the floral square, I can't believe I made it this morning before I went to work! I am trying to pick up speed in my crocheting, you know, practice makes perfect!! I have more I want to work on, but not sure what I can do after the 18th! I have another pastor friend who is having a book she wrote put into a movie and I am going to be helping her write it into the pilot, go over the contracts from the production company, as well as be one of the actors in it!!! I am excited! Crocheting might just have to be put aside for a few! I know, GASP!!!!!! :eek

Wow! Our own celebrity. Congrats!:cheer

Good morning all.....I'm just so glad it is Friday!

kuddles

Good morning! TGIF indeed!! It's been a long week. I took my littles to a splash pad yesterday at a nearby park. We were only there an hour or so, but wow, it really drained me. Leaving was so hectic. Trying to get four shoes on four dried off feet that want to keep going over to water again while holding two hands is something else. As we were walking out, both girls, holding my hands, one on each side, we're looking down just saying "no, no, no, no". They weren't yelling or causing a scene. Just sad to have to go. They had a blast but it was hard on me with two.

however, DH and I were given awesome seats to a baseball game tonight. So that will be fun. Just wish the Astros were as fun to watch as they used to be! :)

What was the highlight of your week?

Good morning all.....I'm just so glad it is Friday!

kuddles

I can so relate to this one and thank goodness I am not on-call this weekend! :D

LOL, then you would LOVE my kitchen!!! It is full of yellow and white and green, with LOTS of SUNFLOWERS!!! I think kitchens should be yellow as well!!!

What was the highlight of your week?

I went to an expectant mother event at a huge mother and baby store not far away. Lots of people to talk to about all kinds of stuff in the region which was good but the highlight occured when my Mum and I went to leave the store they called out raffle ticket numbers to win some great prizes... and my number came out for 1st Prize!!!!!! I won a bottle steralizer kit plus 4x2 sized bottles, with a warmer, insulating bags etc. The kit is worth something like £75 ($115). I couldn't believe my luck!!!

trying to adjust to hook size G and H again,can't believe how much working with that N hook for 8 months has thrown off my gauge

If I'm doing 8 inch its coming out 71/2,my six inchers are 7,have to get back in the zone

I went to an expectant mother event at a huge mother and baby store not far away. Lots of people to talk to about all kinds of stuff in the region which was good but the highlight occured when my Mum and I went to leave the store they called out raffle ticket numbers to win some great prizes... and my number came out for 1st Prize!!!!!! I won a bottle steralizer kit plus 4x2 sized bottles, with a warmer, insulating bags etc. The kit is worth something like £75 ($115). I couldn't believe my luck!!!

Wow, Congrats!!!!! I know all that stuff will come in real handy, real soon!!!

Wow! Our own celebrity. Congrats!:cheer

LOL. Thanks! I have never acted before but she wants me to be the Sunday School teacher. She wants to use people in the church since that is pretty much what the book is about. I know she said Bravo, WE, O and I think Lifetime were all at the meeting she had. Not sure what production company she is dealing with, though. I will let everyone know as it gets finished!

Good Afternoon!

I just want to post a small apology! I know that I have not been all that active & around much! I have alot going on & I am trying to get things squared away. I promise I will try to be around more often! I am currently trying to get ready to start working again. Please know that if anyone has sent me any squares that I have gotten them & that I love every single one of them. My son loves to play with them as well. Please keep send them to me & I am also hoping that one day I will be able to start sending squares myself.

Archived