Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Wow on the snow Krieke! I have seen snow once in my life. We have to go two hours away into the mountains, called Barrington Tops, to see it. My car is not 4WD but one day I want my kids to see snow.

I have one round of my second square to finish, plus one more square for Linda. Then I need to rework Lee's squares and send them out with Mady's square that has been sitting here forever waiting for a spare $30 to be sent.

wow Paula, that is expensive there, why 30 dollars, why is that so high, i thought postage was high here, but sheesh!! :think

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the last of my squares! The two 8-inchers are from snowflake for the KISS swap. The 4 and 2 inch ones are from MrsMcKee. There is supposed to be 2 more 2-inch squares (both are blue and yellow) in the pic but the baby ran off with them and I can't find them. I hope they turn up soon! I"m 2/3 of the way done stitching the ghan together!

Anyway, thank you ladies so much. I love every single square I have received. Everyone who has seen the ghan coming together says it is amazing and looks like stained glass or something. My MIL thinks I should put it up for display! Nah, I think I will snuggle up with it. It will be like getting a hug from around the world.

I'll BBL to post pics of the finished product...

post-48303-135897771878_thumb.jpg

post-48303-135897771882_thumb.jpg

Can't wait to see the finished ghan Cindy!!

Katy- Usually when I send squares it is under $10 sometimes under $5. It depends how many are in there and how big they are. The last lot I sent out, all my envelopes cost $12 each. Mady's package has a zippy bag of Aussie candy made up for her and each of her four siblings. If it is over 500g (which it is), the US Government charges us a security fee of around $10 on top of postage. So it rises our prices right up.

Hi ya all, got a question i thought I would run by all of you..:think

To be able to qualify for biggest square, would you think that the person would have to be accepting squares, not just in for instance, like me Im just sending, (i never put my name in the hat) but someone that actually needs to collect to start or finish an afghan?? Woudln't matter to me if it were her first or her fifth as long as she is collecting, she is elligible, right??? Lemme know, when you can, thanks! :manyheart

Okay,this seems like a trick question. If a person is not on the list as collecting squares they must not need or want any(more) so no point putting their name in the hat for biggest square. After all if they wanted squares that would be reflected on the list. I have never been on the list but have mailed out squares to everyone that has ever been on it except for our newest additions. I would never expect to be put in the drawing for the biggest square......I am not collecting them. Now technically this was to be for friendship-ghans and to me that implies you are collecting squares to make one for yourself to keep but it doesn't really matter to me if they are on their first, fifth or collecting for themselves, their child, a friend, etc, it is a request for squares. Besides we really don't know what happens to the squares we mail anyway. We don't really need to get into "policing" where or how the squares are being used. Case in point we do have a person on the list that was on the list when the CAL first started. She finished her ghan and dropped off the list but is now collecting again and is listed as a new member. Back then when people had all the squares they needed they were dropped off the list. But I like the idea of keeping their names on the list with the note no more needed because it shows what we have accomplished.

Well DH and I are still on the job hunt. I think though that perhaps I should just become a "Professional Application Filler Outter" You supply me with your info and apps, and I'll fill them out for you Haha!!

I'm currently making a square for someone :). Trying out a pattern from the 99 Granny Squares to Crochet book.

Hi ya all, got a question i thought I would run by all of you..:think

To be able to qualify for biggest square, would you think that the person would have to be accepting squares, not just in for instance, like me Im just sending, (i never put my name in the hat) but someone that actually needs to collect to start or finish an afghan?? Woudln't matter to me if it were her first or her fifth as long as she is collecting, she is elligible, right??? Lemme know, when you can, thanks! :manyheart

I agree Katy, I just don't see a point if they don't want squares.

Hi all, wow! Im so excited. My heart is pounding at a rate of one million per minute! I'm scared that I will get a heart attack. Its snowing SNOW. For the first time in my life I see snow. (i'm 54) O.K. admit it is only a very light dusting of snow, but who cares. We danced in it for the few minutes it lasted. Hope to get more, but no, just checked, the sun is coming out again.

What a lovely surprise!!

wow Karin! Snow is fun to play in, so long as it doesn't last too long, and isnt too cold outside to boot!!

Thanks for the opinions, I think you're right, so there goes a requirement, gotta be actively collecting, otherwise, why would you want to be elligble for biggest square?

So it shall be done.

On to more biz at hand, weather here, normal, hot, maybe a few sprinkles later on, but nothing to count on! Trees and grass are in dormant stages now, too late to save them this year, hottest 7 months in Nebraska history, and July took the prize for the hottest month EVER in Nebraska....I really suspect this is a precursor to what might soon become our normal from here on out...

How is everyone coming on thier pledges, and did everyone fullfill thier pledges for Lee last month, I still have not heard, it's like he dropped off the face of the planet, I hope all is ok. those of you that may have an inside track to Lee, please let us know, if you know when and if he will be back? thanks......

Pizza here, gotta run, keep cool!!

We've had nicer weather here the last few days; 80s with it actually getting down into the 50s last night.

I did get my square out to Lee. Hope he got it.

Here are the last of my squares! The two 8-inchers are from snowflake for the KISS swap. The 4 and 2 inch ones are from MrsMcKee. There is supposed to be 2 more 2-inch squares (both are blue and yellow) in the pic but the baby ran off with them and I can't find them. I hope they turn up soon! I"m 2/3 of the way done stitching the ghan together!

Anyway, thank you ladies so much. I love every single square I have received. Everyone who has seen the ghan coming together says it is amazing and looks like stained glass or something. My MIL thinks I should put it up for display! Nah, I think I will snuggle up with it. It will be like getting a hug from around the world.

These are lovely!! Can't wait to see your finished Ghan!:clap

Okay,this seems like a trick question. If a person is not on the list as collecting squares they must not need or want any(more) so no point putting their name in the hat for biggest square. After all if they wanted squares that would be reflected on the list. I have never been on the list but have mailed out squares to everyone that has ever been on it except for our newest additions. I would never expect to be put in the drawing for the biggest square......I am not collecting them. Now technically this was to be for friendship-ghans and to me that implies you are collecting squares to make one for yourself to keep but it doesn't really matter to me if they are on their first, fifth or collecting for themselves, their child, a friend, etc, it is a request for squares. Besides we really don't know what happens to the squares we mail anyway. We don't really need to get into "policing" where or how the squares are being used. Case in point we do have a person on the list that was on the list when the CAL first started. She finished her ghan and dropped off the list but is now collecting again and is listed as a new member. Back then when people had all the squares they needed they were dropped off the list. But I like the idea of keeping their names on the list with the note no more needed because it shows what we have accomplished.

Ha, yes, trick question! Yes, you are right, they must be collecting to be a biggest square winner. And on the list as collecting squares.

I have only been here the 3 months, and am not aware of anyone being on earlier, and then being dropped, unless they didn't answer the pms or emails I asked them when I first took over, so I figure, if they got bumped by me, sorry, but I did email or pm EVERYONE on the old list about verifying, and such, or run the risk of being bumped.

I wanted to start with a clean slate. Anything that happened before I stepped in, I really can't comment on anyway.

Friendship ghan, can mean anything, we do not, nor will we ever dictate to anyone what or whom they use the squares they are requesting for. That is just not our business. I believe you agree on that as well..

So far, only a couple people have requested to be removed, as they are finsihed with their ghan, or life got in their way and they aren't participating anymore. Those that are still participating in sending, and such, are marked on the list as No more needed at this time. Pending a decision by them, if they want to collect for another ghan or just keep making and sending.

I just like you, don't collect for the time being, but continue to send, and everyone does so appreciate your generosity Brenda. You do such lovely work! Thank you.

well, that was a silly question after all, maybe it wasn't worded right, but I did have a person that asked, so I thought I would take a poll, lol thanks for your imput, appreciate your thoughts, and your continuing participation! :hug

:hug

wow, you are moving right along! Can't wait to see it either!!

Can't wait to see the finished ghan Cindy!!

Katy- Usually when I send squares it is under $10 sometimes under $5. It depends how many are in there and how big they are. The last lot I sent out, all my envelopes cost $12 each. Mady's package has a zippy bag of Aussie candy made up for her and each of her four siblings. If it is over 500g (which it is), the US Government charges us a security fee of around $10 on top of postage. So it rises our prices right up.

Ill just never understand the postal service, sigh...........

I never heard back from Lee on the squares I sent him.....you always want to know something arrived!

ooooo Katie, pizza!

kuddles

ha, yeah, it was good, made me so thirsty though!

and yeah, I agree, nice to hear something has arrived! :hug

with the talk of snow and fireflies

in 1979 when we lived in Maryland,I was so excited that I was going to get to see those flowering cherry trees,that were a gift from the Japanese, in Wash.DC I was really bummed, when we had a big wind storm,bam no more blossoms to see.

we moved the next year....wait for it.... to Japan,so all was not lost and I got to see those beautiful trees afterall.

with the talk of snow and fireflies

in 1979 when we lived in Maryland,I was so excited that I was going to get to see those flowering cherry trees,that were a gift from the Japanese, in Wash.DC I was really bummed, when we had a big wind storm,bam no more blossoms to see.

we moved the next year....wait for it.... to Japan,so all was not lost and I got to see those beautiful trees afterall.

wow, you have been everywhere! I have a flowering tree in my front yard, not too sure what it is, the blossoms are whitish though, and have seen the pink ones, they are gorgeous! How you doing on your hats??? done yet, lol

wow, you have been everywhere! I have a flowering tree in my front yard, not too sure what it is, the blossoms are whitish though, and have seen the pink ones, they are gorgeous! How you doing on your hats??? done yet, lol

so close on the hats,6 more rows on hat 20,but it will have to wait till tomorrow,after a 12:30 bedtime last nite,I'm dragging now and the eyes are going squirrelly

Oh no! Hope baby gives them back to you! Lol. That's cute. Those other two weren't easy to do with the color changes on such a small square. Lots of tails to weave in. 4 different sections on a two inch square. Of course, if baby has decided they make better toys than squares for the ghan, let me know. I'd be happy to let baby keep them and send you replacements! :)

Thank you Estee for the squares I received this morning! They are great! :manyheart:hug

[ATTACH]57606[/ATTACH]

ohhh yay, now how many more, in what sizes, to finish, cause I will sent them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no! Hope baby gives them back to you! Lol. That's cute. Those other two weren't easy to do with the color changes on such a small square. Lots of tails to weave in. 4 different sections on a two inch square. Of course, if baby has decided they make better toys than squares for the than, let me know. I'd be happy to let baby keep them and send you replacements! :)

Ha, i said the same thing, just make more, and let her have them, she is precious!

so close on the hats,6 more rows on hat 20,but it will have to wait till tomorrow,after a 12:30 bedtime last nite,I'm dragging now and the eyes are going squirrelly

:cheeryou are coming right down to the wire on the hats Linda, lol, but you can do it!! we cant' have you working so hard you are ruining your eyesite missy! :no

I have been making some baby hats for a couple charities here on the thread, which reminds me, if you have a special project like collecting hats or scarves for the homeless, or squares for making blankees for a shelter or something, that is YOUR project, with the thread started by you, I will put up a shortcut to your thread announcing that, on the first post after your name like, i dunno, ( more Info here.) and that will lead to your thread if you like. :devil You will not be allowed to post trying to collect scarves or hats, or anything like that,as that is what your thread is for, but people will be able to see your charity and go to your thread to find out more about it, if you chose to have it entered on our first post.

It has to be your project, and you have to be active and participating on this thread .I have already added the shortcut to a couple so check out the first post for that info....... If you would prefer not to have that listed here on the first page next to your name and info, please excuse my blunder, and pm me and I will remove it asap. thanks all...

:manyheart

I had been hankering to use some cotton, only see ONE PERSON on the list collecting cotton squares,,,,,,,hummmm 1 plus 1 equals 2 Squares going out!!!!!!!!!! Heads up cotton lover!!!!!!!!! :cheer:clap

Thank you Estee for the squares I received this morning! They are great! :manyheart:hug

[ATTACH]57606[/ATTACH]

im loving those squares! Great work Estee!That little green one with the purple frilly flower is my go to square when someone wants a flower, lol I love making them, and they turn out so darn cute!

Well, one of the squares turned up. I have no idea where the other one is though! :think With that child, the possibilities are endless. I swear I have no idea how she could even reached them. What, did she levitate? Did I have a child with Stretch Armstrong and I didn't know it? :P For now, I'm able to work around the little 2"x2" hole.....:blink

ohhh yay, now how many more, in what sizes, to finish, cause I will sent them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snowflake pledged 1 of each and Nira pledged a 6"-er plus a square or 2 for my comfortghan request. So that leaves 2 8"-ers and 1 6"-er needed to finish BOTH ghans!!! Yippee! So excited. Started working on getting Felicia's 8"-ers together. Then I need to decide on a border or sorts.

All these ghans getting completed is exciting. You's must post pics without the border and with it. I love seeing how borders just finish a piece off.

ETA I love your new squares Pineknott. Especially the circle one!

Archived