Do you like Granny Squares?

Do you like granny squares and what's your age range?  

337 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like granny squares and what's your age range?

• YES! 18-24
    • NO! 18-24
    • YES! 25-34
    • NO! 25-34
    • YES! 35-44
    • NO! 35-44
    • YES! 45-54
    • NO! 45-54
    • YES! 55+
    • NO! 55+

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted no. I like to make them, but I hate putting them together. And I also hate all those ends. But it's just me.

:manyheart

I love granny squares, and there are so many types and ways of making them. I may not always do a project with grannies, but I do like them for mindless crocheting while watching movies. :) I'm 27, and they were the very first blanket I learned how to make.

Victoria

PS

I don't like joining them together, but I love making the rectangle grannies, or the square grannies, that are just one large one. That's fun!! :)

I love granny squares. When I first learned how to crochet I made granny squares. For a number of years all I made was granny square afghans. The ones that were just one big granny square and not made up of a lot of little granny squares. Through the years I have collected granny square crochet patterns by Martha Brooks Stein. She specializes in making granny square afghans that look like patchwork afghans. She does this by making one or two tone granny squares and placing the squares together to make a pattern. Her work is fascinating to me. I checked yes but had to check the last age category as that is where my age lies. That was a very sobering thought to think I am now in the last age category. :rofl

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 21 and I love grannies too! I've just finished my first tiny afghan made of 24 small grannies. I too don't really like dealing with ends and although putting them together is not as fun as making them but its ok too!

Love them too! One of my favorite crochet blogs does alot of them. http://www.attic24.typepad.com

That's one of my favorite crochet blogs too. Lucy's things are so colorful and cute no wonder she's got so many fans :) And yeah her grannie afghans and stripped thingies look awesome.

Can I vote so-so?

I like the large, single granny squares and blankets, but I hate some of the 'fashions' that are out there that use them in garish colors, or in odd ways - like grannies for ear flaps on a hat, or blue/orange/black grannies for a retromodern blanket. BLEAUGH!

Oh, and weaving in all the ends on grannies of any size is the pits!

I am not a granny square fan. I don't mind doing motif work, even squares, but the traditional granny square...nope...and the reason being is that I did way too many in my wicked youth. And it goes back to one afghan my grandmother and I made together for my aunt. It was simple enough...two rows of white and I think about 4 to 6 rows of forest green or back then it might have even been called olive green. I can't remember how many squares we made, but the squares were about 12" squares and we slaved over making it in a relatively short period of time. Then we ran out of the green before we were finished and couldn't match up the color lot, so the colors were horribly off. And my grandmother was just like, just crochet 'em anyway and we'll sew them together. What would have looked great just for simplicity's sake looked like something got ruined in the wash. If I were to do a similier afghan and had the same problem with the yarn, I would have tried hard to balance out two different colors of green yarn instead of having one whole end of the afghan look like it was faded.

I hated working on those squares after I think it was two weeks...it was just boring work.

But like another poster said, working them up in yarns other than worsted weight (like I like to work them up in crocheted cotten...) is nice...but I'd rather do something else...

I'm 50.

I didn't vote because I'm kind of on the fence. It entirely depends on how they are done, what the granny squares are used to make, and believe it or not, what color they are!

I hear ya there...

I voted yes, but honestly, I don't love them. They're functional & I do use them for specific projects. Most people who see my work are amazed at them, so I get plenty of compliments. I guess they have their place & for that reason, I'll keep doing them from time to time. I don't mind weaving the ends, but I get bored with joining, so I wait until the last minute & then do it all at once so I can get it over with.

I love the granny square type. If joining is getting you down you should try the

as demonstrated by our own bethintx. her vids are perfect for learning the method and I don't even think about the joining any more as it goes as smoothly as can be done. The link is for the 1st of 4 vids. you can find the others from there.

I still use other techniques once in a while but this is my fave.

and thanks for posting the poll so we can celebrate grannies once again.:manyheart

45+ and voted yes :manyheart. I've been :crocheting for 35 (+/-) yrs. I started with the classic granny square. They are easy to work on anywhere. I make all my afghans with some type of square (except for 1 ripple and a few MAMs). I love making my own designs, and have learned the "join-as-you-go" method.

Ellie 13

• 2 weeks later...
Love to make them !! Hate to put them together.

i agree....I love to make all squares just hate putting them together. So much so that i am making a scrapghan and it is just a giant granny no sewing together. see i am not fond of weaving in ends so my projects tend to be solid colors or ones that the ends can be worked over to secure.

Archived