Do you like Granny Squares?

Do you like granny squares and what's your age range?  

337 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like granny squares and what's your age range?

• YES! 18-24
    • NO! 18-24
    • YES! 25-34
    • NO! 25-34
    • YES! 35-44
    • NO! 35-44
    • YES! 45-54
    • NO! 45-54
    • YES! 55+
    • NO! 55+

What's the wrong category? Looks like Liking Granny Squares won out in every age group with the most any Not liking them got was 5.5% -- I only look at percent because different number responded in each age group.

You say you love them too so that must be the "right" category.

The wrong category was the swap category.. where I originally posted this thread by accident....

Plus, when I first posted the thread, I had been reading a lot online about people hating them and that they thought they were tacky.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a love/hate relationship with them. The first things I ever completed were 3 afghans that were large single granny squares. I didn't even know that's what they were called. It's what my grandma had taught me to do as a child and in my early 20's I made one for her, one for my parents and one for my brother. They were all variegated as I knew nothing of changing colors. Just round and round and round endlessly. I was very proud of them even though now, I know they fell short of being full fledged afghans! lol! They were on the smaller side.

Then a few years later, I met my hubby and he wanted one so I made another but I actually did a couple of color changes on the border. Still, it took me so long (I think it was in my mind from getting so tired of the other three that I dreaded it) that I swore never again and quit crocheting.

So, last fall my dd asked me to teach her to crochet. With the wonder of the internet, I learned there was so much more you could do and that I could actually do it! :lol I found out about squares and thought they were cool but still not so hot on traditional granny squares. The thought of making one made me cringe from those afghans. So I did a closed granny. Ok, I can do this. Then did some different squares. Kept watching others grannies thinking, wow that's pretty. So, I made one and I loved the way it turned out.

I still cringe at the thought of afghans though. :lol I LOVE the round ripples but haven't enough courage to try one yet. But I am working on some more simple granny squares for others. Love/hate and it all depends on my mood and the day I guess. And wow! that's a long answer. Sorry!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I could not make a basic granny square at all! I even had my dear aunt (RIP) show me, still couldn't do it. One day, I pulled out my book and much to my surprise, I made one without a problem~!!!!! I haven't made a granny square blanket, but I make squares for charity or people here who request them. I have made a bunch of giant granny square blankets too.

I love making the squares! Nice and easy quick project, I need to start using my scraps and making granny rectangles that are the right size for Warm Up America and take them in to my local library.

but I HATE joining them, I've never been able to figure out join as you go and I think that would make a big difference.

I don't mind joining big squares, made a gorgeous comfortghan with help from amazing ladies here for a friend of mine out of 12 in squares. But the thought of joining small squares or triangles makes me want to pull out my hair which is why I've never made one of the crocheted quilts even though I think they are positively gorgeous.

I'm 34 btw

Who remembers those wonderful Woman's Day Granny Square specials? I had the privilege to design some things for some of them before they stopped publishing them. My alltime favorite publications, and YES, I love granny squares!

• 6 months later...

My big gripe about them is having to weave in the ends, and sewing them together.

They are beautiful, in their own way and can be very pretty all together in an afghan, a bag, etc.

I would just rather turn out large afghans, that are made all in one piece, than to have to fiddle around with a million squares.

It's just my opinion.

:manyheart

Funny, this came up. I had voted on here before, but had to add another reason for loving the squares. I am in the process of redoing one of my older afghans. I tend to join my squares in a method I call Trellis. Not only is it easy to do, but easy to undo also.

A few of my old squares stretched more than the others and the edging was starting to look a little worn, from all the use and washing. A few snips with my scissors and I was able to unravel the old joining, remove some of the bad squares and now (with a few new squares) I am making a less stretchy afghan, with a newer edging. Plus I am adding some extra squares to make it bigger. I will post a pic in show and tell when it is done. Afghans like these can grow with children, and be repaired with little effort.

No I am not fond of weaving in those ends but I try to do it as I go, and each square is in my hand. Waiting til the end is the pits, and I will somehow forget or skip one or two. But the finished product is always worth the effort.

Happy Hooking All!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy granny squares. My Grandmother made them and taught us too.

She didn't just make afghans or lap robes. She made sweaters, ear bands,

purses, vests,slippers and so on. She would make up patterns as she went

along.

:clapI love them ; but hate to put them together.:lol

when I make mine ; I don't add a lot of single crochets in between either. thus it is not so Holey :lol

I have to recommend Beth's videos for continuous join. it is THEE WAY to join grannies without a million ends. I try to make only those grannies that I can join in this way.

I cancelled my You Tube account but you can find the vids if you search for "continuous join" on site.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to think they were ... well ... too granny-ish. But then I realized the colour can make a big difference (no browns and oranges for me), and right now I'm making a granny square pullover for my daughter for her birthday.

I learnt how to make them recently and fell in love with them instantly. I'm currently making a giant granny square blanket for my car and a blue and white small granny square blanket for my boyfriend. I love the blue one so far. The small granny squares are so fast and easy to make, it's nice seeing it grow so quickly!

I haven't tried joining them yet though so it could still be a bit of a nightmare! We'll see!

I love any kind of squares and use them to make cardigans and jackets. At the moment I have various ones on the go and would love to get enough cotton ones to make a summer vest

• 3 months later...

Yup - I love them! They are very mindless to make. In fact, I made a granny square washcloth variation this morning for Warmth for Warriors!!! I really enjoy the variety that granny squares provide, not to mention the beauty of their simplicity.

Archived