What's the wackiest thing that you have carried your crochet project in?

As I was putting my newest project into a ziplock bag to carry to work, I was wondering what's the wackiest thing that you have used to carry a project in?

I have used plastic pitchers to carry the project to the beach with me.

But I am sure you gals can come up with some other ideas that people use for travel containers.

Tell us what you have used.

:manyheart

It's not really wacky, but I keep a baggie (sandwich type) with some threads in my purse for a take-along project. I've used gift bags (the paper kind), grocery bags, tote bags... nothing really wacky :P

hmm, I would have to say my daughters easter bucket..lol.I have also used a clear plastic tote that my youngest daughters toy blocks came in,oh yes and that pretty bag that bodywash and body lotion came in,or shoved into the diaper bag with everything else,other that that just the normal small to large tote bags. Generally I will put it in anything that it will fit in, lol.

one of those huge icing buckets you can get from the bakery at target. they usually just throw them out, but will save them if you ask (wal-mart too). they are very thick and durable...I have a friend that uses them to store flour, sugar etc in her pantry. I took my crochet stuff camping in mine and now use them for some of my WIPs. they come with a lid, but be sure to let them know you want it.

Well, it's wacky to me...years ago, I needed something in which to carry my latest crochet project. I was in Wal-Mart and came across a big canvas tote bag with a zip top that had fish all over it. For $5 I figured I couldn't go wrong. The ironic part is that people constantly compliment me on the thing, like it's a Hermes bag or something. I swear, I was coming out of Barnes and Noble in one of our more snooty shopping areas, when some extremely well-heeled woman, emerging from her Mercedes, complimented me on the bag. A $5 bag from Wal-Mart! :lol Go figure...

one of those huge icing buckets you can get from the bakery at target. they usually just throw them out, but will save them if you ask (wal-mart too). they are very thick and durable...I have a friend that uses them to store flour, sugar etc in her pantry. I took my crochet stuff camping in mine and now use them for some of my WIPs. they come with a lid, but be sure to let them know you want it.

That gets me thinking --- I have several kitty litter tubs around. For some reason the recycling people don't pick them up. It would keep my projects organized at home though I doublt I'd take them out of the hosue it it.

Usually I carry mine in a trader Joes shopping bag. I have a collection of them -- I never remember them when shopping at Trader Joe's but they make great craft carriers.

Before I got my crochetville bag from Mary Jo I used a big beach bag (still do if it is a large project I take with me). I still occasionally used the large buckets you get Cholrine tablets in if I am working on something on the patio or outside. It keeps the yarn clean and no grass or dirt on my projects. Easy to grab the handle and go. Okk its a little weird but it works great. I through my hooks and needles and notions in a bag and hang it on the handle so I have everything I need right there.

I don't carry my projects in them, but I have some WIP's (mainly afghans) in kitty litter buckets. I keep one on the balcony (in warm weather) with a skein or 2 of yarn in it plus a few hooks. That way when I go outside to get some fresh air, I don't have to cart anything outside, it is already there and I can make a dishcloth or a square.

A plastic coffee can. I use it for a thread holder. Alot cheaper than 7.99 for the ones in the craft stores. I just cut a hole in the top. I have gotten some strange looks from some people, but hey, it works and it was free.

Hugs,

Toni

I have a couple of those giant-sized cans that coffee comes in. Not the one-pound size, I think they're the three-pound size. They have the plastic lids that snap on to keep the coffee fresh after you've removed the metal lid. Well, I punched a hole in the plastic top to thread the yarn through, so this way I can crochet outdoors without the yarn rolling around on the ground and getting dirty. Depending upon how many colors I'm working with, I sometimes have three or four coffee cans lined up around my chair. :lol

A large cardboard oat meal canister. In Girl Scouts, we covered them with the sticky shelf paper stuff and made twisted yarn handles. We punched holes in the lids for the yarn. Our leader got the idea from "knitting yarn can" that was aluminum and covered in plaid material. I got a "yarn can" at a thrift store a while ago, I would use it if I can find it :think.

Ellie 13

I have one WIP that I have in a plastic bag we give patients to bring back 24 urine collections. I was at work and my other bag ripped. It has the name of the lab, a biohazard symbol and says urine specimen. My warped sense of humor thinks its kind of funny so I still use it.

I just use a large tote from the grocery store but I carry my hooks in an old eye glass holder (the hard ones) and it works great. It even has room for the small scissors :hook.

I have one WIP that I have in a plastic bag we give patients to bring back 24 urine collections. I was at work and my other bag ripped. It has the name of the lab, a biohazard symbol and says urine specimen. My warped sense of humor thinks its kind of funny so I still use it.

ROFL That is great!! :lol

a lap top case....i thought it was a tote bag!

It's probably just the right size! Great idea!

:rofl My warped sense of humor thinks its pretty funny, too! :D

a lap top case....i thought it was a tote bag!

I have one that I use for pattern books/crochet magazines/internet patterns/ yarn label patterns. never thought to use it for wips, not wide enough for a large pattern

I don't think i've used anything too out of the ordinary. a back pack, cloth grocery bags, etc. One thing that's funny is that one time while crocheting at home, i was using an actual ball of yarn instead of a skein. I was getting tired of the thing rolling away while pulling yarn from it. So, I found an old plastic toy soldier helmet thing of DS's, that he didnt' use anymore, so I used that to hold the yarn ball.

Got a new blanket that came in a zipped top, hold WIPS and the yarn, hook, pattern and misc. Sometimes my lunch :lol

I have a few of those zippered bags that come with quilts/bed sets. I use them to store afghans in (I've even given some away them with afghans).

Ellie 13

I have a few of those zippered bags that come with quilts/bed sets. I use them to store afghans in (I've even given some away them with afghans).

Ellie 13

I do the same thing. I save all the zippered or snap bags that blankets, sheets, pillow cases come in to keep my stash clean and to carry my wip's around. I have one that has silk corded handles and is very heavy duty. It even has a pocket inside (that held the discription card) for hooks and notions. You would think I actually paid money for it. :D

Archived