Who taught you to crochet? Age?

My grandma came for a 2 week visit when I was 8 and taught me.  I picked it up again to make baby blankets for my sons.  I picked it up a third time when my oldest graduated from college.  Picked it up a 4th time when my youngest turned 25.  I'm not putting it away again!  LOL

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My elementary school girlfriend taught me. I was in 4th grade (9-10 years old), she was in 3rd grade (8-9 years old). 

I crocheted fairly regularly until some time in high-school (mid-80s), then quit.

I found my hooks in storage at my dad's this past summer, and started up again. I'm 47 (will be 48 very soon). So that makes for an approximately 30-year gap. 

• 2 months later...

My grandmother showed me how to make a granny square when I was about 9, but I put it down when we left her house that weekend and never picked it up again. Fast forward to when I was a 22 year old new momma and I realized that I was eating any time my hands weren't occupied by my baby.  I taught myself from books to keep my hands busy and my snacking in check!

• 3 weeks later...

I was 11. It was a required class in junior high school. They taught me sewing (by hand), crochet and other crafts. They never taught me to read patterns, we were just following directions, but it helped me practice a lot and achieve a very nice, even crochet. The  projects were in my opinion kind of boring for the age, mainly doilies, a baby blanket, strange stuff for our age. I attempted several times to go back but I only made a couple of scarves. I attempted several times a poncho but, not knowing how to read patterns, I just got frustrated. One day I discovered amigurumis and how surprisingly easy they are, so I found something worth learning to read patterns.

Edited by ocelotito

I started teaching myself about 6 months ago at 22. Since getting into this hobby I've learned that my late Grandmother not only knit (and many other crafty things!) but she also crocheted! It really makes me wish I would have heard about crochet when I was little. I would have loved to have shared that hobby with her. However, because I'm left handed I remember she wouldn't teach me how to knit, so maybe she would have also refused to teach me crochet. But I ended up teaching myself right handed. I figured it would be awkward to begin with so why not learn it so I don't have to read things backwards. :P

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Although my Mom could crochet..........she stated pretty firmly to me that since I was a lefty and she was right handed she could not teach me to crochet as I grew up...........

Hence in my 50's I found a local class in my area and for $25.00 I learned to crochet!!!!   I have to say I really enjoy crocheting.  My usual item to make is dishcloths - but many different sizes and styles.  I have the book 99 Dishcloths and late in 2016 I set out to make sure I made at least one of each one in the book.  I did not finish that task by the end of 2016 and now in 2017 my project is to make a crocheted Hoodie Cardigan with yarn a neighbor gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago.  I cannot wait to get it started just need to print the pattern I purchased online.

The class I took allowed me to learn to crochet left handed and the instructor told me it would have been so simple for Mom to teach me by letting me sit across from her and hold my yarn and needle in the left hand........as us lefties can learn from righties by the "mirror approach".............

Thanks so much for all of you and your willingness to help when asked.

Edited by Batwoman

I tried to teach myself to crochet when I was 19 and pregnant with my first child. There was no internet back, then, or rather it was brand new and most people didn't have computers yet. So I got a book from the library and a hook and some yarn, and had nooooo clue what the book was talking about. So eventually i gave up. A few years later I was a ble to teach my self basic knitting so I would knit scarves and I made one baby afghan and some slippers. Then when I was in my early thirty's I was up to four kids, my father-in-law taught me how to crochet. I am so happy that I learned how. I like it sooo much better than knitting that i can't even begin to describe it. For me knitting is just super slow and super frustrating, whereas crochet just zips right along happily. :) 

I had to of been between 8 years old and 10 years old because my Memaw (grandmother) taught me to chain stitch and how to turn before she went into the nursing home.  I remember working on chain after chain to impress her with getting even stitches.  She also gave me a small loom (big enough to do those looped pot holders) and taught me to make pot holders then crochet an edging around them.  My Aunt then took over one summer and got me started on a ripple stitch afghan.  I worked on that off and on from 5th grade through my Senior year of High School. --- Don't judge -- more about that in a minute.

When my Memaw passed away my Papaw gave me her hooks, an old Coats and Clark "how to crochet" book that she had obviously used over and over again, her potholder loom, and yarn.  He said out of all her grand kids and great grand kids I was the only one who cared to learn from her and that she would want me to have them.  I still have her hooks and use them! 

I am now 42 years old and crochet is my therapy.  I love making things for my family and friends and for those not as fortunate as we are.  

Oh, that first afghan?  Until this Christmas it was on my youngest daughter's bed.  I made her an afghan out of yarn that she picked out and now we're using it on different chairs in the house as a "cuddle up" throw.  It's not perfect and we've had to fix some places that have worn thin over the years but it's still being used all these years later.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

My mother taught me the basics of crochet when I was 10. However, I didn't return to the hobby for 20 years. Found my old hook and a ball of yarn, so I tried again at 30 and now I am addicted! 

My nan taught me basic crochet when I was 11 I’d say, also to knit basic stitches.

im 33 this year and expecting my first baby so decided to take it up again; with the help of this forum I’ve crocheted a bunny rabbit for my sadly stillborn nephew and am about to make a large blanket for me and my baby when he arrives.

i didn’t even realise when my nan taught me that there were patterns available in crochet, so was an eye opener when I bought a  “simple” kit to make the rabbit, which included dc, Tunisian stitch, bobble stitch and dc using only the back part of the stitch.  But I was pleased with the results and found it very therapeutic so onwards and upwards!

hes a bit wonky, but the first time I’d picked up a hook on over 20years so I’m pleased :-)

3846B1A0-0AAE-4D5D-B98D-F36E7584F952.jpeg

My great grandmother taught me the basics of knitting when I was about 10, then when I was 18 & moved in with my grandparents my grandmother gave me a set of crafting encyclopedias from the ‘60 or ‘70 where I learned to crochet. I then went to visit an aunt a couple years later who helped me refine my skills & make my work more uniform (still before internet). But I’d have to say the internet & YouTube have helped a lot when I started new techniques. 

Going through all these posts from all these years--it occurred to me that a lot of us dropped out of crocheting, got busy with life, then returned to our Love years later!  I'm sure the same can be said for knitting.  Life sometimes gets in the way--then we come to our senses!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...