Who taught you to crochet? Age?

My grandma taught me how to make a chain when I was a small child. I was good at it. She tried to teach me other stitches and I didn't get it. Then my mother in law tried teaching me when I decided I wanted to learn. I am lefty and she is righty, so I got lost in translation. About 2 years later, I heard about a gal that learned crochet watching YouTube videos... That worked for me, too. I started out watching lefty videos... Once I understood the mechanics of crochet, I could watch righty videos, as well. Then I found a great book at a garage sale for $2! It's helped me a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't remember not being able to crochet, but my Mom can't crochet and she tells me neither could either of my grandma's, though one of them was a big knitter and the other was a tayloress all her life. So goodness knows where I got it from.

I didn't do any for a while then was re-introduced to it when a friend took me with her to a LYS when I was in my 20's

I learned to crochet when I was about 12 in Home Economics.  I also learned sewing, knitting, and embroidery, but I kept coming back to crochet throughout

the years.  Now I'm 53 and have been crocheting steadily for about 2 years now.  Boy, I have to make up for lost time, lots to learn!

I learned to crochet sometime in college; after freshman year, I believe, but don't hold me to that. I was home on break, verbally tormenting my youngest brother somehow, when my mom finally got fed up and shoved a copy of "I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting!", a hook, and some yarn into my hands and said, "Here! Do something productive!"

Still have that book, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I learned from my neighbor at the age of 6.  She was in her late 80s or early 90s.  She taught me to chain, double crochet and triple crochet, and how to make granny squares.  I quit sometime in my teenage years.  I started up again 2 years ago, and learned about the crochet world on the internet.  I also learned that she had taught me UK terms, and I actually knew single and double, lol.  A little hard to wrap my head around that at first.  I've learned so much in the last 2 years.  I think if she was still around, she'd be pretty proud of me now :)

• 2 weeks later...

Summer camp in the early 1970s (I think 1972).  I would have been 13 then. 

The camp was run by the Ursuline nuns, and I was taught by one of the dear nuns (I wish I remembered her name).  I am forever in her debt.

It wasn't until several years ago that I read that the Ursuline nuns were partly responsible for the spread of crochet throughout the world (I think in Debbie Stoller's "Stitch n Bitch...the Happy Hooker).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was probably 4 or 5, and my mom and her friend were crocheting in from of our summer bungalow. I asked how, they showed me, and I began making loads of dresses for my barbies. I skipped a decade or two in my teens and 20's because I was WAY too cool to crochet, don't ya know? 

I've been back at it for years, and I just love making gifts and stuff for around the house. I'm 46, so 40 years ago I learned.  :lol

My mom taught me when I was about 7 or 8, I think.  I remember practicing chains, and bringing them to her for approval, then when they were even, we moved on to single crocheting and went from there.  It's still something we bond over 20 years later, and whenever I go visit her, we end up sharing photos and patterns (and of course I steal yarn from her). 

I'm lucky to come from a long line of knitters/crocheters, and actually have four generations of handmade blankets (one I made, one my mother made, one my maternal grandmother made, and one my maternal great grandmother made).  They have become more special since my grandmother passed away in 2009.

I was 8 my mother taught me. I learned to knit at the age of 20 and then taught my mom to knit. We are left handed so as I read the book I learned to change hands. Anyway I can from a very talented family, there wasn't many crafts they didn't do

• 3 months later...

I was taught by my grandmother when I was 12. She taught all the men in my family to crochet when they were around that age. She had a wall in her kitchen were all the potholders that were made by my uncles, cousins and dad were proudly displayed. I have carried on this tradition and and taught both of my sons how to crochet when they turned 12.

• 2 weeks later...

I taught myself with a needle called K-tell knitting & crochet needle all in one. When I was in labour I knitted the toe part and crocheted the upper part they turned out great. All the nurses came to see how it worked and that was 40 yrs ago. Then taught myself to crochet with a regular hook. No one crochets in my family.

• 3 weeks later...

My mom taught me when I was 3 or 4. So I've been crocheting pretty much my whole life. I really got into it around age 10 and started to explore more stitches and projects on my own at that point. But, it's been a LOT of years for me. 

• 3 months later...

When I was 4, my Great Aunt Carol taught me how to "finger crochet."  For my first project, she took the miles of finger chain and sewed it into a basket.  When I was older, around 8 maybe, my Aunt Patty taught me basics.  I didn't have anybody to help me when I got home, so I had to do things from memory and my own imagination.  Then, I made a few things back in my teenage years.  When I was 22, I was newly married, and my husband and I would go to his friend's house on Saturday and/or Sunday to watch football.  His friend's mom crocheted baby things, and so that sparked my interest again.  She taught me how to read patterns and gave me lots of pointers.  I'm 38 now, so the rest of my skills are self taught.   :D

during my grade school, our teacher from Home Economics required us to create crochet projects, but the subject was not interesting....now i'm crocheting....i learned that i have this sleeping passion all along.... crocheting is helping me recover from my depression and has given me another chance to live my life with purpose and meaning... :manyheart

My mom tried to teach me when I was young, but I didn't get very far. Then when I first got married, she showed me how to make granny squares and I made about 20 for a blanket and then stopped and forgot everything. Then last spring, one of my high school friends got a group of us together and taught us how to make dishclothes. And this time, I think it's stuck. I'm enjoying it a lot! And I even dug out that yarn from that blanket.. maybe I'll get back to it. :)

• 1 month later...

I taught myself by using a Coats and Clark Learn to Crochet book when I was in my mid 20s.  I learned many more techniques and stitches from the internet when you tube began.  I still learn new things from the the talented crocheters who share their knowledge and talent on you tube and the other video sites on the internet.

• 7 months later...

My maternal Grandmother mainly, and her sister helped too. I was probably around 7yrs old. My Grandmother gave me my first hook and a ball of yarn and sat with me teaching me the basics.

After stopping in my teens and almost forgetting what I was taught, I relearned how to crochet when I was 27 by myself, as I was pregnant with my daughter and on a doctor-ordered semi-bedrest at the time and needed sometimg to occupy myself. My MIL had a hook, a ball of yarn, and some magazines that I "played" with trying to remember what I was taught 20yrs before. After my daughter was born I started getting books and expanded on what I was taught when I was a child.

• 10 months later...

I started teaching myself a couple years ago (I was 30) with the help of books and youtube. I did have a coworker help me understand a couple things and my mom also helped. She tried to teach me years ago but it was too difficult back then so I quit. I finally tried again for my daughter and my skills have been improving slowly.