Who taught you to crochet? Age?

I taught myself how to crochet with the help of one of my high school classmates and a really old book that I found on my mom's shelf. My classmate was working on a tunisian stitch afghan in class and I decided that it was a skill I wanted to learn. I have since taught my self all of the other basic stiches and continue to learn more each time I surf the web.

My mother does not crochet (or knit) but she does do just about everything else, and she has passed on much of her knowledge to me about those things. I look forward to teaching my 4-year-old daughter to crochet someday...when she is coordinated enough to make an attempt.

I begged my mom to teach me to knit when I was 8 or 9. I was looking for directions to a new (to me) stitch in an old pattern/instruction booklet she had, and discovered the intstructions for crochet. I wasn't sure if I'd like it so started with with a tiny hook and string - my first projects were doilies and I LOVED it. Twenty years later my roommate's mom gave me a set of crochet hooks and some of her leftover string and yarn and I moved from doilies to rugs and afghans. I can still knit, but the simplicity and the flexibility of crochet is what I love.

• 2 weeks later...

a friend taught me how to knit because i wanted to make some scarfs and then after that i picked up a crochet hook and thats all i do so i guess u can say i taught myself by just trying it all ...

my mom

i was 8 or so--3rd grade. took my hook and yarn to school and was laughed at.

i knew then and there i was a hooker for life.

dropped off crochet for a few years to raise 2 lovely babies and now i can't stop!!

karen

I learned from my Grandma when I was around 10. She tried so hard to teach me how to do a Granny Square cause I wanted to make Christmas Stockings like her. LOL I was doing good to make a chain most of the time. She had some kind of patience let me tell ya. I then made my first baby blanket back in 1999. My Aunt who lived about 3 hours away spent alot of time on the phone with me... Bless her heart... I bet she could tell ya some funny stories about those conversations. Grandma passed the love of crocheting on to alot of us girls in the family. I sure love my Grandma!

• 1 month later...

I was probably 10 or 11 and my grandma taught me she taught me the chain stitches and sc,dc but I forgot them so I learned from the internet, dvd, books, and then from Joann's from a lady named Mary Corbin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When I was 9 one of my classmates came to school with a cut off Clorox bottle, yarn and a needle. She was making a purse. I watched her for days, whenever I was around her. I went home and begged for a needle and some yarn. My Dad bought it for me. I taught myself completely from there. Interestingly enough, my Grandmother saw me crocheting, and learned from someone she worked with. My daughter is now learning so she can make a net to put on the ceiling to hold her daughter's stuffed animals. So, there will be 3 of us in my LARGGGEEEE family that know how to Crochet. Knitting I had to be taught by a lovely 77 year old lady who was left handed...she taught me Continental. I love BOTH crafts. :)

• 1 year later...

A lady that worked with my dh taught me in 1971 and I haven't stopped since. She thought a hdc was a dc and it was quite a while before I realized the difference. Never told her.

• 1 month later...

I'm twenty and I recently taught myself by watching crochet videos online.

I work at Joann Fabrics and occasionally I'll be stuck at the cash register at 9 in the morning when there are no customers. I take learn-to-crochet books to the register with me and read while I wait for customers to arrive. I learn a lot! :lol