Who taught you to crochet? Age?

My Grandma taught me how to crochet when I was 5 years old and I am 20 now.

It's kinda funny, now I'm the one teaching her and her friends things about crochet and I've also taught some of her friends how to knit. I'm also the knit/Crochet guru in our family so all my aunts and cousins call me if they're having trouble with something.

I really enjoy it.

Julee

I was my teacher, and I was 46 or 47. My inheritance when my mom died was all her hooks and stash.

A next door neighbor lady that crocheted beautiful doilies and chair sets to make extra money for her and her son. I would just set and watch her and she told me to get a hook and a ball of thread and it started then. When my kids were little I didn't do much or when in high school. But I always loved it and it does not have to be thread. I love working with yarn also but not clothes, never clothes...:manyheart

My science teacher when I was 18 years old. She taught me the basics and I never did anything with it until about 2 years ago when I decided I wanted to try again. Bought a couple of books and went at it.

Mrs. Travis. Home ec teacher. In high school. It was an elective course. I chose crochet and needlepoint. I loved that class and got an A in it. I still have my needlepoint sampler too. I was 16 yrs old.

Mrs Travis is long gone now. She was very old and had blue hair when she taught me in that class.

I was watching a girl on the school bus (when I was 12). I did not know her, but she was crocheting granny squares (at that time I had no idea what crocheting was). After about a week, I got up the nerve to ask her. I remember asking my mother if I could try. She took me to a store and bought me a small book called "Learn to Crochet" for 25cents and some yarn. (I still have that very same book!) I went home and practiced until I got it! Have not stopped since! I am now 61 and still doing it! My youngest granddaughter, Gabrielle - 8 yrs, wants to learn and I try to teach her - she is very active and cannot sit still long enough (or do I just not have the patience????) But, I make her everything! As well as my other 8 grandchildren! No one in family was in any way crafty, creative, etc. except my fraternal grandmother - she was a seamstress. I did sew a lot when I was in my 20's and 30's, but CROCHETING IS MY LOVE!

I learned when I was about 5. My Mom taught me with thread. I had such a death grip on the hook and thread, I had rope burn and my hook fingers were sore.:rofl: She ran out of patience and gave up on me. Then my Grandmother (Mom's mom) :manyheart, who crocheted things to sell for extra money (I still have a doily she made at our house in 2 days without a pattern and her favorite hook too!), showed me again at about 8. Same problem. She suggested making things with yarn as the needles were bigger and the yarn was softer. So I switched. I learned death grips are not needed and continued using yarn for a long time. Picked the thread crochet up again when I was in my 20's. I actually prefer to work with thread now.:D

A close friend taught me. One day at work in Oct. 1971 I made the coment that I wanted to learn to crochet and she replied that she would teach me. We went to her house for dinner that evening and the rest is history. My very first project was a granny afghan and I was reading the pattern. The interesting part was that she thought a hdc was a dc and it was a LONG time before I figured out the difference.

I learned it in school in 3rd grade I guess I was 8 or 9 nine then. The teacheress I had went to the same church we did, so it was kind of weird. I only learned chain and single crochet. Never did anything else after 3rd grade. I just rediscovered it a couple of weeks ago, because I wanted to make something for my daughter. Plus as a mommy, I will have to know how to do all these things, so I can teach her, and make a full equipped mommy!!

I think it's cool!

A dear friend taught me to crochet in 1971 and I was 24 years old. I am telling my age but I am proud:clapof it. I had tried to learn from a cousin that insisted I learn using thread but I soon was discouraged and quit but when I learned the second time, it is a big part of my life almost every day.

i taught myself to crochet, when i was about 10, but did mostly knit until i went away to college- then it became easier to haul hooks around and projects got finished much faster,so i gave away all my needles and here i am!!!:hook

My Mom taught me how to do chains when I was a young child, then when I was 25 and living in Georgia I followed the instructions in a crochet magazine and learned the basic stitches. However, I did not crochet "non-stop" through all these years, I just rediscovered crochet last March and the internet has been a very valuable tool, this time I'm definitely "hooked"!

• 2 weeks later...

My best friend Lizzie taught me to crochet..it may sound funny but she taught me in my math class XDD. I learned at age 15.