What level of a crocheter are you?

Katchkan

Out of curiousity, ( which I have an abundance of,) What level of ability do you consider yourself in your crochet?

And now the tough part, how do you figure out what level you are? I am curious as I am never quite sure what level to assign a pattern.

What makes you

A beginner,

An advanced beginer,

A moderate,

An intermediate,

As advanced

An expert.

Or what other levels do you think there should be?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've often wondered the same thing. What level am I? :think Is there a formula to help me figure it out? Let's see, I've been crocheting since I was 15. I'm a billion years old now....subtract 15. Can I crochet anything with/without a pattern? Yes. Can I write up new ideas into patterns, make them understandable? Yes. Can I use all types of fibers (ie: thread, yarn, wool, fabric, cords, clothesline, tulle netting, fishing line, rafia, plastic bag strips, etc) Yes. Can I crochet tunisian, afghan, Irish crochet, etc. Yes. Could I teach a class in crochet? Yes.

OK... I think I qualify for advanced crocheter (although you don't have that listed) but personally I consider myself to be a beginner as I'm always learning something new or trying out a new technique. I don't consider myself to be an expert as would never put myself in the same category as Lily Chin, Sylvia Cosh or the other many expert crocheters, even here at the 'Ville.

OK... I think I qualify for advanced crocheter (although you don't have that listed) but personally I consider myself to be a beginner as I'm always learning something new or trying out a new technique. I don't consider myself to be an expert as would never put myself in the same category as Lily Chin, Sylvia Cosh or the other many expert crocheters, even here at the 'Ville.

Okay I added advanced. See that's part of the problem Just what are the levels?

I would not say just because we are learning all the time that makes us a beginner, I would call you a student of crochet. I would hope even the experts are learning all the time. Heaven knows there is enough to learn to keep one busy for a lifetime.

I think even an "expert" at anything is still learning something all the time. I just say I'm "possibly extreme..." (don't add that Kathy...) I most certainly consider myself "advanced" to "expert." And I know I can always improve in the evenness and tightness and/or looseness of my stitches...

hmm...intermediate? not sure. i can usually help others and read most patterns etc. i am able to create my own designs. not sure how you'd really guage your level but that sounds enough for me. and patterns can stump anyone!!

Kathy you should have created a poll :)

That's a really good question - I think I would consider myself an intermediate/advanced crocheter because I can usually follow most patterns, can whip out most stitches without reading how to do them, can fudge poorly written patterns, can rewrite to create a larger or more flattering shape, etc. BUT I don't write my own patterns, so I suppose I'm a beginning designer? Should there be different categories?

i'm glad i'm not the only one who has wondered this :think

i guess i would classify myself as a moderate or intermediate...i can read most patterns and i can modify them a little to meet my needs but i haven't been able to freestyle as of yet...but eventually i guess i'll get there :hook

I don't know what to classify myself as. I suppose I am past beginner because I do know how to do a few stitches, and I am working on my fourth afghan. But there are still alot of stitches I don't know how to do so, maybe continuing beginner. yeah I liike the sound of that. :lol So I am a continuing beginner.

Well, I made it through the 63 Squares crochet-along with all those different types of stitches...what would that make me? :lol I've done some designing with afghans and sweaters, but the only thing I still haven't conquered is thread crocheting. Unfortunately, I have tendonitis, so I don't think I'll ever be able to do crocheting on that small a scale...

There are five "Levels" listed in the Crochet a day calender with their abilities

Beginner...can do basic stitch patterns using yarn with mid sized hooks

Easy....can do projects using either yarn or thread with basic stitches, repetitive stitch patterns, minimal shaping, and simple finishing

Intermediate.....can do projects with a variety of stitches such as surface texture, color changes, mid level shaping and finishing

Advanced.....can do projects with intricate stitch patterns and techniques, fine thread, small hooks, some novelty yarns

Experienced...can do very challenging stitches, techniques, shaping and finishings

Does this make it clearer for some????

on this scale I am somewhere between Advanced and experienced:hook

Well this depends on what the technique is.

If it is taking yarn patterns and making them with thread -Advanced

If it is taking parts of patterns and putting them together

to make another - Advanced

If it is looking at a pattern like a puzzle and figuring it out - Advanced

If it is tunisian, Irish crochet or afghan stitch - Beginner

I am always learning and trying new things. I do not consider myself an Expert on anything. I do the best I can and hope for the best outcome. I can't design or write up a pattern, I leave that to others. I like testing pattern when I have the time.

So I guess you could call me an Adginner. That is Advanced in some and beginner in others. lol:hook

I would say I'm advanced. I'm not bold enough to call myself an expert. There isn't a pattern I'm not afraid to tackle and I've started designing, too.

I'm in my early thirty's and I've been crocheting for over 20 years. It's how I relax.

I always figure that I"m advanced beginner, more out of lack of gumption than anything else. I can follow a pattern and have no problem free forming something wacky (like a cherry pie pillow) but I've never tackled a truly complicated piece. I don't do clothes because I'm just not interested, so I never have had to test my shaping skills, and I still have to look up stitches in a book for a "refresher." I just don't find complicated stuff as relaxing, I guess.

Well this depends on what the technique is.

If it is taking yarn patterns and making them with thread -Advanced

If it is taking parts of patterns and putting them together

to make another - Advanced

If it is looking at a pattern like a puzzle and figuring it out - Advanced

If it is tunisian, Irish crochet or afghan stitch - Beginner

I am always learning and trying new things. I do not consider myself an Expert on anything. I do the best I can and hope for the best outcome. ..

So I guess you could call me an Adginner. That is Advanced in some and beginner in others. lol:hook

Yeah, what she said. Also, I'm a beginner designer...I'm trying to figure things out as I go, and I've been discovering new things every day.

I would say I'm an advanced crocheter for all the same reasons diamond listed. After 40 years I sould be. I would never consider myself an expert because I find myself learning something new almost every day. I am always amazed when I find I do already know something. Probably the one thing I'm not very good at is writing patterns. I could if I made myself sit down and do it. But I have my own sort of short hand that I understand so when I'm creating something I jot down things but if someone else tried to work off of it they would have problems.

I'd say advanced beginner. I can do almost any of the basic combo stitches (Clusters, popcorns, shells, etc.) and can do some basic blocking for felting, thread, etc. Have yet to do anything with sleeves...lol. I have no probs following a pattern when I slow down and read it step by step, but can make simple mistakes from not paying close enough attention. :hook

not to sure I guess I would say adventuer.

I learned when I was real small and actually did crochet quite a bit.

but all those years I never learned to read a pattern til we got the internet 8 years ago.

I always just made up whatever I wanted to make.

So I dont know what you call it after 25 years... an addiction?

Archived