What level of a crocheter are you?

Katchkan

Hi. I'm new here and am a beginner. I've only made simple scarves, a shawl, a throw, and three really simple baby hats (2 are Caps to the Capitol hats). For some reason I'm a big chicken to try something more advanced. I don't have anyone around to help and I really need to see things in person to learn them. I have really been inspired by all the wonderful crocheters here so maybe soon I can become an "advanced beginner"...

Julie

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Julie....welcome to Crochetville! You are NOT Alone.....we are all here to help you....there is a special place in our forums for crochet help and just giving a shout out will usually bring someone who has already done that pattern or technique to help you!!!!:ghug This is a SUPER friendly place and everyone is so helpful and kind.....be brave and try to learn small things little by little...a new stitch or how to change colors or whatever....you CAN do it!

:cheer I am an EXPERT, well I was until someone asked if I knew the definition of EXPERT was.

Here it is, X is an unknown quantity and a spurt is a drip inder pressure.

So now I am a Very Advanced Beginner.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I can do stuff that is sort-of complicated, but I usually do simple stuff and incorporate more complicated color changes and row patterns.

So I suppose advanced beginner/intermediate.

Not expert, mostly due to that :thair bullion stitch.

I think I am an intermediate crocheter. I can do almost anything I put my mind to, but some patterns still frighten me. I usually try to read through a new pattern and if I get stuck, then I don't do it.

I have been crocheting for 15 years straight, so I think that qualifies me.

I'll never be an expert, but that's fine with me.

:manyheart

Based on what Debbie wrote, I would call myself an intermediate crocheter. Even though I've been crocheting a lot of years, I've only just begun to take my crocheting outside my comfort zone. My retirement has given me the time to experiment with techniques and yarns. I'm trying to crochet garments, and I'm just beginning to develop the finishing techniques needed for those.

Advanced, I guess. I have met a few patterns that stumped me, so definitely not expert. I'll try any pattern that I fancy, can figure out a way to bead almost any crochet pattern, and I have designed a few pieces. Never thought about it actually, and I've never added a "level" needed to any of my patterns. Is this something I should try to do??

Hmmmm.....

I cannot make a bullion stitch...it has frustrated me for years! Maybe I better back myself up to an "intermediate"

i am a crochet monster...

i dunno if im an expert cuz there are things that i suck at, like crocheting with graphs :(

and only i and the people in my head understand me when it comes to trying to explain something. i dunno i just get all introverted and lost in my crochet when i get a new idea, then i make my idea happen and people are like "wow how did u do that?!" and im like "i dunno"

I think of myself as an intermediate crocheter. I don't enjoy long-term projects, so I don't really push myself to do anything elaborate, although I probably could.

I usually think of myself as intermediate/advanced. But with the patterns I usually see, I'm not afraid to try most of them. So if they call their 3rd level expert, I check the stitches, and usually go for it...but I think "expert" should be reserved for the lilychin's of the crochet world. I can design, I can work with most fibers, I can teach, and I'll tackle most any project that tickles my fancy. I won't let some publisher's rating stop me. (Ironically I learned that when I tackled an "advanced" doily from an old magic crochet magazine back when I considered myself an "intermediate beginner". I'd only been following patterns for about a year, and had never done anything charted...I didn't see the 3 stars at the top...it really wasn't that hard after all. so now, I usually don't bother with the ratings.)

What comes before beginner? :lol Seriously, I'm pretty much limited to rectangles. I can do any rectangle in basic stitches (afghan, bedspread, scarf, pillowcase). I can do simple triangles for a shawl. My stitches are pretty much limited to sc, hdc, dc. I managed to make a frog hat for my brother, and a phone pouch for my mom. That's about it. I mostly make baby blankets for friends, scarves for family, and bedspreads for myself. I usually start the bedspreads for someone else, but then after all that work and expense, am too selfish to give it away. Me greedy, yup. :devil

I tried crocheting in thread, but it hurts my hands and eyes. Way too small and so much work for such a little space. Makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

Have started to learn knitting from a desire to make clothing. Crochet patterns for clothing are just way too complicated for me. We'll see how it goes. So far, I can't get consistency in my stitches, but that just takes time.

So, bottom line, probably beginner.

This has been interesting reading.

Funny how it seems like we have to be so humble about our abilities.

I keep reading about Lilychin being an expert. Okay what sets her apart from some of our wonderful Crocheters here? I would really like to know.

• 2 weeks later...

i would classify myself alittle more than a beginner, but i have started branching out to tougher stuff that i never have tried, like working with more than one yarn at a time. After Christmas I will be starting my own projects.

I guess I think of myself as moving from advanced beginner to intermediate right now. Next month I'll have been crocheting for two years. I can handle medium-level patterns and stitches, I'm fairly comfortable with shaping so long as I'm following a pattern, and I've designed a few simpler patterns. I just don't have time these days to push myself to make anything really complicated or time-consuming, though. I do still have a bit of trouble with assembling multiple pieces, but that's because of my lack of sewing skills, not my crochet skills. (Seriously, I even have trouble sewing on buttons!! My mom has tried to teach me to sew a million times, and she cannot understand what my problem is! :lol)

But the real reason I don't truly think of myself as "intermediate" yet is that I still make rookie mistakes like underestimating the importance of a gauge swatch! :eek

I consider myself and expert because I have tried the really super challenging patterns and was able to complete them and come up with the same results as the example given.

I also consider myself able to look at a finished pattern and determine what stitches were used to achieve the end result. Not that I can just look at a finished product and work it backwards, but I can tell that coming up should be a round of a particular stitch, etc. Or I can spot the difference in what is written and what is shown in the example--like a pattern error.

I like this question--made me think!

Take care,

Lori

According to the levels of the crochet calendar, I'm about intermediate...BUT...BIG BIG BUT...I KNOW I make alot of mistakes and most of my works are challenged by my inexperience. I figure I'll keep making and giving my "irregular" items to my loved ones who REALLY appreciate my efforts (and probably can't see the mistakes anyway...but I know they are there).

I'd like to do the following better before I say I'm intermediate.

Weave ends, change colors, get straighter edges consistently.

I equate it to playing piano...I started playing a piano that my parents were "storing" for a friend, when I was about 5....When they realized that I could pluck out a recognizeable tune, knowing NOTHING about the instrument other than the sounds that it made...they hooked me up with lessons. I learned to read music. I quit taking lessons before I really got any great pieces mastered...but as an adult I picked up Moonlight Sonata in sheet music and frame by frame over and over and over and over again...got myself to the point that it sounded like a true pianist. (What I was really doing by playing it over and over was memorizing it) I can't just read it and spit it out like some people but...I can read it well enough to memorize it.

Anyway...thats what I do with crochet. One day i'll be a master crochetist!!!

I mostly crochet to relax so I usually pick the patterns labeled either beginner or advance beginner so I know I won't have any problem along the way (even though there's always something), no need to stress out!

There's also to consider that I've been crocheting for years and I could easily read a pattern and undestand the terms but Im scared to try the intermediate ones so I won't get stuck or frustrated, so I stick to the all the free patterns that I find on the internet always watching out the dificulty level.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm probably advanced intermediate.

i know basic techniques and can make most anything and make it quickly. i design my own items and write my own patterns and post them to my blog. a lot of the stuff i make turns out looking fit for a high end department store.

i'll try almost anything, there's not much i'm afraid of. i could be called advanced, but i don't know how to work with thread, i'm a yarn lover. and i just got the crochet stitch bible and i realized that i only know about 10% of the stitches listed in there and i look forward to making chenille snowflakes with some scrap i have once i'm done with my holiday gifts.

but up until this year i probably had the skills of a beginner. i learned from watching my mom, who learned from watching her mom. i never had proper technique as i was unaware there was such a thing. i picked up a copy of SnB Crochet this summer and by reading that and trying out the patterns, my crochet went from horrible to amazing in a matter of months. i'm so happy i found that book!

Archived