What level of a crocheter are you?

Katchkan

I believe I am an Intermediate. I generally don't have a problem following any directions. However I never look at the pattern to see what the rating is for difficulty either. I make what I want, when I want.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

ex·pert (ěk'spûrt')n.

A person with a high degree of skill in or knowledge of a certain subject.

I had to look it up. It's funny how modesty holds us back from admitting our skills. I've tried pretty much everything as far as crochet goes ... following patterns in yarn (plain and fancy) and thread (right down to sewing thread), crocheted probably every stitch I've found at least once, designed teddy bears and dolls in thread, adapted/created patterns for clothing, I've done freeform and sculptural crochet, and I've taught other people to hook. Just cuz there are things I don't like doing (broomstick and hairpin lace, afghans) doesn't take away from my skill level.

So me? Yeah, I'm advanced too. :hook

Brae

Hello! This is an interesting thread. I've learned a lot in the last year and can handle most patterns, so I consider myself intermediate. There's so much yet to learn. I think I'll consider myself advanced when I can design a somewhat elaborate sweater, which means knowing how to handle shaping in tandem with complex stitch patterns.

I'm never sure how to rate my level. To an outsider, anyone who can do more than chain is an expert.:P

I can read most patterns. I can even follow them most of the time, when I want :blush . My biggest problem isn't so much following patterns or being able to skillfully execute a project, but sticking to a pattern. I don't think there's a single pattern that I've done that I haven't changed at least one thing about! Sometimes I change the yarn and/or hook. Sometimes it's the color pattern. Some times it is the size itself. So, if being able to modify something to make it what you want qualifies you as intermediate or advanced, I guess that would be me. :shrug

I don't usually think I am because I don't have many complex stitch patterns memorized (face it, once you know sc, hdc, dc, trc, front and back post and reverse, the complex patterns are just combos of these....) I thrive on patterns... patterns of stitches, patterns of color etc, just not following directions. And like many have stated, I don't usually pay a lot of attention to what a pattern is ranked, because some things that others concider simple baffle me, but I can pull of some prety complex things when I try.

So, in the end, I have no idea how I'd rank myself. :D

I would guess that I am advanced, I can follow any pattern just may not be able to do all stiches, I can and do create my own designs when nothing else fits and can "fix' a broken pattern

Chrissy

In terms of degrees, I guess I consider myself as having a "Master's" in crochet, between advanced and expert?

But I am always learning (I am waay behind in the crochet times) new trends and techniques constantly.

You can't learn everything there is about crochet right?

I would say advanced since I can follow any pattern and make up my own on occassion to fit my needs. I have been crocheting for over 35 years and enjoy as much now as I did in my early years if not more. Today I crochet mostly for my daughters and grandsons, but still take time out to make donations to Afghans for Angels.

i guess i am a moderate crocheter. i can do most things but i'm scared to try a sweater because i'm afraid i won't be able to put it together right. i can do thread crochet but i don't like intricate patterns. i like things that i can more or less memorize so i don't have to carry instructions around.

i have gained so much knowledge from these boards that i am beginning to try new things and work a little harder at learning.

I guess I would call myself intermediate. I'm always changing yarn types or adding beads. I have taught others to crochet (and knit) and can help someone who is stuck. I'll tackle any pattern at least once. I also like to memorize a pattern and not carry books around. My resolution this year should be to gather all my patterns and organize them so I can find something new to try. My teenage daughter says I have too much yarn and that it's in every room of the house. Not true-none in the bathroom-yet!

I would consider myself an advanced, bordering on expert. There really is not much I cannot make and have started to write my own patterns. Now, mind you, this is strictly plain crocheting with yarn/thread, not beads, wire, etc.

I have done doilies, table runners, coasters all in thread; I have done ponchos, sweaters, stuffed animals, tunisian, tapestry, etc.

I think in order to rate someone it depends on the different stitches you know how to do and different items you can make and whether you can design. All in all, it does not matter what level you are, as long as you enjoy what you do and make people happy with you items...:manyheart

Hope

Shelbyville, KY

I do not know names of the stiches(english), but I make them all.

I do not understand written instructions but I make complicated pieces by looking to the pictures.

I do not have longer experience, I learned crocheting by myself,

I do not write pattern instructions in english but i can draw diagrams.

I make very simple and very hard patterns.

I use correct hook with right thickness of thread.

I like working combinated materials or style.(fabric with crochet, bead with thread, polyester thread with cotton thread)

I do not block my works, I iron them (from the opposite side of the objects ).

I do not hand wash them i wash in the washing machine.

I have about 19 designs, doilies and necklaces, bracelet, edge.

When I really can understand and write my patterns in this language (english), I will consider myself a better crocheter. Now I think I am good, in the near future i will be much better

Demet

I feel like I am am "experienced" but not an expert by any means.

I can figure out so far anything I REALLY want to figure out. I may have to frog and go and frog and go several times before I figure it out. Two years ago when I picked up a hook again, I gave up on a few patterns because it was too hard to follow the pattern. I'd get lost, now it's easier to keep it all straight. I have a good grasp of the crochet language so to speak.

I also feel more confident in my ability to help others. At least I HOPE I have helped others and not confused them in the help section.

I'd like to get a better garment design.

I am the kind of level where I don't pay attention to levels. Never have. It's just me, a whole lot of stubbornness, an ability to read directions carefully, and patience. I always want to try new things, so I don't really care what the level says. I do,, however know certain aspects of a pattern that I dread, so I stay away from them: cables and any other feature where you work into the chain during the pattern. UGH!

Hello,

I think an advanced learner.I can do most patterns by looking.I love a challenge, enjoy doing patterns where only a sketch is told to me.Like my friend wanted a halter top for her daughter and told me that the one she had seen had pineapples on it and could I make it.I did.Her daughter loved it.My friend saw it in the USA,I did in India and my friend`s daughter is wearing in Dubai.Hows that for world peace! Even though I am crocheting for more than 35 years I am still learning.

Sandhya.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Advanced! I have a very hard time finding a challenging pattern, in anything! Usually, I am always going for the afghans, sweaters, doilies that have a lot of work to them. And are always very detailed, and some patterns say advanced, and they work up fine. Some patterns I can just look at and do them without the pattern. I had a friend bring me an afghan that was made by a beloved grandma that needed to be repaired. I matched the yarn up as best I could and figured the pattern out. Made the new square and replaced the ruined piece. My friend was very,very happy about this. Her afghan was repaired!

• 4 weeks later...

I think I am an advanced beginner striving to learn so much more. I have never done a pattern that was classified higher than advanced beginner. I have read intermediate level patterns and because I got confused just reading the pattern, I've never actually tried to start the project for fear of getting to a point where I could not finish because I did not understand the instructions in the pattern. That is why I would love to hook up with someone near me who knows a lot more than I do that I could spend time with to increase my knowledge of the craft. I absolutely love this forum because I feel I have learned so much more already. I did a BICO and actually completed it. I remember seeing the pattern a couple of months ago before I knew about this site and thinking, "oh, I can't do that. It looks complicated" but now that I've actually completed one (with some help from this site) it is a very easy pattern.

Archived